Heartless Hidetsugu deck help

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
So since I saw him I've wanted to make a Heartless Hidetsugu deck.  As a Johnny, obviously I wanted it to be a combo deck, but all I could think of with him was lifeling and Furnace of Rath... That is of course until red decided to get a little more one sided with it's double damage using cards like Quest for Pure Flame and Curse of Bloodletting.  Now we're talking!

I have a basic combo figured out, I just need help with filling in the rest.  There are so many directions I could go that I'd like to see what people suggest jsut in case I missed somehting.  Anyways, here's what I have so far:

any thoughts, comments, etc?
Hidetsugu + damage doubling effect + you life total is odd and their's is even.

Grove of the Burnwillows and Karplusan Forest help with making their life total even and your's odd.  Green gives some good creature tutors.  Throw in some light burn, just to make sure you can manipulate the life totals and you could be set.

I like Overblaze myself, they won't see it comming until it's too late.

Going Green would be good for the deck if you want to run Hedetsugu with Curse, since they're both 5 drops, and Green's mana ramp will let you play it all sooner.  I wouldn't go Quest, it's way too slow to activate if you draw it late.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Hidetsugu + damage doubling effect + you life total is odd and their's is even.

Grove of the Burnwillows and Karplusan Forest help with making their life total even and your's odd.  Green gives some good creature tutors.  Throw in some light burn, just to make sure you can manipulate the life totals and you could be set.

I like Overblaze myself, they won't see it comming until it's too late.

Going Green would be good for the deck if you want to run Hedetsugu with Curse, since they're both 5 drops, and Green's mana ramp will let you play it all sooner.  I wouldn't go Quest, it's way too slow to activate if you draw it late.

you know, for some reason I thought Hidetsugu rounded up, not down.  Though I prefer the one sidedness of the curse, and the quests' free activation.  I could substitute quests for Overblaze I suppose, but it does seem expensive, and doesn't allow me to choose any source (which could include burn). With all these 4 and 5 mana cards floating around in the deck idk if I want that.  Maybe I'll jsut run some kind of discard outlet like Compulsive Research to discard them if I draw them late

Green sounds good though, how about Kodama's Reach (to make Hidetsugu san feel at home) and Harmonize to start out?
id prefer time of need to harmonize here. You dont want a bunch of spells you just want 2-3 (hidetsug, a doubler and maybe basilisk)

maybe go with only landfetch ramp and some red sweep like starstorm
20 combo pieces (8 of each type you need + 4 basilisk)
12 ramp cards
4-8 sweep
20-24 land

sounds about right to me Perhaps find room for 1 or 2 asceticism

sideboard would need to be anti control though, with maybe a few more sweeps or lifegain.
From experience, you'll prefer a hasty Heartless Hidetsugu.

Hall of the Bandit Lord is an option, but Lightning Greaves is best.  Fervor and even Urabrask the Hidden can work, as well. For giggles and old school cred, I run Emberwilde Djinn, who loves haste as well.

My HH deck is RW for Spirit Link and sometimes Rune of Protection: RedPersonal Sanctuary would be there, if I had any... Palisade Giant, maybe? 

While my deck is geared for MP games, I occasionally pilot it in duels where it does meh... probably due to little ramp.

HH makes a fine commander for EDH games - he speeds games along nicely.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
at this point, especially with green fetches, I could add a third color if needed.  If I were to do that it would either be Black or Blue.  Black for tutors, blue for draw.  White could prevent damage, but I like to live dangerously ;)

I considered Time of Need but I hate running that card when I only have one legendary creature in the deck.  Since there are a bunch of pieces to this one (HH, collar, and a doubler + a haste/protection card) I feel like keeping my grip full of cards or just running Diabolic Tutor is a better option.

But you know, I've been looking for an excuse to run Thousand-Year Elixir for a long time, and this seems like as good a time as any to try it out.  That'll give me a way to activate HH twice when he comes out since it untaps things as well.

now all I need is some things that tap to draw cards, maybe looters in blue + Arcanis the Omnipotent so I have a reason to run Time of Need and perhaps a pinger or two.  I'll have to do a gatherer seach.