Tired of 3/4pffa Bullies? Join Us....(PS3 only)....."Thursday Night Throwdown"

334 posts / 0 new
Last post
The goal of this thread is to offer players a chance to play 3-4pffa with out the threat of boosters and partnering in the 3/4pffa format. This format can be so much fun when played properly but to often do we find ourselves looking across the digital table at two opponents working together for leaderboard gains. So I would like to invite players to join myself and others Thursday nights 10pm EST for a no boosting form of ffa. If your interested in meeting new players and reviving what should be the most fun form of duels then join us. Just post here on this thread, let us know who you are, and then jump on the ps3 thursday around 10. Only rule is: NO PARTNERING/BOOSTING/CHEATING. You will be surrounded by friends but you play on your own.

Special thanks to xXmulteyemeteorXx for sparking this idea and I wish him luck with his group on steam!
When dj_btrue enters the forum exile all bad attitudes.
I'd be down for this once every couple of weeks or so.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

That's 8pm my time, gives me two days to unlock Mana Mastery.... Sounds good, I'm in!

PSN name is WolfwoodSama
You know I'm in. After playing sixty last night in 1v1 I'm interested to see what he can pull in a longer format.
Luckily your both on my friends list already so that makes it all the easier to hook up.
I'm up for starting this Thursday if we get enough responses.
Now off to home to spend some quality time with the kids until I disappear into the mancave at 6 for beer, smokes, and DLC.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Nice! We've got our first 4. The sky is the limit now.
sixty would you be able to play this thursday?
It's 7pm my time.  So probably.  It gets cold in the garage later in the evening.  Hopefully I'll have my car fixed by then.  I'm taking the easy way out anyways and paying for deck unlocks.

4p MM FFA   LULZ will ensue

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

That's 8pm my time, gives me two days to unlock Mana Mastery.... Sounds good, I'm in!

PSN name is WolfwoodSama

Maybe we'll make one of the games everyone plays MM! That would be insane Laughing
I'll send you a friend request my name is the same as it appears here.
It's 7pm my time.  So probably.  It gets cold in the garage later in the evening.  Hopefully I'll have my car fixed by then.  I'm taking the easy way out anyways and paying for deck unlocks.

4p MM FFA   LULZ will ensue

I'm too cheap to pay for unlocks so i'll be playing the watered down version of MM but that doesn't mean I wont give it a shot!
Sixty I'll send you a FR. 
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" class="mceContentBody " contenteditable="true" />I'm too cheap to pay for unlocks so i'll be playing the watered down version of MM but that doesn't mean I wont give it a shot! 

I don't normally, but I just swapped platforms, so I've been doing so many unlocks recently, that I really CBF to do it any more.

You're a lose cannon.

Anyone else think dimir will be the worst deck in this format?

Everyone hates to discard so the all out attack will ensue!

Man.. wish I could join you guys, but hopefully, we'll get the Steam group going as well. Have fun!
I'll totally rock Dimir, that's just the kind of jerk I am.

As for buying the deck key, sorry. I'd be doing the same thing but on PSN the keys don't come out for another couple weeks after their respective decks do Yell

YOUR OUT OF THE CLUB!
just kidding LOL

Anyone else think dimir will be the worst deck in this format?

Everyone hates to discard so the all out attack will ensue!

Nah, I'm sure when I play Crosswinds I'll be the target.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

As for buying the deck key, sorry. I'd be doing the same thing but on PSN the keys don't come out for another couple weeks after their respective decks do

I take that back... from the PSN Update Blog...

Available In-Game Only (Not on PlayStation Store)

Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers

• Mana Mystery Deck Key — ($0.99)

• Mana Mystery Foil Conversion — ($0.99)

• Rogues’ Gallery Deck Key — ($0.99)

• Rogues’ Gallery Foil Conversion — ($0.99)

Happy to be wrong XD

As for buying the deck key, sorry. I'd be doing the same thing but on PSN the keys don't come out for another couple weeks after their respective decks do

I take that back... from the PSN Update Blog...

Available In-Game Only (Not on PlayStation Store)

Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers

• Mana Mystery Deck Key — ($0.99)

• Mana Mystery Foil Conversion — ($0.99)

• Rogues’ Gallery Deck Key — ($0.99)

• Rogues’ Gallery Foil Conversion — ($0.99)

Happy to be wrong XD

Splattercat and I hit up Sean quite a few times about psn getting unlocks right away.
It worked!

Show

I'm always game for those things. I really want the PS3 DotP community to grow strong. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play, because 10 pm EST is the midnight of a week day for me. I think those things are better on weekends, but that's just me. So, good luck to you guys and have fun

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I'm always up for a weekend round. Better for a longer game also.

Maybe we can have a "weekend crew" round also.

Edit: Also

Show

Btw, an all MM game will be pure insanity in a good way.
Make sure you have your favorite beverage in mass quantity on hand. I played a 4ffa last night with only 2 MM's and we spent at least 45 minutes drawing out land and board wiping before it got serious.

I've almost forgot the Dimir deck came out as MM is such a blast to play.
Got my baby Godsire back from CoV!

Show

I'm down with all MM.

Also, just so I'm not the odd-man-out (says the guy with a cat on his head) should I be busting out the headset for this?
I'm down with all MM.

Also, just so I'm not the odd-man-out (says the guy with a cat on his head) should I be busting out the headset for this?

I would assume that one is not required.  You can certainly play magic and have fun without one normally.  However; I know that Wuster and I both have headsets, and unless you want to listen to the two of us babble on about nothing the entire time, you should dust yours off and join the conversation.

It's starting to look like we might have enough to fill two 4pFFA games.

You're a lose cannon.

If you have a mic I would break it out. Not required but I'm sure having one will greatly enhance the fun factor. Also if we start letting last winners make rules or something crazy you might not want to have to type everything.

Can someone plz tell me how to rid myself of the dice roll WTF
It's thursday so I just wanted to bump this topic back up top 
Shall we start off with all MM tonight and see who the real Master is?
Wink

I've got a couple of hours of game play in me tonight. I might be able to stretch myself out to midnight, central.
Took the day off as rain has brought my job close to stand still, but I have a big day out there tomorrow.
Those rich kids need their school expanded asap, don't they?

Heck I don't know what I'm bitchin about. Always sweet to have a job running all winter. 3/4 of our techs are layed off right now and I have a big, prestigious job to go to every day.

Show

Just so we're sure who's going to show up tonight please post some time during the day with todays date "1/10/13" so we know you're looking for us tonight.

I just don't want to get games started and then have someone show up who wanted to play.  I also don't want to be waiting on people who posted earlier but then don't show up.

I plan on being there.  Might have to give me a few minutes to tweak the deck before I'm ready though.

Shall we start off with all MM tonight and see who the real Master is?

Might as well, unless people that show up just don't really want to do this.

You're a lose cannon.

Btw,

1/10/13

Show

I'll definately be there 1/10/13 10pm est.
Ill make the lobby on private then invite devil and anyone else who wants to play. If we end up over 4 players someone will have to create another lobby.
If things end up screwy like we have 5 guys who want to play maybe we can do 3 guys in one ffa the other 2 can play 1v1 or 2hg until the ffa is done then we rotate? I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Sixty send me a friend request my gamer tag is dj_btrue
I hope westane shows up too, last I checked I dont think he accepted my friend request
1/10/13

All MM sounds good to me as well.
I might be a little late. The kids are watching Attack of the Clones right now. Anikin and Padame just got to the Droid factory.

You're a lose cannon.

Wow!
First official "Thursday Night Throwdown" is in the books.
Thanks so much to the guys for coming out.
The level of play was very high from everyone, no stress, no worries about boosters or even the NEED to win.
Just a hellova lot of fun.
I'll see everyone again next thursday!

@sixty: Da#n it if only I had held that last cancel F@ck!!!!!    LOL
Much fun. I''m also sure I would have won the two games in which I didn't disconnect.

Show

Much fun. I''m also sure I would have won the two games in which I didn't disconnect.

I would agree that if you had played the whole GM that I wouldn't have won (not sure who would have)..... I kinda just snuck up and won that one late. But the MM? NO WAY I owned that one.  

I am the "Mana Master"   wuuuaaahhhhhaaaaa  Laughing
Very fun night. Before the matches started I spent some time figuring out how to build a good multiplayer MM deck before finally deciding to say.... screw it, 100 DECK TIME! Had to for the lulz, couldn't be helped.

Also, not having a mic was a bum hare, turns out mine's busted. Will definitely be picking up a new one before next Thursday... though flashing my game ready signal on and and off to signify acknowledgment was pretty awesome in a whole South Park sort of way...
Looking forward to it.
And hopefully for no dropped games this time.

Show

I would love to play some FFA where people dont bully or gang up, I understand attacking the biggest threat but just building up mana is not that bad

My PSN is squalltheonly
Cool, I will add you.
Hope Westane gets a mic for this week.
My wife already promised no Netflix when were playing this week as bandwidth is at a premium around here.
Shame really. I live about 5 miles north of the metro St. Louis area but it's between the Rivers in gorgeous farmland and as there are only 30 or so houses on my road no company will run high speed lines.
Had Hughesnet for a while. Don't get me started on how **** that was. And now we rely on wireless that comes from one main tower 35 miles away and repeated through a network of transmitters on the top of grain bin elevators.

Show

It's awesome to see that you guys actually got it done! I hope our Steam event tonight will be as succesful!
Tick
Tock.

Show

1/17/13

Squall, I'll send you a friend request this evening.

Show

I'm gonna be late tonight boys. I'll still be just as drunk though! Laughing