Card of the Week 1: 1/8/13 - 1/14/13

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

Card of the Week

1/8/13 - 1/14/13

Welcome to Card of the Week! This is an on-running contest of sorts where great cards are given the celebration they deserve, the praise for what perhaps went unnoticed.

Nomination Rules:

• Anyone may nominate a card from any thread in YMTC as long as it was posted between 12:00 AM of the starting date and 11:59 PM of the ending date of that week's thread, Pacific Standard Time (that's what I live by, and I'm not fancy enough to use UT1). 

• All nominations require the following:

1. The full card posted into this thread.
    2. A link to the post/thread where the card originated.
    3. The name of the card's creator.

• You may nominate up to two cards a week.

• You can't nominate your own designs.

• All designs nominated will be put into a poll in the next week's thread. The design with the most votes is declared Card of the Week!

Voting Rules:

• You may vote for any number of entries. Remember, every vote you cast matters, so try to vote only for the cards you really think deserve to win.

• You may vote for yourself.

• All cards carrying the most votes when the poll closes are elected as the winner for that week.

• All winners and winning cards will be collected in the sblock below.

Nominations for 1/1/13 - 1/7/13
Revenge of the Meek
Sorcery
Target creature without the greatest power fights the creature with the greatest power. (If two creatures are tied for greatest power, choose one of them.)
Overload
No one likes the champion who's too good, no matter what side you're on.

by pietro_aronia
-----
Body Sinker
Creature - Merfolk Assassin
Islandwalk
If a creature an opponent creature would die, you may have it becomes an island instead. (It's no longer a creature.)
4/1

by theatog
----- 
Primordial Experiment
Creature – Elemental Mutant
Evolve
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Primordial Experiment: Primordial Experiment gains your choice of protection from white, from black, or from red until end of turn.
3/2

by ParadOxymoron
-----
Tidal Strip
Land
You may play Tidal Strip from your graveyard.
, Sacrifice Tidal Strip: Add to your mana pool.
"The night prior, I buried my secrets on the farthest shores. Today, I regret never learning to swim."
- Cobaliant proverb

by Rush_Clasic
-----
Traitor's Brand

Sorcery
Untap target creature and gain control of it. It gains haste until the end of turn. At the end of turn, its owner gains control of it unless it dealt combat damage to him or her this turn.
Mikal knew the price of betraying his order was certain death. But in that one liberating moment, he simply didn’t care..

by Libe
-----
Rehabilitation

Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Opponent
When you cast Rehabilitation, any player may sacrifice any number of permanents.
Enchanted opponent cannot be dealt damage, lose life, and he or she has hexproof.
When enchanted opponent's life total changes, he or she loses the game.

"One day at a time."

by magicpablo666 
----- 
Sacred Fire |
Sorcery {M}
Lifelink
Sacred Fire deals X damage to target creature or player.
If Sacred Fire targets a creature you control, it deals damage in the form of +1/+1 counters.
Only the worthy step through unscathed.

by Imidazoline
-----
The Emberwhirl

Legendary Creature - Elemental
Trample
Whenever The Emberwhirl deals combat damage to a player or planeswalker, untap it. After this phase, there is an additional combat phase.
The Emberwhirl can't attack a player or planeswalker it already attacked this turn.
Every man burns; not every man heals.
6/6

by Rush_Clasic

Poll and new round nominations close 11:59, 1/8/13. 
where are these designs listed?
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Just updated the post. Forgot to do all the actual work.
rush you are too awesome i don't even want to vote for myself lol

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Nomination 1:

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; margin:8px">
Choke Point 
Creature - Wall
Defender
Choke Point can block any number of creatures.
Choke Point can't block fewer than two creatures.
"There is only room for one man between a rock and a hard place."
0/6

Just running through some of my stuff from this year's Idol competition. I think the flavour text could benefit from being a little more subtle, and I'm sure there's an elegant way to combine both halves of the ability into a single sentence. I like the concept quite a bit, though.

Yes, I know it's originally from Idol, no, I don't care.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Nominating detektor just feels like cheating.

Leyline Roller
Creature - Elemental
At the beginning of each player’s upkeep, that player may put a +1/+1 counter on target creature of his or her choice.
Trample
Whenever a player puts a +1/+1 counter on Leyline Roller, that player draws a card.
1/1

Based on the Mercadian Masques enchantment Ley Line.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I will crank out cards till I get on here.
no catz either
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Polarize |
Enchantment
Creatures you control are white and get +1/+1.
Creatures opponents control are black and red.
Born on the same street. Buried in plot miles apart.

To be fair, this was posted last week, but I hadn't graded it at that time.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Nomination 2:

Lagomorphic Field

Enchantment
Whenever a card enters your hand, put a 2/2 green and blue Ooze Rabbit creature token onto the battlefield.
Whenever a card leaves your hand, sacrifice an Ooze Rabbit creature. 
It's a hare-brained scheme.

that card made me cry a little inside (the good moving kinda cry) when i first saw it

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
second nomination

I pick the closest square to raz. If there are multiple squares with the same distance, pick one randomly.

Show

Serra's Lament
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures, then planeswalk. Instead of returning the current plane to a planar deck, remove it from the game.
Only in memory is her world forever pure.

Referencing the Phyrexian attack on Serra's Sanctum. I like the idea of leaving a plane behind forever and ever. If you're not playing planechase though, this is just a glorified Day of Judgment with lore related flavor, but whatever.

This probably wont get much vote? But the flavor strikes my heart 

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I nominate bay_falconer's Creeping Barrage

Creeping Barrage
Enchantment
Infect
When a creature you control attacks, Creeping Barrage deals 1 damage to target creature the defending player controls, or to the defending player.

I like the way it gives infect a whole new way to play and the flavour is also solid. I think it's worth consideration at least.

As for this week's best card (paradoxically next week's winner)... I'm thinking Lagomorphic Field for Jhonnytastic out of the box fun, Leyline Roller for mechanical brilliance or Choke Point for marriage of flavour and mechanics.
Leyline Roller needs anew name though for realz.
Nomination 1:

Azorius Academic 
Creature - Human Advisor
: Draw a card.  Activate this ability only after the combat phase during an opponent's turn and only if no creatures attacked this turn.
"Hush!  Stop with all the fighting.  It's hard to focus on studying these law books with all of this quarreling going on."
2/2

Nomination 2:

Metaglobe 
Artifact
Metaglobe has all abilities of each land.
The Creator tossed aside her favourite plaything, and autumn came.
She embraced the little blue ball once more , and spring descended.
-Mtenda legend

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

Last day for nominations and votes.

Remind me to put something here, too. I was gonna put Imi's Champs artifact in here last week and forgot.

EDIT: I guess I'll just put stuff here now!

Human Umbra
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Totem armor

From the alpha-umbra thread

Sinner's Redemption --
Enchantment
Whenever a creature deals combat damage to you, you gain control of it unless its controller pays .
Welcome to the fold, my child.

From the ABC thread
I nominate your possum rush, but I can't quote from here.
Sign In to post comments