Continuous Effects

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I understand that Burst of Speed only affects creatures on the battlefield at the time it resolves, whereas Chaos affects creatures put onto the battlefield after it resolves. Is there any current template that would allow a one-shot effect such as Burst of Speed to affect creatures put onto the battlefield after it resolves?

(Also how do you autocard a split card?)
Rules Advisor
I understand that Burst of Speed only affects creatures on the battlefield at the time it resolves, whereas Chaos affects creatures put onto the battlefield after it resolves. Is there any current template that would allow a one-shot effect such as Burst of Speed to affect creatures put onto the battlefield after it resolves?

(Also how do you autocard a split card?)  

Order // Chaos
Is there any current template that would allow a one-shot effect such as Burst of Speed to affect creatures put onto the battlefield after it resolves?

We can do it like Thousand-Year Elixir:

• this turn, you may activate abilities of creatures you control and attack with creatures you control as though they had haste.

Or like how Johan gives a text-equivalent effect of vigilance, but not the ability itself :

• this turn, you can activate abilities of creatures you control and attack with creatures you control the turn they come under your control.

However, haste is a rule-goverened ability (it works by having the rules mention it) so it may not be desireable to have a "haste" effect that actually contradicts the rules (though the golden rules would cover it).
There isn't any simple template, but there are some tricks that could potentially be used.

One would be to change it to a rules-changing effect. You could, for example, have "Until end of turn, creatures you control can attack as though they had haste." or "Until end of turn, you may activate abilities of creatures you control as though they had haste." It wouldn't really be acceptable to combine these, though; if you treat an object as though it had haste for every purpose, it should just have haste.

The other possibility would be to make it a static ability. That is, you'd need something the player controls to have "Creatures you control have haste", either by granting that ability directly or by creating a new permanent with that ability. You could just make it an enchantment that's sacrificed in the end step, for example.
Until end of turn, you gain "Creatures you control have haste."
Until end of turn, you gain "Creatures you control have haste."

I'd like that. But from what I understand, there may be some philosophical problem with players gaining most kinds of abilities, because "players are not objects". Shroud, Hexproof and Protection are an exception since they can be translated to restricive rules applying on the player (can't be targeted, can't be attacked, can't be damaged) so they don't "feel" like abilities on the player.

At one time, Channel was phrased to actually give you an activated ability, instead of the "special action that works just like an activated ability" it is now. The printed wording is a mess, but it could feasibly revert to the activated ability template.
From when to when did Channel grant an activated ability?

Based on a scan of the month-by-month diffs at Crystal Keep, Channel definitely had errata that granted an activated ability as of September 1999, and had shifted away from that in August 2001. I can't glean any information from the site that tells what its initial wording under Sixth Edition rules (prior to September) was, but the last wording I saw for it before that point included the phrase "any time you could play a mana source," which clearly could not survive into the rule change. At the time, Channel was banned in Vintage (only to be moved back down to the restricted list in 2000), so they might not have been paying a whole lot of attention to it back then, just as with ante cards now.
From when to when did Channel grant an activated ability?

Perhaps from 1999-11-17 to 2000-01-19.

My post from the Players having abilities not supported by CR thread.
By the way, Channel can be re-written to grant a mana ability.  Which would be awesome.

Erratum was previously issued to Channel during Sixth Edition did grant the player an ability.

You gain "Pay 1 life: Add one colorless mana to your mana pool" until end of turn.
Show

2009-01-19 to 2009-02-10
Card Rulings Summary                                        Updated 2009/02/10
This release is under the rules used by TENTH EDITION.
A '+' is used to mark changes since the 2009/01/19 release.
Channel:
+ Text(4th+errata): Until end of turn, any time you could play a mana ability,
    you may pay 1 life.  If you do, add {1} to your mana pool.
    [Oracle 2009/02/01]

2001-08-21 to 2001-09-20
Card Rulings Summary (CHANGES ONLY)                         Updated 2001/09/20
This release is under the rules used by SIXTH EDITION and SEVENTH EDITION.
Both of these editions use the same rules.
A '+' is used to mark changes since the 2001/08/21 release.
Channel:
+ Text(4th+errata): Until end of turn, any tmie[sic] you could play a mana ability
    you may pay 1 life.  If you do, add one colorless mana to your mana pool.
    [Oracle 2001/08/24]

1999-12-14 to 2000-01-19
Card Rulings Summary (CHANGES ONLY)                           Updated 00/01/19
This release is under the SIXTH EDITION rules.
A '+' is used to mark changes since the 99/12/14 release.
Channel:
+ Text(4th+errata): You gain "Pay 1 life: Add one colorless mana to your mana
    pool" until end of turn. [Oracle 99/09/01]
+ The ability is a mana ability. [Barclay 99/12/01]
+ Note - Also see Loss of Life, Rule G.21.

1999-11-17 to 1999-12-14
Card Rulings Summary (CHANGES ONLY)                           Updated 99/l2/14[sic]
This release is under the SIXTH EDITION rules.
A '+' is used to mark changes since the 99/11/17 release.
Channel:
+ Text(4th+errata): You gain "Pay 1 life: Add one colorless mana to your mana
    pool" until end of turn. [Oracle 99/09/01]
+ The ability is a mana ability. [Barclay 99/12/01]
+ Note - Also see Loss of Life, Rule G.21.

1998-12-16 to 1999-01-20
Card Rulings Summary (CHANGES ONLY)                           Updated 01/20/99
Complete text is included for cards from Limited, Unlimited, Revised, Fourth,
and Fifth Edition, plus Tempest, Stronghold, Exodus, and Urza's Saga.
A '+' is used to mark changes since the last released version on 12/16/98.
Channel:
+ Text(4th+errata): Until end of turn, whenever you can play a mana source,
    you may spend any amount of life to add that amount of colorless mana to
    your mana pool. [Oracle 07/01/98]

I would like to know what would be wrong with, "Until end of turn, creatures you control have haste," other than confusion with "Creatures you control gain haste until end of turn."

You could also give yourself the power to create a game event (from the Department of Redundency Department), "Until end of turn, you may have creatures you control gain haste until end of turn."

But as a last resort, you could emblemize it: "You get an emblem with 'Creatures you control have haste' and 'This emblem loses all abilities at end of turn.'"

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
I would like to know what would be wrong with, "Until end of turn, creatures you control have haste," other than confusion with "Creatures you control gain haste until end of turn."

Those two abilities are perfectly good to print, and completely equivalent to each other. Unfortunately, they aren't satisfactory for the goals discussed here because by granting an ability, that effect ends up modifying characteristics. By the continuous effect rules, any continuous effect that has a duration and modifies characteristics has to "lock in" the things it applies to at the moment it's first created. So if you want to take advantage of Godsire's haste by tapping it for a token, the resulting token would not have haste in the presence of an effect worded that way, and that's what this excursion for different templates is trying to avoid.

Emblems are for planeswalkers only, and temporary emblems are just dumb. Granting an ability to the player is clear, functional, and it doesn't leave garbage lying around with no effect afterwards. The question is whether the templating and rules teams are willing to dole out abilities to players more liberally.

Those two abilities are perfectly good to print, and completely equivalent to each other.

I'm not really fond of that, because they are definitely saying different things in English, to a player that hasn't learned the ins and outs of the game.

I would prefer there be a simple, more elegant way to differentiate between continuous effects that are modifying characteristics and continuous effects that are modifying rules.

Personally, I prefer "have/doesn't have" and "is/isn't" to be different from "gains/loses."  But I doubt that's going to go over well...

How about, "Until end of turn, as a rule, creatures you control have haste?"  That's a bit too "fourth wall breaking" for me though.  No other ideas.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Maybe we can use "under your control" in a way that would be distinctive and show that it doesn't lock on:
"this turn, under your control, creatures have haste"

(Of course the rules would have to exlain it)

Personally, I prefer "have/doesn't have" and "is/isn't" to be different from "gains/loses."

I'd like to have some sort of distinction like that. It would be like how we can identify tirggered abilities and replacement effects, and it might not be too troublesome. The only problem might be with P/T changing effects as it might be weird to use have/is/are for them ("creatures you control are +1/+1")

Are there any cards that would become to strong, too weak or otherwise ruined from such a distinction?
Would such a distinction be easy to miss or not easily unserstood? 

Suggestion: "target permanent gains "creatures you control have haste" until end of turn.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]