[Quick Contset] THINGS (tm)

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is based on a party game named "Things". I wouldn't bore you with the details.

Here's what's gonna happen. 

1) All participants send me a PM of a SIMPLE Critieria* (recommended to limit yourself to a maximum of 7 words) describing something that you like in a design.

2) Everyone will  design by ALL of the received criterias. (Outright contradicting criteria will be adjusted by me with notice.)

3) I judge the cards by maximum of 4 points:
0~1 Creative (Does the card feel new? Is it exploring design space?)
0~1 Mechanic (Does the card work? Is it the best way to execute such design?)
0~1 Balance (Is it reasonably printable  AND, preferably at least limited, playable?)
0~1 Flavor (Does it make sense, or is it protraying the idea appropriately?)

4) Next part is secret.

5) Maybe a second round if this goes well.

[spoiler *Example of simple criteria]
- CMC 4 or greater
- Nonpermanent
- Spell that cares about frogs

Counter-example:
- In the alternate world of Innistrad where Angels became slave of demons instead of rising above them. Create a Preview card for the third set of Innistrad.

[/spoiler]

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Criteria submission will open for 24 hours or when I have 8 submissions whichever comes first. 

The design round will last 72 hours or so or when I have the time to close  the round and grade entries whichever comes later.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
The ease of screwing everything up in this contest intrigues me.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

The ease of screwing everything up in this contest intrigues me.

try it!

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Sent mine.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

oh yea. posting saying you are IN would be helpful. Thanks azureShade.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Sent.
sent
sent

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Sent&in

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

sent

please post cards in my threads they are special places to me

All restraints upon man's natural liberty, not necessary for the simple maintenance of justice, are of the nature of slavery, and differ from each other only in degree. -Lysander Spooner - "Trial by Jury" (19th century)

If you are unhappy with the recent update, especially if you are leaving or are thinking of leaving, please email me at gameostasis@gmail.com so we can talk about a solution. 

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Scent

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Sent! ( If Mown is not in... )
Scent

Smelled! Erm, I mean, uh, sent... >_> <_< -_-

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Submission closed.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
damn.
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
hey i will take you in too if you are interested.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Jo i will give you 5 minutes more or until i get the criterias up. 

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Grammar Nazi point: "criteria" is plural, "criterion" is singular.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

Grammar Nazi point: "criteria" is plural, "criterion" is singular.

haha damn i knew that coz' i just dictionary it earlier that day but i still made that mistake in a haste. 

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I want to this this monster.
Sent? 
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
[spoiler Original criteria with exactly how they are typed in their PM's]

• Must not be BLack

• Create a wedge charm.

• design for timmy

• Must create a token.

• "pro spider tribal"

• Design a card with cascade and buyback.

• A card with seven words total

• The card must involve a new card type

• A black card

• counters things or cares about counters

[/spoiler]

Compiled Criteria:

1. Card must be black PLUS 2 other colors (Updated as per contradiction) Together they must form a wedge. (a.k.a. the three colors must contain enemy colors)

2. Card must mention new card type

3. Card must be associated with spider tribal

4. Design for timmy

5. Card text must contain the following word: Cascade, Buyback, token, counter

6. Card must be modal with 3 options (a.k.a. charm), each mode must be 7 words in total. I will allow all keywords mentioned in the above criteria to be excempt from counting towards that total. (apologies to that special someone who wanted this)
    To be exact, the following words will not be counted towards the 7 words:
    Cascade
    Buyback
    token
    counter
    spider

Note: I don't think this will make it much easier, so I will go ahead and allow the famous Fallingman's "Create a token" wording. I personally liked it. To know more you can check out here.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

You guys have 72 hours Plus or minus the following die roll in hours.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Cascade Charm -
Instant 
Choose two - Create three 1/2 green Spider creature tokens with reach; Put a +1/+1 counter on three target creatures; Auras become Webs until end of turn.
Buyback   

Webs are subtypes for Enchantments much like Auras.
Creatures enchanted with Webs have the following:
"Enchanted creature cannot attack or block unless you pay {the converted mana cost of this Web}."
Otherwise, they function identically like Auras in this Spider themed set.  

An example:

Injected with Silk -
Enchantment - Web
(Enchanted creature cannot attack or block unless you pay .)
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature gets +1/+2 and has reach.
Ha. Hahaha. BUHABABABABABABABAHDISJDBCBCJAKWDNNFOAODMFNBCHAJBSNFOCNSBSJCJXJN *foams at mouth*
Arachnid Deathpack
Tribal Enchantment - Spider
Cascade
Whenever a player plays a Hex spell, choose one--Cast any spell with buyback from your hand; or create a 1/1 Spider token with reach and deathtouch; or put a +1/+1 counter on each Spider you control.
They creep and crawl, and in the walls they do it all to make you fall.

A Hex spell (the new card type as per requirements) is basically an equipment that gets attached to players instead of creatures. Most often, it's a negative effect meant to be attached to opponents.

For example:

Pyromancer's Hex
Hex
At the beginning of hexed player's upkeep, Pyromancer's Hex deals 1 damage to him or her.
Curse

(Here, "Curse" is the equivalent of "Equip", but it technically means "Cost: Attach this permanent to target player").

Like equipments, when a hexed player is out of the game, a Hex just falls off, ready to be reused. Also like equipments, a Hex's controller may pay the Curse cost at any time to move it to another player.

Anyway, that's just an explanation of the new card type referenced....the Arachnid Deathpack spider enchantment is the real entry .

I'll get right on this in the morning after I sleep and have fevered dreams of madness that will lead me to the correct answer.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

• Must not be BLack

I wonder who'se criteria this was.... HMMMMMMMMMM

192884403 wrote:
We can play even if we did not submit a criteria fast enough?

Living Spiderweb
Living Tribal Sorcery - Spider
Choose One - Put a 8/8 green spider creature token onto the battlefield; or destroy up to three target non-land permanents; or put five +1+1 counters on target creature you control.
Cascade
Buyback

The new type "Living" does something but I haven't decided what exactly yet. I have some ideas.

Don't be too smart to have fun
Wave of Spider Spawn   
Instant
Cascade, Buyback
Choose one – Put  four 1/2 green spider creature tokens onto the battlefield; or counter target non-Spider spell; or target player reveals a new Morphic card.

The next craze to hit the Magic side-venture community is Morphic.  In this setting, players have a side deck of ten Morphic cards that give random boosts and set hand limits similar to Vanguard cards.  During each player’s upkeep, that player may choose to do [something] to reveal a new Morphic card and discard the last.  There may or may not be a penalty for when you run out of Morphic cards.

first of all: confused out of my mind with this craziness!!!

Arachnid Generation
Sorcery
When you cast Arachnid Generation, you may have it gain Cascade or Buyback .  If you do, choose one of the following -- put a generator card onto the battlefield; or create a token copy of target spider generator; or remove all counters from target non-spider generator.  Otherwise, chose two.

Generators = generators are a new card type; they don't have mana costs and cannot be played; they can only be put onto the battlefield by effects allowing them to be so put; they each have a creature type in addition to the generator supertype; they function by creating creature tokens of the specified type whenever another spell of that type is cast; they enter the battlefield with a set number of counters on them; each time they create a creature token, a counter is removed from them; at the beginning of their controller's end step, if no spells of the creature type have been cast (and therefore no counters have been removed), they get one additional counter.  Generators are all colorless.

Example of a few Generators:

Arachnid Generator
Generator - Spider
Whenever a player casts a Spider spell, put a 2/4 green Spider creature token with reach onto the battlefield and remove a generator counter from Arachnid Generator.
At the beginning of your end step, if no counters were removed from Arachnid Generator this turn, put a generator counter on Arachnid Generator.
{2}

Abyssmal Generator
Generator - Demon
Whenever a player casts a Demon spell, put a 5/5 black Demon creature token with flying onto the battlefield and remove a generator counter from Abyssmal Generator.
At the beginning of your end step, if no counters were removed from Abyssmal Generator this turn, put a generator counter on Abyssmal Generator.
{1}

Serf Generator
Generator - Human
Whenever a player casts a Human spell, put a 1/1 white Human Soldier creature token onto the battlefield and remove a generator counter from Serf Generator.
At the beginning of your end step, if no counters were removed from Serf Generator this turn, put a generator counter on Serf Generator.
{4}

• Must not be BLack

I wonder who'se criteria this was.... HMMMMMMMMMM

good keep wondering . that's the next part.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
We can play even if we did not submit a criteria fast enough?

Living Spiderweb
Living Tribal Sorcery - Spider
Choose One - Put a 8/8 green spider creature token onto the battlefield; or destroy up to three target non-land permanents; or put five +1+1 counters on target creature you control.
Cascade
Buyback

The new type "Living" does something but I haven't decided what exactly yet. I have some ideas.

you are welcome to submit. i will even comment it but you will not be in the contest. sorry

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Compiled Criteria:

1. Card must be black PLUS 2 other colors (Updated as per contradiction) Together they must form a wedge. (a.k.a. the three colors must contain enemy colors)

2. Card must mention new card type

3. Card must be associated with spider tribal

4. Design for timmy

5. Card text must contain the following word: Cascade, Buyback, token, counter

6. Card must be modal with 3 options (a.k.a. charm), each mode must be 7 words in total. I will allow all keywords mentioned in the above criteria to be excempt from counting towards that total. (apologies to that special someone who wanted this)
    To be exact, the following words will not be counted towards the 7 words:
    Cascade
    Buyback
    token
    counter
    spider

Argh! Who the hell came up with these... Oh.

Nexus

"You are being watched."

Nexus is the upcoming first set of the Dalvan block. Dalvan is a hugely technologically advanced plane built about secrets and information. Dalvan is roughly a huge wheel. Each spoke a mini-civilisation where different mana and species are adundant. Dalvan is a wedge matters block where different people work with their enemies agaisnt a common cause.

Dalvan is a world of omipresent goverment survilence. Your every move is monitored. No-one knows what lies at the centre of the Dalvanian wheel, but that is the cause for their constant survilence. What lives at the nexus?

Secrets
In the Dalvan block, a new card type: Secrets are introduced. Each player starts with the game with up to three secrets. These are revealed at the beginning of the game and have certain positive effects. Then are shuffled into your library. When a secret is revealed, via whatever spell or ability, that secret has certain negative effects and is then exiled.

For example:
Butchered

Secret
Colour Indicator:

You begin the game with an artifact equipment token named "Blood-stained Cleaver" with "Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and intimidate" and "Equip "
When ~ is revealed, you get an emblem with "Creatures you control get -1/-1."

These represent the secrets that the people of Dalvan have that they don't want revealed; like that butcher you murdered or those documents you stole.

(Note: I think I might need to refine the power level of these to make them want to be playable but not broken.)

Web of Information
Secret
Colour Indicator:

You begin the game with an emblem with, choose one -- "Spider creature tokens you control have deathtouch and hexproof"; or "Instant and sorcery spells you control have Buyback "; or "Instant and sorcery spells you control have Cascade."
When ~ is revealed, you get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, you get a poison counter."

Stealing secrets from spiders in dangerous, you might get away but one bite and your death is only a matter of time...

Designing this was so awful... but I guess I'm kind of pleased with the end result...

Note: At this point, the Dalvan background kind of breaks down with intoducing: Secrets, Spider tribal, Buyback, Cascade and Poison all in the same card.
quick push before this drops out of page 2.

contestants I will give you all two more days for submission.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

192884403 wrote:

just make something. If you notice, a lot of the entries don't follow all of the criteria completely anyway.

You just want to score at least 1 point before the next phase. It will (might, i don't know, it seems my fun-threshold could be low compare to different people) be Fun!

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
tiny push. 

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I know I'm not a participant, but I saw the other one, and golly do I like restrictions!

Mystic Webbing -- :GM::UM::BM:
Instant (R)

Put a +1/+1 counter on target spider, then choose one - Spiders get +2/+4 until end of turn; or counter target insant or sorcery or Rigger spell; or until end of turn, spider spells have cascade.
Buyback

Riggers often left the undercity distraught over their webbed contraptions.

Alternate Flavor:

Spiders... Riggers hate spiders.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
quick push before this drops out of page 2.

contestants I will give you all two more days for submission.

so, where are we with this?
am interested to see where it's going
Sign In to post comments