Nusemnee's Atonement and Dragonbreath

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
A question about interpretation.

Ancient Soul states that if you take damage from a source as the same type as your breath weapon, and they specify after you apply your resistance, you recharge your breath weapon.

Nusemnee's Atonement states that when you deal damage to an ally, you can redirect the damage to yourself with a scaling resist to that damage of 5/10/15.

Now reading Nusemnee's Atonement closely as well as reading the Dragon Soul class feature, if you have a higher resist another source, you can use that to reduce the damage taken.  The resistance piercing that is part of Dragon Soul is not applicable to the damage you take from Nusemnee's Atonement because you are NOT a target of the spell.  The pierce resistance only affects those who are targets of the spell.  You are not a target of the spell, your ally is.  You only redirect the damage but you do not change the targets of the spell.

Am I wrong about this?

This would make Improved Dragon Soul much more valuable.  At paragon you would have resist 15 to your breath weapon if you line it up and at epic it would be resist 25.
Except nearly every Rebreather has a multi-typed breath, and Dragon Soul only gives you one resist. But yes, you're correct.
Or you could take a Wyrmtouched Amulet (Read: You should take a Wyrmtouched Amulet) and get even more.  And yes, even the most basic rebreather uses more than the base keyword on DB (The easy example is when Lightning uses add thunder to their breath).
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Or you could take a Wyrmtouched Amulet (Read: You should take a Wyrmtouched Amulet) and get even more.  And yes, even the most basic rebreather uses more than the base keyword on DB (The easy example is when Lightning uses add thunder to their breath).

Does a Wyrmtouched Amulet add a new resistance if you take Adaptable Breath?

E.g., I have Thundering Breath (lightning + thunder, paragon tier).  Wearing the amulet (+4 version) grants me lightning + thunder resistance.  That gives me Resist 10 Thunder, Resist 10 Lightning.  Now say I take the Adaptable Breath feat, and select Cold.  Would I then have Resist 10 Thunder, Resist 10 Lightning, and Resist 10 Cold?

The character builder seems to think so, but the way the item is written, it's not obvious that it applies to multiple damage types, but the character builder sure thinks so.

Now consider Avatar of Io, whose 21st level ability allows him to pick any (elemental) damage type for his dragon breath as he breathes.  If he puts on the +4 Wyrmtouched amulet, does he get Resist 10 acid, cold, fire, lightning, and poison?  (feels like I'm leaving something out)

Does a Wyrmtouched Amulet add a new resistance if you take Adaptable Breath?

E.g., I have Thundering Breath (lightning + thunder, paragon tier).  Wearing the amulet (+4 version) grants me lightning + thunder resistance.  That gives me Resist 10 Thunder, Resist 10 Lightning.  Now say I take the Adaptable Breath feat, and select Cold.  Would I then have Resist 10 Thunder, Resist 10 Lightning, and Resist 10 Cold?

The character builder seems to think so, but the way the item is written, it's not obvious that it applies to multiple damage types, but the character builder sure thinks so.

Now consider Avatar of Io, whose 21st level ability allows him to pick any (elemental) damage type for his dragon breath as he breathes.  If he puts on the +4 Wyrmtouched amulet, does he get Resist 10 acid, cold, fire, lightning, and poison?  (feels like I'm leaving something out)

basically thats a giant ETV.

The other big question is whether Avatar of Io automatically qualifies you for some of the feats.  Personally I think it does (So you count as having poison for the perma-weaken (Save Ends) every breath).

The thing with the neck is that if you change the type of damage your breath weapon does you can basically cycle through the relevant types to gain a crazy amount of resistance at epic.  And you should.  But how the wording works with it is very iffy. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here