A Card That Tickled My Fancy: Metanoia

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Metanoia-
Instant
Untap target attacking creature and gain control of it until end of turn.
"No sword nor spirit shall tear down these walls."~Inscription at the gate of the Arvendell Monastery

Metanoia is a word. LOOK IT UP.

also I really like this one. super-simplistic, but one word (well, really, two, if you count instant) changes threaten to a completely different card. well actually more words if you count the removal of haste-gaining, but really, that could be here and it wouldn't change much. GOD GET OFF MY BACK.

< Stinging Chalice

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Is it wrong of me to want this to be hybrid?

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

yes.

very wrong.

you should feel bad about it.

seriously though I don't see this as being plausibly mono-red, and it uses mechanics that aren't really mono-white. sure I can flavor-magic it into being mono-white if I try, but I feel like traditional multicolor is a better fit for something that uses one color's mechanics to live out another color's philosophy.

This could absolutely be a monored card. Red has gotten instant speed creature stealing before. It could maybe be monowhite as well, as it's somewhat similar to an effect like Divine Deflection.
Rules Advisor

yes.

very wrong.

you should feel bad about it.

Could be R/W/U tribrid with some tweaks. ;)
So weak
So weak

How helpful.
This could absolutely be a monored card. Red has gotten instant speed creature stealing before. It could maybe be monowhite as well, as it's somewhat similar to an effect like Divine Deflection.

So you say it is red mechanically, and white philosphically, so there for it should be hybrid? THat feels like a much better fit for multicolored to me.

@Esterdi (because I'm too lazy to multi-quote): Potential 2-1 for 3 mana? That doesn't feel particularly weak to me.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
So weak

How helpful.

Let me put this in perspective. This card is AT BEST a conditional 2 for 1 that you cannot use during your turn. That does not warrant 3 cmc.

I wouldn't play it at .
So weak

much

your

POSTING
So weak

How helpful.

Let me put this in perspective. This card is AT BEST a conditional 2 for 1 that you cannot use during your turn. That does not warrant 3 cmc.

I wouldn't play it at .

What CMC do you nromally find your 2-for-1s at?
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
So weak

How helpful.

I wouldn't play it at .

One

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
seriously though I don't see this as being plausibly mono-red, and it uses mechanics that aren't really mono-white. sure I can flavor-magic it into being mono-white if I try, but I feel like traditional multicolor is a better fit for something that uses one color's mechanics to live out another color's philosophy.

It's sort of flavorfully against red, but they have enough instant threatens to where it's okay.
And I'm going to sound a bit hypocritical here, given how much I loathe White's grasp on the pie, but I actually think White makes sense in the context of gaining control of creatures. It seems to me to be a sensible take on the community/pacifism/reasons.

Yxoque wrote:

So weak

How helpful.

I wouldn't play it at .

A pure 2-for-1 is worth 5 cmc. But a conditional one, especially one as variable as this one, isn't.
A pure 2 for 1 is actually worth 3 mana, for what it's worth.

Yxoque wrote:

huh....

One would imagine a pure 2-for-1 is worth 3. By pure i mean no other conditions and "resource invested"

There are also Two for one in better fashions

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Semantics aside, do you guys actually think this card is worth 3 cmc?
yea mown beat me to it. But it's weird you would pay 5 for two for one and not even 2 for this. What kind of  currency of mana are you using lol

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Yes

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
This will always stop at least one attack, if they attack with two creatures, you will almost always get at least one, if not two. That's pretty damn versitile for 3 mana.
I would like this a lot as a monowhite card

(without bothering to look up the word)
This would be a very high pick in limited, and in constructed it would depend on the meta-game (I think this fills a nice hole in dealing with a lot of GR aggro strategies), which makes it solidly costed in my book. This kind of card doesn't want to be a staple, but I think it would see a good amount of play. 

Remember that you also get to consider 1-1s, gangblocking, sac-outlets. As a conditional 2-for-1 goes, it is fairly versatile. 
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:

Yes

Dispense Justice? Seriously? That card has an obvious upside to this one, and I'm not talking about it being less color intensive: it can kill your opponent's single attacking monster. And don't act like single attacks are rare or anything. This can't kill unless at least two things are going in the red zone.

@Dr_Demento: sac-outlets are not something decks are popular for. And "doing lots of eeh stuff when not used to full effect" isn't my definition of versatile.

As for "at least stopping one attack", keep in mind that Fog is .

This card is constructed playable and strong without being broken as , and anything more would make it fringe.
super-simplistic

This is the only complaint I have about this card. "Simplistic" means "seeing things as simpler than they are". "Simple" is the word you're looking for. Simplistic is a bad thing (even though it does rhyme with "kickin' ballistics"; the same applies to "idealistic" and "imperialistic"). Simple is a good thing.

/nitpick
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
lol so you can only pick whatever argument that you can barely bend over your logic to argue but ignore the rest.

wp
edit: (not directed to you bay)

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I'd consider putting this in mono-blue, or white-blue. The nature of the card is strictly defensive. Yes, red can do that with some of its creature steal effects, but a directly defensive ploy just doesn't fit well at all. Whereas blue gets stealing and defensive tricks. Just because blue hasn't had much in the way of temporary theft lately doesn't really demand that it can't temporarily steal things.
I actually like this as hybrid. It's a lot more white than Augury Adept, that's for sure.

Burning Oil gives precedent for putting the "attacking" restriction on a card that can be cast with either red or white mana.
blah blah metal lyrics
White has long had the ability to deal direct damage to attacking creatures; Burning Oil is hardly the precedential card here. So, I don't think that justifies white Threaten.

That said, I'd be fine with it, but we have different lines for hybrid. I like white having a few cards like Evangelize, though black has that third place now. In my own workspace, I've had a similar red/white hybrid card that read, "Untap target creature and gain control of it until end of turn."
it's a double kill for one card if he opponent attacks with mote than 1 creature
I really like this, but I do think it should be, "Until the end of your next turn," for the more difficult manabase required than Threaten.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Whoa. I was actually listening to Metanoia when I saw this thread.  Eerie.

I'm in the multicolor camp but am having difficulty articulating reasons why.  It's like razor said in the first post -- it's Threaten, plus a word and color that radically change how the card feels.  That's awesome.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Whoa. I was actually listening to Metanoia when I saw this thread.  Eerie.

man I had to thesaurus that word, and you just go ahead and listen to songs called it?

I also came to this thread expecting a Porcupine Tree related card.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
porcupine tree is for chumps
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.