Help with an encounter to bring the PC's from 10 to 11. DEMISE MK2

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm working on customizing a villain for my campaign.  Some of you may or may not have already played the module for Eberron called Seekers of the Ashen Crown for 4E.  One of the villains from that module is called Demise (or final demise in certain spots).  When my players went through that module Demise ended up not being killed by the party and left the spotlight for a time.  We're now over 2 years later (in-game time) and she has continued to grow in power.  One of the things that I've added is that she has become a Lich.

I've already posted in other parts of the boards but I would like more feedback if possible.  I know that many of you are DM's yourselves and might be able to offer very good advice.

Much thanks.

Demise, Lich Skullborn

Demise, Lich Skullborn
Level 11 Elite, medium fey humanoid (elf)
Controller (Leader)
XP 1600

HP 258; Bloodied 129            Initiative +10
AC 27; Fort 25; Reflex 24; Will 27              Perception +11
Speed 7                  Darkvision
Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 necrotic, 10 cold
Saving Throws +5; Action Points 2

TRAINED SKILLS:
Arcana +16; Bluff +15, History +16, Religion +16, Stealth +13

STR 9 (+4); DEX 13 (+6); WIS 14 (+7); CON 16 (+8); INT 22 (+11); CHA 20 (+10)

Allignment: EVIL                    Languages: Common, Draconic, Elven, Giant

TRAITS:

In the Presence of Demise - Aura 5 (Necrotic, Cold)
Any creature that enters or starts its turn in the aura takes 5 necrotic and cold damage.

Shadowdance Robes
Demise's area attacks and ranged attacks don't provoke opportunity attacks.

Wild Step
Demise ignores difficult terrain when she shifts.

Necrotic Mastery
Demise can change the damage type of any power she uses to Necrotic or add the Necrotic keyword to it.  Even powers that don't normally have an energy type.

Indestructible
When Demise is reduced to 0 hit points, she and possessions crumble into dust, but she is not truly destroyed.  She reappears in 1d10 days within 1 square of her phylactery.  Unless her phylactery is found and destroyed.

Demise's Will
Whenever Demise begins her turn with a effect, her sheer willpower allows her to reduce the condition to a lesser one.  Dominated -> Stunned -> Dazed -> condition ends.  Retrained -> Immobilized -> Slowed -> Condition ends.  So IE:  Demise begins her turned stunned, she becomes instead dazed.

POWERS:

Standard Actions

Life Tap (necrotic, healing) - At-Will, MBA
Attack: +15 vs Fort; Demise gently syphons her victims life energy into herself.
Hit: 2d6 + 8 necrotic damage, and Demise regains 15 hitpoints.

Vampiric Beam (necrotic, healing) - At-Will, RBA
Attack: Ranged 10; +15 vs Fort; Demise raises her arm and a dark beam of energy lashes out at her victim, rejuvinating Demise.
Hit: 2d8 + 6 necrotic damage, and Demise regains 5 hit points.  If this attack bloodies a target, that target is weakened until the end of Demise's next turn.

Twin Beams - At-Will
Effect: Demise makes two Vampiric Beam attacks.

Zombie Cloud (poison, zone) - Encounter
Attack: Area burst 1 within 10; +15 vs Fort
Hit: 4d8 + 6 poison damage.  The burst creates a zone of lightly obscured squares.  A creature that enters the zone or starts its turn there takes 1d8 + 4 poison damage.  A living creature reduced to 0 hit points or fewer within the zone rises on its turn with 1 hit point and is dominated (no save), but can use only basic attacks.  Any healing used on a dominated target works normally and ends the dominated effect.  Demise can move the cloud 3 squares as a move action.  Sustain Minor: The zone persists.

Lich's Ire (cold) - Recharge 4,5,6
Attack: Area burst 2 within 10; +14 vs Reflex; Demise collects frost into an orb that she lobs at her foes.
Hit: 2d8 + 8 cold damage.  The target takes ongoing 5 cold damage and is immobilized (save ends both).   Miss: Half damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).

Second Wind (healing) - Encounter
Effect:  Demise spends a healing surge and regains 64 hit points.  She gains a +2 bonus to all defenses until the start of her next turn.

Move Actions

Ghostwalk - Encounter
Effect: Demise can shift up to her speed.  She becomes insubstantial and gains phasing until the end of her next turn.

Minor Actions

Frightful Gaze (fear, gaze) - At-Will
Attack:  Close blast 3; +13 vs Will
Hit:  The target is pushed 5 squares and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends).  First Failed Saving Throw: The target is dazed, immobilized, and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends all).

Hideous Laughter (fear, psychic) - Encounter, Recharges when Demise bloodies an or reduces an enemy to 0 hit points.
Attack: Close Blast 3; +13 vs Will
Hit: 1d8 + 4 psychic damage, and the target takes a -3 penalty to all defenses until the end of Demise's next turn.

Demise's Guile -  Recharge 5,6
Effect: Demise regains the use of an expended encounter power.

Deceptive Veil (illusion) - At-Will
Effect: Demise can disguise herself to appear as any Medium humanoid, usually a beautiful elf or eladrin.  A successful Insight check (opponsed by Demise's Bluff check) pierces the disguise.

Free Actions

Elven Accuracy -  Encounter
Effect: Demise can reroll an attack roll, taking the second result even if it's lower.

The party consists of a Ranger, Cleric, Barb, Wizard x2 and a Monk.  The PC's should be level 10 going to 11 by the end of this encounter.  What I've currently done is take a MM3 version of Demise (from the module Seekers of the Ashen Crown)and leveled her up to 11 + used the Lich template in the dungeon master's guide.  This gave her more hp, +2 AC, +4 Will, +4 Fort, +2 saves and a power to regain encounter powers that recharges (Demise's Guile).  I tried to keep as much of the original Demise as possible while adding things from other Lich monsters (from the book Open Grave).  I've boosted some of her powers to be more potent as well.

Currently my plans are to have her presented during one encounter where she would provide support for her minions who would be fighting the PC's.  She would be unreachable for that encounter.  After making their way through the fortress where she resides, they would then face her.  However instead of just a simple grind fest boss fight, the main goal would be to actually stop the ritual she would be doing while fighting off waves of monsters. 

There's no rush right now, the party is still some ways away from this encounter.  I just want to get the broad strokes figured out and get some feedback.  TY !  And sorry for the wall of text ;)
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

My personal suggestions
1. The monster waves, add lots of minions. With a pair of wizards (assuming at least one of them has some burst spells like Thunderwave or Cloud of Daggers) the minions can come fast and furious while still providing a scary threat. Even better, two years story-wise isn't a long time for her to learn these necromantic/lich-y abilities. You don't even have to use at level minions, 20 level 1 zombies can be scarier than 5 level 10 zombies, especially if *they don't know this detail*

2. Add a commander of these minions, maybe a couple of them. These would be non-minions, and could be about any undead you can story-wise argue. (Side-thought with this, maybe a past rival that Demise brought back as another undead, could be a neat touch)

3. Give some sort of cue as that killing Demise is NOT the objective. Maybe a side-effect of the ritual is causing some chaos, or they overhear something while in the castle that makes them realize the ritual is more dangerous than the lich (AAAAAND that's a scary thought). WIthout such a cue, even something as basic as a giant force field around Demise, the party is likely to just try wailing on her (at least that how most my groups would've handled this kind of scenario)

Hope any/all/portions of this help!

My personal suggestions
1. The monster waves, add lots of minions. With a pair of wizards (assuming at least one of them has some burst spells like Thunderwave or Cloud of Daggers) the minions can come fast and furious while still providing a scary threat. Even better, two years story-wise isn't a long time for her to learn these necromantic/lich-y abilities. You don't even have to use at level minions, 20 level 1 zombies can be scarier than 5 level 10 zombies, especially if *they don't know this detail*

2. Add a commander of these minions, maybe a couple of them. These would be non-minions, and could be about any undead you can story-wise argue. (Side-thought with this, maybe a past rival that Demise brought back as another undead, could be a neat touch)

3. Give some sort of cue as that killing Demise is NOT the objective. Maybe a side-effect of the ritual is causing some chaos, or they overhear something while in the castle that makes them realize the ritual is more dangerous than the lich (AAAAAND that's a scary thought). WIthout such a cue, even something as basic as a giant force field around Demise, the party is likely to just try wailing on her (at least that how most my groups would've handled this kind of scenario)

Hope any/all/portions of this help!

Thank you for your input.  I like the idea of just dozens of low level minions swarming the party.  Like you pointed out, with two wizards alone they should be able to ravage them and it'll make for a hillarious time while they freak out a little hehe. 

And yes, I thought about using a kind of leader units to add into the combats, it would add a touch that I think would affect them nicely.  Maybe former NPC's they had met 2 years prior that Demise could have corrupted.

I'll have to think about a kind of sign that the ritual is the real problem.  Maybe make the two wizards do Arcana together and see if they can roll a decent amount and explain some basic premises about the ritual Demise is working.  That shutting it down would be a good idea.  And then having the swarms of minions start pouring in with key NPC's..  Yeah could work  

Any comments about Demise herself ?  It's been suggested that maybe giving her two turns per round could add some intensity.  One turn to power the ritual then one turn to nuke the party a bit ?  Once the ritual is stopped then she would turn her full attention onto the party.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

Giving her extra turns, there's a way to scare them. Next scary thought (I'm in a Tomb of Horrors mindset tonight) possibly have the leaders as lesser demon/devils. Maybe Demise's ritual is attempting to make demonic undead in everyone's favorite undead-ridden nation. These then could set up for paragon repeating villians, or even comic relief. Them demons say the darnest things! Another idea is give her some clerical powers from Vol. Liches who can use divine spells make a very nasty mix.
Have Demise get her own turn and the ritual get its own turn.  That way she's not working on it while fighting.  Another interesting thought it that you could have them get to her shortly after she's become a lich.  She's powerful, but not quite an incredibly powerful creature (hence the need for leaders for the minions).

You could also through in an interesting twist where her spirit still lingers around and can cause area status effects at random on the battlefield.  Her soul, distraught over being ripped out of her body, blindly throws magic around and hits whoever it can, including the boss.  You can divide the battlefield into 4,6,or 8 particitians (which the party won't know about) and roll a dX whenever it's the ghost's turn.  That will decide what area she aims at.  Next, roll a d10 to determine what affect hits the area (ongoing cold damage, dazed, regen, +2 attack, ect.).  Every creature in the area will have to save or fall under the affect.  That'll make it important to move around the battlefield and make things more dynamic, as players will won't to avoid negative affects and reap the positive ones.  Even if you don't do the ghost idea, the random statuses and zones is still an interesting battle mechanic.
thank you both for your inputs !  The random effects thing could be fun to use during the encounter since it could provide positive and negative stuff.  As for the clerical powers from Vol, that could also be interesting but I think I'll keep Vol as another BBEG to be dealt with at a later time.  There's already a lot going on right now and I would rather not overload the players.

I'll think about the Devil / Demon suggestion, it could be interesting but I want it to work with the rest of the content currently in play.  

Much thanks !