[GTC-ICD] Pit Fight

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
IMAGE(http://i47.tinypic.com/2z87wpe.png)
Pit Fight
Instant (Common) 1

Target Creature you control fights another target creature.
"All the coins in Ravnica can't save his soul now." 
- Narbulg Nine Fingers

the most flexible card in the fight mechanic we've seen?
Narbulg Nine Fingers is the Wettest Name.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I can dig this one.
I bet 30 coins on the big guy.
Definitely a more playable prey upon. Should be nice in limited.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Instant speed Prey Upon at common is horrifying.

GTC limited is going to be a scary place.
Instant, and red, and green, and removal.

Green/Gruul want this, I'm not sure if red does (perhaps a resolved Vexing Devil?)
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
You know, I think I'm still going to do a Dimir run at prerelease, but I'm DEFINITELY going Gruul first.
Great card for limited.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Instant, and red, and green, and removal.

Green/Gruul want this, I'm not sure if red does (perhaps a resolved Vexing Devil?)

You can still fight your vexing devil when enters battlefield before you sacrifice it, I guess, since its triggered ability still on the stack.
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
why is this instant? =O what happens if you play it at combat phase? Make their 11/11 unblockable (hypothetically) fight your 1/1 deathtouch?
Elegant though obvious.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Gruul in limited gets better each day.

On a side note, isn't High Priest of Penance in the artwork?

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

It's about time we have Instant speed Fight.    
why is this instant? =O what happens if you play it at combat phase? Make their 11/11 unblockable (hypothetically) fight your 1/1 deathtouch?

This is why a certain poster on the 1st page is going to be scared of GTC draft. Because of stuff like this.

Like I said, red most likely won't want it, although it COULD turn a table around more easily for a green/very big creatures deck (which is Gruul, duh). Also, possible synergy with Bloodrush.

Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
I despised Prey Upon, but as a hybrid instant for more that lets you make two of your own critters fight on the offhand chance you really need to... I could warm up to it.  Instant really makes all the difference, changing it from a marginal Bone Splinters to a potential combat trick/combat trick counter

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

I despised Prey Upon, but as a hybrid instant for more that lets you make two of your own critters fight on the offhand chance you really need to... I could warm up to it.  Instant really makes all the difference, changing it from a marginal Bone Splinters to a potential combat trick/combat trick counter

Prey upon was always very good limited removal.  This is no different.
This is better than Ultimate Price in some decks. Also, really good with Bloodrush.
Now I can really feel like an evil overlord as I have my creatures spill their own allies' blood!
Now I can really feel like an evil overlord as I have my creatures spill their own allies' blood!

yeah, particularly when one of them is stuffy doll
I haven't decided how I feel about it. It might be amazing. It might not. Errrr. Probably playable.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I like it at instant. it really accents the gruul flavor of unpredictable violence.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
holy **** this looks good. another potential cube card!
Oh cool you can make two of your creatures fight each other! XD

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
But don't most recent fight cards allow that interaction? Why is this a big deal?
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Instant speed? I can dig it!
But don't most recent fight cards allow that interaction? Why is this a big deal?

Because it's an Instant speed trick.     
This card is gonna be sick.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Wonderful, wonderful card in Limited. Probably cubeable too. Me gusta!
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
o-O; So they finally decided to make a :G: and :R: Doom Blade that wasn't limited by being a creature with deathtouch or a sorcery. Something tells me part of GTC's design involved "make people love Gruul".
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I really wanted this to be or even so it could become a core set staple. No love for green. Red has burn all ready, Gruul will run burn.
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
Forget Gruul, Simic and Izzet cause this as removal if the counterspell in hand isn't used.

"Before the end of your turn ... that Pit Fights the Croc Frog! Croc Frog wins."

I so want to say that.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Called it (-:
This can be good when your opponent targets your creature with removal, you can respond to make it a trade instead. Prey Upon couldn't do that.
o-O; So they finally decided to make a :G: and :R: Doom Blade that wasn't limited by being a creature with deathtouch or a sorcery. Something tells me part of GTC's design involved "make people love Gruul".

Make people like Green, more likely.

Golgari, Simic and Gruul are all looking pretty darn strong.

Orzhov...
I'm not even sure what the heck they're doing. 
So with prey upon, this, Domri and Tracker, Gruul has a ton of ways to fight and get rid of most fliers or pesky creatures with low toughness but good abilities. I dig it. Wasn't Fight Club a thing? If so, it just got a new best friend.
Hey look, yet another card to go into my Junk deck with the new Orzhov Cleric that Vindicates when it takes damage.

This, Prey Upon, Ulvenwald Tracker, Deadly Allure, Revenge of the Hunted.

It will be so bad, but it will make so many people angry I just have to play with it.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Definitely happy to see a low mana cost instant Fight.  Goes well with first strike, a good use of creatures that are going to die anyway, and good for removing a blocker or utility creature.
Definitely happy to see a low mana cost instant Fight.  Goes well with first strike, a good use of creatures that are going to die anyway, and good for removing a blocker or utility creature.

First Strike doesn't factor into a Fight.    
Orzhov...
I'm not even sure what the heck they're doing. 

Orzhov was "grind control" in the original Ravnica, along with "death triggers" and "lifegain/payment".

But let's see the green guilds:

Trostani, Selesnya's Voice: Bant or Naya, this is pretty cool tech. Or just abuse Nacatl War-Pride with it.

Deadbridge Goliath is strictly better than Juzam Djinn. He might come out on turn 3 rather than turn 2, but that's what you get for the option to not hurt yourself.

Then we have this and Zegana, and yeah.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

It sure does, when you can fight in the first strike combat damage step, after your first strike creature has dealt damage, and before your opponent's normal striking creature deals damage.  Use an extraneous creature to deal the remaining damage, and save your better first striker.

You could do the same thing with a direct damage spell, but presumably you're playing a deck that can make use of this card in its normal "take out an opponent's creature" mode.

It sure does, when you can fight in the first strike combat damage step, after your first strike creature has dealt damage, and before your opponent's normal striking creature deals damage.  Use an extraneous creature to deal the remaining damage, and save your better first striker.

You could do the same thing with a direct damage spell, but presumably you're playing a deck that can make use of this card in its normal "take out an opponent's creature" mode.

Damn.

The Johnny in me died a little.

My devil artifact runs towards the angel in front of you...
The angel braces herself, knowing the little devil will get the first hit.
The devil stabs with his sprear, and the angel swings her sword in agony, and...
*Cue gameshow music*
The angel looks around herself confused as the goblin announcer sais:
"In the red corner, Rakdos, Loooooooord of Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiots!"
The angel lowers her sword... "What the?"
"In the blue Corner, Jenna, the 'Restoration Angel'!"
"What madness is this?"
Rakdos smiles... "I hope you're going to enjoy this as much as Me..."
"Wait... Planeswalker! PLANESWALKER!! HELP!"
The announcer wrinkles his face in empathy, and lets out a small *Ouch*.
"Rakdos, wins!"
*The lights fade and the announcer disappears into the shadows as Rakdos, himself, flies headfirst into your lair and delivers a terrible blow.*

From the shadows, a voice can be heard...
"No restoration for you, angel..!"