[GTC-ICD] Frontline Medic

127 posts / 0 new
Last post

Frontline Medic

Creature - Human Cleric (R)
Battallion - Whenever Frontline Medic and at least two other creatures you control attack, creatures you control are indestructible this turn.
Sacrifice Frontline Medic: Counter target spell with  in its mana cost unless its controller pays .
3/3
3/3 for 3

Excellent Battalion effect.

Sphinx's Revelation Hoser/delayer.

Hard to not see this as a mandatory 4-of for Boros weenies.
Well... it makes your overextending less vulnerable to combat tricks, at least. Shame it doesn't do anything against board wipe.

Needless to say, a complete house in Limited, even though that last ability feels... really random.
Rules Nut Advisor
Mehhhh, that last ability feels tacked on. Ruins an otherwise decent card for me.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I think this will definitely see play. 3/3 for 3, relatively powerful effect and the ability to flip off anyone who tries to Sphinx's Revelation.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
I like the card but I really don't get it. I get the first ability the frontline medic makes it difficult to kill the attacking creatures. The second ability doesn't tie into the card well at all. I'm glad it's there and it makes the creature better but it makes no sense. I wish they had used that ability on a creature without the battalion mechanic.
Don't be too smart to have fun
I agree with everybody else.  The card is good, but that last ability is just awkward.  It's like they said, "Oh, spells are getting played too much in FFL!  Better slap on a random hosing ability." or something..

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Definitely feels like: "Hrm, we need an answer to X spells that can be played in our white aggro archtype but not on a card that was already an auto-include."

That said, this card really belongs in swarm decks that would like to be able to attack through bigger guys. Maybe have Rootborn Defenses as a sweeper protector.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Nice card for limited.   I am thinking it should have been uncommon.  Maybe it damaged the FFL's limited games as an uncommom.
Still a good card.  a 3/3 for 3 is good, its batalion is makes combat often onesided.  Its last abiltiy seems pretty limited but can have use.
This card will probably eat a kill pretty soon, whicih at 3 mana is not terrible since if it does make for a turn can do some nice things for you.  Boros really wants some way to give creatures haste. 
This is the worst design I've seen in a long time.

Why not just print "Counter target Sphinx's Revelation" on it. It doesn't even make any sense on this card. 

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Nice card for limited.   I am thinking it should have been uncommon.  Maybe it damaged the FFL's limited games as an uncommom.
Still a good card.  a 3/3 for 3 is good, its batalion is makes combat often onesided.  Its last abiltiy seems pretty limited but can have use.
This card will probably eat a kill pretty soon, whicih at 3 mana is not terrible since if it does make for a turn can do some nice things for you.  Boros really wants some way to give creatures haste. 

That Goblin with Fervor stapled to it, for example.
I doubt this will be constructed playable.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Maybe it's meant to protect against bonfire of the damned

That Goblin with Fervor stapled to it, for example.

I thought of that, but not sure how much I like it,  the fact it makes your guys attack it so-so to me. It is an option in limited. Maybe I am just being greedy, but I want something else too.

Regarding the flavor of the third ability.  If you think of X spells in regard to fireballs and such, the flavor works pretty well.  This could been an example when mechanics and gameplay trumped flavor, but I do not see it as complete flavor hatchet job.
Or as said by right before me

Maybe it's meant to protect against bonfire of the damned

EDiT:  I just want to say that this set has the ingredients for some really good design and development artlicles. I hope they took good notes.
That Counter Target Overpowered Spell makes me completely and utterly LOATHE this card. 
An X-hoser seems way more in flavor with Orzhov or Azorius. Or, not counting White, maybe Gruul? But definitely not Boros.

Still, good card. I think its constructed playable, even if its only sideboard-worthy (although I still fundamentally dislike Battalion)

Why not just print "Counter target Sphinx's Revelation" on it. It doesn't even make any sense on this card. 

Yeah, I thought Thundermaw Hellkite was the worst for having "Lingering Souls and Moorland Haunt tokens will not block this" in its rule box, but this easily steals the show.

You can, albiet somehow awkwardly, give hellkite's ability flavor reasonings, but why in the actual **** is a medic countering spells (unless they pay ... even less sense) by sacrificing itself?

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
That Counter Target Overpowered Spell makes me completely and utterly LOATHE this card. 

All this card is really doing is saying "sacrifice this creature to make target spell with X in the casting cost do 3 less than the caster wanted to do."

The only way to actually make this fully counter an X overpowered spell is to flash it into play with a leyline of anticipation or similar trick. Otherwise, the opponent is going to know that it's there and that his X spell is going to cost 3 more than normal.
No, what it's doing is 'opponents must leave 3 mana open and not use x spells to their full extent'.

Anyway, this is constructed playable. For real.
Flash it in in Bant Control with Alchemist's Refuge.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin

All this card is really doing is saying "sacrifice this creature to make target spell with X in the casting cost do 3 less than the caster wanted to do."

The only way to actually make this fully counter an X overpowered spell is to flash it into play with a leyline of anticipation or similar trick. Otherwise, the opponent is going to know that it's there and that his X spell is going to cost 3 more than normal.

That's even better, because then he is letting all of his X spells cost 3 more than normal.

You're half right. But it actually says, "Spells your opponent's cast with X in the mana cost, cost an additional 3." The only reason you would ever need to sacrifice your creature is if your opponent is desperate enough that their big awesome X mana spell is needed as a removal spell for this 3/3 battalion body.

Or you could, you know, play Negate.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

terrible design. not a bad card though.

Or you could, you know, play Negate.

negate is too narrow, with this you can counter ANY spell with X in its casting cost....

"The cards I like are fine; the cards that stop the cards I like aren't fine."

Functionally good for aggro decks, because you guys use that bloody card to recover from aggro. This helps make sure that aggro can push itself through defenses. This is NOT a Limited card, this is definitely geared toward Standard, perhaps even Modern.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Great in Limited, but Constructed... Maybe in Humans? Or maybe not.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Champion of the Parish into Lightning Mauler into this seems like fun.

You're half right. But it actually says, "Spells your opponent's cast with X in the mana cost, cost an additional 3." The only reason you would ever need to sacrifice your creature is if your opponent is desperate enough that their big awesome X mana spell is needed as a removal spell for this 3/3 battalion body.

No, I was fully right =P. If your opponent WANTED to fully kill you with an X miracle spell, but can only do three less, then it does 3 less damage than they wanted. They could keep it in their hand and not miracle it, until they get 3 more mana, but at that point, it'll cost a whole lot more since that's the nature of miracle spells. If your opponent drew a sphinx's revelation and needed to refill his hand and/or get enough life to survive another attack wave before stabilizing, but can only do 3 less than what's currently available, then he can only do three less. I'm not going to let him get 3 more mana on the field, I'm going to counter the %%%%ing spell if he's stupid, but take off 3 life and 3 cards if he's smart.

No, I was fully right =P. If your opponent WANTED to fully kill you with an X miracle spell, but can only do three less, then it does 3 less damage than they wanted. They could keep it in their hand and not miracle it, until they get 3 more mana, but at that point, it'll cost a whole lot more since that's the nature of miracle spells. If your opponent drew a sphinx's revelation and needed to refill his hand and/or get enough life to survive another attack wave before stabilizing, but can only do 3 less than what's currently available, then he can only do three less. I'm not going to let him get 3 more mana on the field, I'm going to counter the %%%%ing spell if he's stupid, but take off 3 life and 3 cards if he's smart.

I'm sorry, I don't think you fully understood what I said, or even what you are saying. Unfortunately I don't know how to make it any clearer.
Good constructed card.

The invincibility is good: once you declare attackers and your opponent passes back pririty, you will know for sure whether you can trigger the ability.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Why is that last ability?
Great card but i agree with the majority that the last ability is kinda tacked on and awkward. It doesnt even make sense flavor wise.
Exactly what you want in a limited aggro deck.  The 2nd ability makes no sense whatsoever though, it's not white, it has nothing to do with the boros or a battlefield medic, and it's super narrow.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Medic!

IMAGE(http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3myC4xuC1-g/SdROTbT0KXI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/k0WRQTJs1bI/s400/UberCharge.jpg)
Decent card, ugly design.
I think the second ability makes more sense if you view it from a rakdos's return/devil's play/bonfire of the damned direction.

He's throwing himself in the way of the attack and unless you pay his mana cost in mana to literally force the spell through his body, the spell is blocked.  It doesn't make sense for Sphinx's revelation, but it makes sense for a great many x spells - which are direct damage x spells.

There's always going to be flavor snafu's though - Ambush Viper with lightning greaves or whatever.
One day I want to see someone play Mikaeus, the Lunarch, countered by Frontline Medic, and say "Wait you can't counter Mikaeus, it doesn't have... Oh dang it!!"
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
WHAT ON EARTH IS THAT MAN DOING TO HIS ABILITIES
It also counters Gridlock and Clan Defiance. There might be a large number of X spells in this set.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin

Being able to attack with impunity is great, being able to attack with impunity and then wrath the board even better, but having counter stapled on for sphinx's revelation, bonfire of the damned, entreat the angels, rakdos's return and a few lesser cards seems needlessly clunky.

EDIT: time to bring in the pithing needle from the sideboard.