How long do you see mtg lasting for?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
So how long do you think magic will stay around and have a decent following? Do you think it will ever be as popular as it once was? Are good things coming in the future or do you think things are just going down hill? 
Do you think it will ever be as popular as it once was?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Magic at it's peak popularity ever right now?

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Well, the game is pushing 20 years, and is more popular than ever. I'd say if someone was wondering whether it's a safe bet that the game will be around a while, I'd say it's farily safe.
I think Magic will last at least until management changes. The group in charge right now are doing a good job and if my FLGS is anything to go by (They have yet to still have extra RtR boosters left to sell by the middle of Friday Night) Magic is doing insanely well right now.

That said, it's always possible some sort of bizarre calamity will cause Magic to implode in on itself, but that seems unlikely. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I've been playing for about 6 years, and WotC has only gotten better at doing their job.  I don't see this changing in the foreseeable future, Wizards has consistently put long-term support from the players over short-term profit. There would have to be really major changes in the game  and its management for it to end. I could conceivably see it running 40, 50 more years even, provided no major social/political changes prevent the game from being able to be produced anymore.
57023148 wrote:
People really think WotC is reprinting Lightning Bolt? Really? Are people that gullible?
We've had to cap FNM drafts and sealed on a few occasions based on limited pack availability. People cashing in packs to play have always prevented the cap from actually affecting anyone and most of us really ought to be using our winnings, when they occur, as instore credit for singles anyways.

So, yeah, all that aquisition stuff that we hate really works. 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Magic at it's peak popularity ever right now?

The funny thing is, when I started playing, I saw it as a fad that, while enjoyable, probably wouldn't last. I've been playing since Fallen Empires.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

The funny thing is, when I started playing, I saw it as a fad that, while enjoyable, probably wouldn't last. I've been playing since Fallen Empires.

I started in/around 1996 and felt it was some small game that would be around but never reach the popularity it has hit.

It is certainly more popular than it has ever been and I can see that in the prices of the cards in secondary market and also the sealed product.  While I may not agree with all decisions it is certainly headed in a good direction for growth.  They have also learned a lot from previous mistakes.  The only problem they will have is eventually grooming good replacements for the current head people.  Especially Maro and all the exposure to the inner workings and behind the scenes stuff he does.

Not sure where the true peak will be and how much of a fall off it will have.  Though it should last a long time to come and it is still rising.

Considering that we've had these threads regularly for at least the last 10 years, I'd give it at least 10 more years.

EDIT: Apparently my d20 thinks we have 2 more years... Since when does this board have a dice rolling feature? And why did it randomly ask me to roll?

Considering that we've had these threads regularly for at least the last 10 years, I'd give it at least 10 more years.

EDIT: Apparently my d20 thinks we have 2 more years... Since when does this board have a dice rolling feature? And why did it randomly ask me to roll?

I'd assume all WotC boards have it, for RPGs and such. To make you feel better...
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
It is certainly more popular than it has ever been and I can see that in the prices of the cards in secondary market and also the sealed product.  While I may not agree with all decisions it is certainly headed in a good direction for growth.  They have also learned a lot from previous mistakes.  The only problem they will have is eventually grooming good replacements for the current head people.  Especially Maro and all the exposure to the inner workings and behind the scenes stuff he does.

Thinking on it, it occurs to me that to quite a few people, MaRo is Magic. I revise my earlier estimate: Magic will survive until the management changes or if some unfortunate accident befalls MaRo before any successor is ready.

As for the dice rolls: They were here for a couple hours a few days ago. I guess they're back now?

... My Magic d20 says the feature will be here for the next 15 minutes before abruptly vanishing. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
2012 was Magic's 4th consecutive "best year ever."  I do worry about what will happen when MaRo and his cohorts take their leave.  I would assume/hope that they are grooming the next generation.  WotC does a great job of supporting competitive, casual and all points in between.  I think it'll be fine for some time.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

A long time.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

It'll keep being a thing as long as people keep playing the game, I'd imagine the game would run for at least a number of years afterwards if they stop printing new content.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
I would have expected that Magic: the Gathering would have started dying off, oh, say, after the Lorwyn block, since it had been around for such a long time - and so new sets would be percieved as afterthoughts, with all the interesting events of Magic being in the past.

That hasn't happened. It's doing well again, after being affected by problems with the economy.

So it would be really hard for me to put a limit to how long Magic could continue for. Another 20 years? Perhaps another hundred?

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Yeah, basically, D&D forums.
139359831 wrote: