Thoughts in Chaos: Ruhan of the Fomori

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greetings! It's time again to build another Commander deck. Actually in all likelihood I'll be building several today! This is what happens when you get the Flu and have an abundance of time. So what have I got in store this time?

Ruhan of the Fomori

I originally had planned to make this guy strictly a 1v1 general, but decided he may be just as fun in multiplayer. The fact that he randomly attacks opponents gives people potentially plenty of time to deal with his shenanigans. But he's got some tricks up his sleeve.

So the first thing I notice about this guy is that he's huge. 7/7 for 4 mana. But not just that, take a look at his artwork. His club is easily bigger than the humans in the foreground. So I decided this guy is possibly big enough to create some waves. So I've decided to have several themes in this deck.

1st theme: Land Destruction. I know most folks hate being on the receiving end of some land destruction, however, look at this guy...you seriously don't think he doesn't cause some on his own?

2nd theme: Voltron. I'm going to have a few equipment and a few auras. Because at 7/7 he's already a third of the way there. So 3 unblocked attacks and he's there.

Commander-1
Ruhan of the Fomori

Creatures-9
Mother of Runes
Stoneforge Mystic
Kor Spiritdancer
Mesa Enchantress
Steelshaper Apprentice
Sublime Archangel
Academy Rector
Stonehewer Giant
Godo, Bandit Warlord

Artifacts-6
Sensei's Divining Top
Sol Ring
Azorius Signet
Izzet Signet
Boros Signet
Darksteel Ingot

Equipment-7
Umezawa's Jitte
Trailblazer's Boots
Swiftfoot Boots
Champion's Helm
Darksteel Plate
Sword of War and Peace
Whispersilk Cloak

Enchantments-7
Limited Resources
Impending Disaster
Aggravated Assault
Angelic Benediction
Bedlam
Parallax Wave
Parallel Thoughts

Auras-9
Ethereal Armor
Curiosity
Blessing of the Nephilim
Spirit Mantle
Daybreak Coronet
Griffin Guide
Unquestioned Authority
Pemmin's Aura
Angelic Destiny

Instant/Sorcery-21
Enlightened Tutor
Steelshaper's Gift
Gamble
Path to Exile
Ancestral Visions
Idyllic Tutor
Chaos Warp
Oblation
Trade Secrets
Concentrate
Armageddon
Ravages of War
Bend or Break
Relentless Assault
World at War
Waves of Aggression
Temporal Manipulation
Time Warp
Burning of Xinye
Wildfire
Temporal Mastery

Land-38
Tundra
Volcanic Island
Plateau
Hallowed Fountain
Steam Vents
Sacred Foundry
Flooded Strand
Polluted Delta
Misty Rainforest
Scalding Tarn
Arid Mesa
Windswept Heath
Marsh Flats
Wooded Foothills
Bloodstained Mire
Cathedral of War
7 Plains
7 Island
8 Mountain
Could I get some comments or suggestions?
Get more mana rocks. You're nuking lands on a mass scale, so try to make yourself as functional as possible without them. As a bonus, you'll up the consistency of a turn 3 ruhan (assuming the ramp costs 2 or less). I'd add mana crypt, mox diamond, mox opal, coldsteel heart, everflowing chalice, sky diamond, etc. There are a slew of other 2-mana rocks out there too.

As you noted, 3 unblocked attacks and ruhan kills...he doesn't need a lot of padding to be scary. And I think your approach to voltron-ing him lacks focus. For example, you don't have very many creatures, but you run sublime archangel. Ruhan needs +4/+4 in buffd to up his kill speed by an actual turn, and needs to actually connect in the first place. Archangel doesn't grant any evasion, and is almost never going to give enough of a stat boost to affect his clock speed. So it's basically a do-nothing card. I also don't like a lot of your auras and equipment choices. What you really want to be doing is making sure he can get through unblocked, and disrupting your opponents' ability to stop him (by attacking their mana, it seems). In my opinion you have way too many cards that grant shroud/hexproof, which don't protect against the most commonly played removal in the format (sweepers), and shockingly are lacking the only shroud card that I really like (lightning greaves). And I'm not a fan of auras in general, especially when you're playing a sword whose protections will negate many of them. I'd like to see you tighten up the voltron section to be a smaller set of cards, and ensure that they help ruhan to connect (so, offer some evasion), and offer some value beyond just making a buff guy buffer. I like unquestioned authority for example, but don't like daybreak coronet. And I like swords of x and y, but don't like champion's helm. Protection from 2 colors means some creature's can't block him, at least.

Also, your mass ld package is missing cataclysm, catastrophe, and bust, all of which I think are better than bend or break and impending disaster.

Also, weird as it sounds, I think you should get some planeswalkers. Jace (any version), ajani 3.0, elspeth, etc can all do a lot of work in the rebuilding turns while opponents have little to no land to work with.
Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely be using it a little later when I'm not on my mobile.
I made a Ruhan deck and had a blast with it. It is hard to control in multiplayer since he's a random attacker, so you may want to build up other attackers and blockers while keeping him in action. A few good cards I would make room for in this deck:

Card Drawing
Righteous Authority
Staff of Nin
Isperia, Supreme Judge

Tools
Rage Reflection
True Conviction
Savage Beating
Azorius Charm
Dawn Charm

Extra dudes for attacking/blocking/making Sublime Archangel much better
Nomads' Assembly
Rise of the Hobgoblins
Knight-Captain of Eos
Captain of the Watch

A few additional bombs
Oathsworn Giant
Hellrider (great with aforementioned token-makers and a dose of lifelink)
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Bruna, Light of Alabaster (good for recouping lost enchantments and dealing extra damage just to do so)

As for what I'd take out: land destruction. I don't know if your meta is okay with it, but I don't personally know anyone that finds it the least bit fun. I'd also ditch the extra turn stuff, maybe keeping one for that last attack (or two, depending on your hand....) to close out the game; really you don't need the extra turns to draw attention to yourself unless you can guarantee Ruhan to get through on the attack. Extra turns are always good, but not necessary, and they can draw hate if you don't win during them. Also, if you do keep the LD theme, one good addition might be Numot, The Devastator.

Anyway, maybe you can find uses for some of these, maybe not, but Ruhan is easy to use however you go. As a general, he can be really fun to both play and play against, which is always good for a gaming group. Have fun with it either way!
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
Protective Bubble for more unblockable and shroud or can go Tricks of the Trade for pump and unblockable

Chromatic Lantern great for 3 colors great mana rock

Limited Resources is on the banned list.
So it is.
I used to run a Ruhan deck: I called it my "X-Factor" deck as it was unpredictable.  I played with cards like Sleep and Downpour to make sure Ruhan could get through and even threw in Brion Stoutarm and Fling to throw Ruhan in a bad situation. 

My suggestion would be not to try and make a competitive Ruhan deck, but just have fun with it.  Be unpredictable.