[GTC-ICD] Prime Speaker Zegana

107 posts / 0 new
Last post

Prime Speaker Zegana
2 GGUU
Mythic Rare
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Wizard  
Prime Speaker Zegana enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the greatest power among other creatures you control.
When Prime Speaker Zegana enters the battlefield, draw cards equal to its power.
1/1 
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
I want her as an edh general now.
O_O
So turn 5 Thragtusk, turn 6 Zegana sounds pretty decent...
Nice.  Thragtusk was the first creature that came to mind, but green creatures+evolve creatures...nice card advantage.     
restooooooooooooooooooooo.
i can't help but compare her to mulldrifter 
Thragtusk

I draw 5 and get a 6/6 for........... SHE'S A TITAN!

That is all.

Also..... might see some play in those Bantroll decks.

Or we could go turn 4 Corpsejack Menace, turn 5 Thragtusk, turn 6 this to get a..... 11/11 or 9/9 and draw that many cards.

Seems fine all things considered.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Hooray for Cavern of Souls!

Oh wait, I mean I hate everything.

Thragtusk and Restoration Angel make me want to jump off a cliff.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

This is not a constructed sort of card.
It is, however, a very entertaining Commander general.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing

She's definitely on my to-do list of commanders to build around.  She looks like fun.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Meh. Pretty Dry. Could be Wetter.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Kind of boring, but hella good CA and huge guy. I am satisfied
Holy mother of OPness.

Definately going into my RUG midrange build.

Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats
EDH crap nothing more.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

The coolest thing with this card is that it always triggers every Evolve card on the table, regardless of size.

Otherwise, I feel its a bit dull. The decks that want a draw 8 spell for 6 mana generally don't have critters on the board to pump her.

Probably still fun in EDH though.
I for one welcome our new fishy overlord.
with a 3/3 on the field (not too hard) it's a 4/4 and 4 cards for 6 mana. Not bad. Could be some serious CA.

May not make it in competitive (but it has a decent shot I think), but EDH will love this chick. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
why can't Lazav be 2UUBB and steal ALL creatures... ugh?

sigh.

This card is pretty much built for bant. 
I don't know if she'll be played in constructed (I bet there's a good chance, though) but you can be damn sure that she really loves Thragtusk.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Everything loves being played with Thragtusk.
I'm going to say, off an educated guess, she'll see play in the decks that really want this (most likely Bant, and U/G if some of the cards end up pulling their weight).

As I said earlier, she can be devastating if not answered, and even if she is, the combo I came up with is pretty resilient (shush Slaughter Games!). You'll end up drawing 9 with just Corpsejack Menace down, 11 with Thragtusk and menace, 6 with Thragtusk, and 4 off the beast token, in addition to having a creature based off how many you drew. And since it's EtB...... Yeah, you get value straight away (however heavy) with a board presence of any sort.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
lol. blink this and watch you draw cards like no tomoro
Well now... I think I just found my top end for my splinterfright deck. Basically turns her into a creature version of grim flowering, just more color intensive. Only problem I see with that is possibly killing myself off the draw number... probably add a lab maniac for good measure. Cant wait to play this and ghoultree for 7 to draw 11 cards. Seems pretty damn nice as an EDH general as well.
This will probably be one of the hot sellers of this set. She's an EDH staple, for sure. Some commanders are made for comboes, some are enablers, some are strategies unto themselves, and some are just straight up value, and she is one of those. Anything UG will like her, since she makes for a great midgame value play. EDH decks love always having something they can do with their mana, and this makes it a lot easier to stay competitive into the late game. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
Gilder Bairn just happens to be the same colours...

Oh Zygana, mine mistress be true, why have I pre-ordered just two of you .

This is absolutely a constructed sort of card.  With Thragtusk in standard, you're almost guaranteed at least a 4/4 that draws you 4 cards.
More important than Thragtusk is Resto Angel, IMO.
Likes anthems and such:

Your 2/2 actually gives her 3 counters, and those 3 counters make her a 5/5 on entry meaning when it's checked you draw 5 cards.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
I like that it's equal to her power, not the number of +1/+1 counters on her.  Means she works well with Master of the Pearl Trident.
if you copy her with evil twin, they both die, but do you get the card draw?
if you copy her with evil twin, they both die, but do you get the card draw?

Ye, it checks the last know quanity for her power
You are Red/Blue!
Keep in mind that if your opponent controls the Zegana you're copying, the copy's ability checks your field, not his.

This also means multiple Zeganas in hand aren't necessarily dead, as you can chain their draws into each other.
A bit boring as far as guild leaders go. She's...a vanilla beater. With an ETB ability. There are very few legendary creatures this dry since the ones from Legends.

(as Pablo said, could be wetter)

But she's certainly potent in terms of value. I mean, I would love this effect on some random Beast. Maybe a mythic Ooze. Doesn't really suit a legendary Merfolk Wizard guild leader.
Keep in mind that if your opponent controls the Zegana you're copying, the copy's ability checks your field, not his.

This also means multiple Zeganas in hand aren't necessarily dead, as you can chain their draws into each other.

does this mean if I have a 3/3 and their Zegana is 5/5 I can only draw 4 cards?

Also, what? Elaborate. 
I don't know... I don't like cards like this that don't do anything to help you from an empty board state. What if they kill your creature in response, and now you're tapped out? Don't think I like this.

Oh, and why come no Islandwalk??
This is slightly disappointing without any form of evasion. I mean, Islandwalk! Seriously!

Still, good enough to change up my Edric, Spymaster of Trest EDH to make her the commander.
This is slightly disappointing without any form of evasion. I mean, Islandwalk! Seriously!

Master of the Pearl Trident.

Master of the Pearl Trident.

If you were doing tribal, yeah, that's fine and good.

Would still be preferable with some evasion/protection of her own though. 
You're all missing the point.

The fact that she's a creature (and bound to be the strongest of your dudes when she hits the field) is the FROSTING on this cake.

It's nice to get a body, but the real thing that makes her awesome is that the drawing ETB can be relentlessly exploited with Restoration Angel and Deadeye Navigator.

This will see play in any deck running Thragtusk. Green loves card draw, and this delivers in spades.

Heck, she even works thematically with Evolve triggers. 

Gonna be huge, and I'd wager one of the chase rares of this set. Better than Obzedat, even. 
garruk...
Meh. Pretty Dry. Could be Wetter.

Indeed. Quite disappointing considering she's a merfolk.

Also, to people saying it'll be a constructed staple, bear in mind that this has to fight with Sphinx's Revelation. And revelation has instant speed, gives you life, and still works even if you have no board presense.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?