Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I activate Sorin, Lord of Innistrad's ultimate ability targeting a creature enchanted with totem armor, does the Aura return to the battlefield under my control?
Rules Advisor
yes (assuming you have a legal choice for it to enchant)
proud member of the 2011 community team
Thanks.
Rules Advisor
I wouldn't mind jumping in here for another clarification since I know it will come up in one of my games eventually.  The aura comes back because the ability states 'each card' correct?  However, the creature it was equipped to will still be alive because the armor was destroyed and not the creature.  Do I have that right?
yes (except that you used "equipped" instead of "enchanted" ;))

if it said "return each creature card put into the graveyard this way" the Aura would not return
proud member of the 2011 community team

if it said "return each creature card put into the graveyard this way" the Aura would not return

And it would not return manlands (except Dryad Arbor).

And it would not return manlands (except Dryad Arbor).

Nor planeswalkers. 

Level 1 Judge

Destroy up to three target creatures and/or other planeswalkers. Return each card put into a graveyard this way to the battlefield under your control.

If one of the target creatures is protected by totem armor, would Sorin’s ability return the totem aura to the field under Sorin’s controller’s control? 

The totem armor replacement effect presumably changes Sorin’s ability instruction to not destroy the target creature, but destroy the aura instead.

Would this meet the requirements of “return each card put into the graveyard this way”?

or is there an implied meaning that “this way” also means that the ability must have targeted the object represented by the card when it was on the field?

It will return. It's a card that has been put into the graveyard as a direct result of following instructions on Sorin's -6 ability.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L3, Paris, France 
MTGRules-L Netrep

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments