(0^0) : +1/+1 ...?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
liliana's shade

might seem like im asking the same question over and over but im not. ...

i hope im not XD actually im feeling like i am XD

anyway

can i pay 5 swamp and make her 6/6 for that turn?  
As long as you can pay the costs, you can activate the ability as many times as you want. If you have 5 black mana, then you can activate the Shade's ability five times.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

You can tap 5 swamps for black mana and activate its ability 5 times, yes. Each time the ability will resolve, it will increase the power and toughness of the shade by 1, ending at 6/6 after all the abilities have resolved.
All Generalizations are Bad
No, but you can activate the ability 5 times and pay 5 black mana in doing so. The shade will get +1/+1 5 times and end up a 6/6 until end of turn.
in case you haven't picked up on it, is not Swamp, it's black mana
proud member of the 2011 community team
Swamp is not the same thing as black mana.
Swamps generate black mana.
Liliana's Shade requires black mana, not swamps.

You can activate Lili's Shade with a Bayou or an Elves of Deep Shadow or a Mox Jet or a lotus petal or a Blood Crypt or a Woodland Cemetery.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
No, but you can activate the ability 5 times and pay 5 black mana in doing so. The shade will get +1/+1 5 times and end up a 6/6 until end of turn.

i guess thats to give my oponent a chance to react each time i use the skill ha?

like he may not mind when the creature is 3/3 but may wanna stop it around 10/ 10  or so??? XD

Correct. No matter how many times you plan to activate the ability, each activation will resolve separately. However, you retain priority after activating the ability, so if you want to activate it multiple times in respose to itself, your opponent won't be able to interrupt you.
Rules Advisor
yes, he can wait with his Terminate until you have spent all your mana

or for example if you only have 3 mana open he can use the Lightning Bolt in response to your first activation (so you can only buff it to 3/3 with the remaining 2 mana)

be sure to let your opponent know that you pass priority after each activation, and don't put them all on the stack at once. while the latter is possible it is usually a tactical error
in case you haven't picked up on it, is not Swamp, it's black mana

i just dunno how to put that nice lil skull in the forum yet. thats why u have a (0^0) in the topic :D 
either :bm: or [mc]b[/mc] creates that nice little

i guess thats to give my oponent a chance to react each time i use the skill ha?

like he may not mind when the creature is 3/3 but may wanna stop it around 10/ 10  or so??? XD

You can do this 2 ways:

1) each time you activate it you can give your opponent priority, and if he passes, the effect will resolve and the shade will get +1/+1. Do this as many times as you please.

or

2) Activate as many times as you want, but do no give your opponent priority until after you've activated it five times. If he passes priority, your shade will get +1/+1 5 times.

Normailly number 1 is your best option. Because with #2 if you activated it 50 times before you passed priority, your opponent could respond with a lightning bolt and your shade will die and you will have wasted a lot of mana.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
either :bm: or [mc]b[/mc] creates that nice little

Cool
be sure to let your opponent know that you pass priority after each activation, and don't put them all on the stack at once.

Note that it is not strictly necessary to tell your opponent that you are passing priority after you play each spell or ability as that is one of the default shortcuts listed in the TR:

- Whenever a player adds an object to the stack, he or she is assumed to be passing priority unless he or
she explicitly announces that he or she intends to retain it. If he or she adds a group of objects to the
stack without explicitly retaining priority and a player wishes to take an action at a point in the
middle, the actions should be reversed up to that point.