WG-Gaddock Teeg

20 posts / 0 new
Last post

Originally, I was going to get rid of this deck with my WUR (built around colors, never had a good commander) and B/BR (was bit eh, decided to try WB instead) Commander Decks. But while working on my URG-Riku Commander Deck, I decided that it wouldn't be so bad to have more than 2 commander decks. I guess I felt having 4 commander decks was just too many costly cards to work at, but at same time I liked idea behind this one and I think I'd be willing to try to keep it on more of budget.

As the title mentions, the commander is Gaddock Teeg. I only used the deck once, but it was enough to realize how much people hate that commander. This deck focused heavily around Mana Ramp and Creatures. I personally avoided using many high cost non-creatures since my commander makes them useless. Instead, I tried to focus all my cards around low cost removal of white, but I still had the occasional 4+ cost like Day of Judgment.
The only problem I encountered was that people really hate Gaddock. Within a few turn of playing him (before game came back to me), someone always killed him. So I kept having to pay more and more to cast him while my opponents got to use any spell they pleased, while building a much better field presence than I did.

So what I want from this topic is advice on how to rebuild the deck. Should I still shy away from 4CMC+ non-creature cards in my deck and use the sparing at best? Think it would be worth packing a ton of shroud and hexproof to protect Gaddock? Or do you think Gaddock will always be a lightning rod no matter what I do and that I should use him more as a decoy than a centerpiece of my strategy?
I still feel concept of deck is one of my better commander decks, since it revolves around commander. I just hate to see him die constantly; it just feels like the deck doesn’t fulfill its purpose. Since I am reworking my URG-Riku deck and planning to build a WB Commander, I am a bit hesitant to bring this one back into the mix. I do have an old version of it built still; it doesn’t have a lot of valuable cards, but it has enough to function. You think I shouldn't give up on it yet?

a friend of mine made one. he put sigarda in it. I have one in my krond.

Yeah, regardless of whether or not he's your commander, he usually paints a target on your head in this format considering the number of spells he stops people from playing.

If it's going to be W/G control based, play armageddon and maybe go that route...a late game armageddon in this format, when you have colored artifact mana, and your opponents don't since they don't expect it, is funny. Granted one 'geddon is a reach, but you have green at your disposal and manipulators like mirri's guile and sylvan library...kismet can also help slow your opponents down, he is a build that can be fast.

I really wouldn't call it a control. More of something to mess with the opponents. The idea is more to stop them from using their 4CMC+ non-creature while my deck was built knowing the restriction. The problem is that he dies quick, and them I'm left with a deck that lacks powerful spells. So I guess the main thing I am wondering is which of the following seems more practical for the deck:
1-Focus around non-creatures under 3CMC and add a bunch of hex-proof/shroud to hopefully keep Gaddock safe.
2-Use Gaddock more as a decoy to force my opponent to use their removal while in reality I am packing a fear amount of 4CMC+.

I may consider using Armageddon, but I personally feel it is too iffy with either of the above choices.

I really wouldn't call it a control. More of something to mess with the opponents. The idea is more to stop them from using their 4CMC+ non-creature while my deck was built knowing the restriction. The problem is that he dies quick, and them I'm left with a deck that lacks powerful spells. So I guess the main thing I am wondering is which of the following seems more practical for the deck:
1-Focus around non-creatures under 3CMC and add a bunch of hex-proof/shroud to hopefully keep Gaddock safe.
2-Use Gaddock more as a decoy to force my opponent to use their removal while in reality I am packing a fear amount of 4CMC+.

I may consider using Armageddon, but I personally feel it is too iffy with either of the above choices.

I think you should find a happy mix of both 1 & 2. gaddocks ability is blanket, and tough to come up with a "theme" for...for example, rith can have a token deck around him.

You could almost make him like a white green zoo deck.     

Personally, I don't see mixing the two to work too well. If I do add a bunch of cards to protect Gaddock while adding 4cmc+, I may end up with a dead hand just like my opponents, which seems like a waste of energy. I defiantly want the deck to emphasize on creatures either way, since Gaddock doesn’t affect them at all. So pretty much the theme is screw the non-creature spells, unleash a horde =P
So the question is more which seems more practical: trying to keep Gaddock alive by adding cards to hexproof/shroud him or expecting Gaddock to die and only using him to distract opponents. I just don't seem the two choices mixing very well. Personally, I would prefer try the first one more and just make sure Gaddock stay around (at least enough that he has an impact). I am just not sure if it is practical to try.

Go take a look at my build, the thread is called Would like some help with Gaddock Teeg.

Keep in mind that if you play that version of the deck. They will find you. And they will kill you. But you've got a pretty good shot.
People will always kill him/you cuz Teeg is a megajerk. That being said he was my first EDH deck and made a lot of people angry so I know your pain.

I ended up switching the deck to Captain Sisay so it seemed less threatening, but could still tutor up Teeg and such.
Go take a look at my build, the thread is called Would like some help with Gaddock Teeg.
Keep in mind that if you play that version of the deck. They will find you. And they will kill you. But you've got a pretty good shot.

Found it. Thanks for mentioning it. It should prove very helpful with the deck with all the cards listed.

People will always kill him/you cuz Teeg is a megajerk. That being said he was my first EDH deck and made a lot of people angry so I know your pain. I ended up switching the deck to Captain Sisay so it seemed less threatening, but could still tutor up Teeg and such.

Sisay is an interesting card for sure. If I do decide against Gaddock, I will certainly consider trying her instead.

One of the main things I am asking though his do you think I should stick with Gaddock? There are very few commander decks that wouldn't want to kill him (ironically, I think my Riku may not mind him, at least with some hands XD). I currently don't have an EDH group, but I think it is safe to assume that no one will be happy to see him (besides a person with a better Gaddock deck).
TBH, I am not too concerned about everyone hating me for playing the deck; I mean I can always pick a different deck if they hate him THAT much. I am more of worried that the deck will be hard to play because he is such a target. So can a Gaddock deck work well or is it a tad situational? E.g. would I find it a ton easier to play Sisay over Gaddock or is Gaddock not really that different than other decks?
I ended up switching the deck to Captain Sisay so it seemed less threatening, but could still tutor up Teeg and such.

I'm at that point with my Gaddock deck at the moment.  I thought about changing to Sisay.  I'll have to rework, of course.  I changed it not because the deck was irritating, most of my playgroup take things with a grain of salt (by that I mean destroy on sight, I still win some games with him, though), but because I have too many edh decks and instead of remaking a skeleton of a deck, I wanted to use the same rough outline.

If you do go Sisay, I can suggest some good legendary things:

Masako the Humorless
Reki, The History of Kamigawa
Umezawa's Jitte
Gaea's Cradle
Kor Haven
Yavimaya Hollow
Nemata, Grove Guardian
Kamahl, Fist of Beats
etcetera...
I changed it not because the deck was irritating, most of my playgroup take things with a grain of salt (by that I mean destroy on sight, I still win some games with him, though)

Thanks for the suggestions. Two things I want to ask. 1-From that comment, it seems that Gaddock was still useful despite all the hate aimed at him. So in your opinion, do you think Gaddock actually does serve his purpose enough as a Commander to make it practical to build a deck around him? 2-Did you find the Gaddock deck irritating at all? Do you personally I'd be better off going for Sisay over Gaddock?

Yes.  He was brilliant as a commander.  I started to drift away from the original premise, so I had to be careful.  Like playing a Wrath of God in the deck or whatnot... select planeswalkers as well.  I personally like Gaddock over sisay, she's just a change of pace. 
My Teeg deck is in the Decklist Compendium. With the way I had it built, I didn't have to switch anything when I swapped generals. Teeg is a great general. I was new to the playgroup and hadn't played much EDH so I only switched to Sisay because of peer pressure.

Thanks for letting me know. I guess I won't give up on Gaddock after all; although it may be worth looking into a Sisay swap if it the decks end up being close in builds.
Besides running a lot of creatures and avoiding 4CMC non-creatures, anyone have advice for the deck? Think it would be okay to use the occasional Day of Judgment or such or would you say it is best to stick completely to 3CMC or less non-creatures? Any notable 3CMC non-creature you'd want to suggest to make sure I didn't miss? Also, any great creature you'd suggest (preferable ones that can almost take place of the 4CMC non-creatures)?

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... is the list for reference. It's worth it to run wrath/day despite Teeg because there will be times when he isn't on the field.  Mageta, the Lion was kind of an all-star. Same with the angels in the deck. Marshall's Anthem was really good and over the 3-cmc mark.
Some of the stuff in my deck before it began to morph:

Aura of Silence
Oblivion Stone
Eternal Witness
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Sun Titan (The nuts in this deck, by the way)

New tech that comes to mind:

Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Saffi Eriksdotter
Angelic Renewal
Eight-and-a-Half-Tails

Thanks for the link; I am sure it will be useful. I will be sure to add a few 4CMC+ non-creatures cards, but I'll try to keep it to a min (under 5 probably). Mageta the Lion sure is a unique one. Personally, I feel a bit eh about discarding 2 for a board wipe; he'll probably make deck or at least high on swap, but I doubt he will be one of my first to buy (and I dare not check the price).
Quick question, if opponent tries to play a 3CMC artifact while I have Gaddock and Aura of Silence on field, does the Aura make it 5CMC and thus unplayable or can my opponent still play it since it was 3CMC to start (just needs to use 2 more mana)? I will certainly note all those cards to consider. I know for a fact that Sun Titan will make the deck though.
One thought I had; think it is worth using some of the flicker cards (e.g. Otherworldly Journey, Flickerwisp, Liberate, Safe Haven, Tawnos's Coffin, and Voyager Staff? I can see it being useful to let me remove Gaddock for a turn in case I wanted to Day of Judgment or use Mageta the Lion's effect. Although it would still let my opponent use their instants/flash 4CMC+. Still, I personally can see how those cards have potential in this deck, at least some of them.

I wouldn't worry about not having gaddock on the board.  If your opponents are willing to go to length to get rid of him, then you're better off for having had him slow them down. 

As well, he's low enough casting cost that you can retrieve him soon enough.

I wouldn't worry about not having gaddock on the board.  If your opponents are willing to go to length to get rid of him, then you're better off for having had him slow them down. 

As well, he's low enough casting cost that you can retrieve him soon enough.

True. Still, I am tempted to toss in a couple flicker cards. If not for Gaddock (e.g. they target with a Condemn and I flicker out; wasting their spell and keeping Gaddock in play without raising his cost), I can always use on other creatures to avoid wipes or removal. In most decks I would sly away from the idea of using flicker without a lot of targets that make use of it (although I may end up using some Detain cards or things like Armada Wurm that use flicker); but in commander I am sure the odds are someone will have a kill spell and with Gaddock around I think the odds are they will come at me XD Also I can flicker out opponent's creatures to remove counters, destroy auras, or just remove their blocker. Journet and Liberate would be my two main choices, maybe Voyager Staff. Tawnos's Coffin seems awesome, but 4CMC so it would make it tricky. Still, it is probably worth using the Coffin for removal aspect.
I'm not trying to convince you not to save Gaddock, but I had a great point put to me by a friend the other day.  He said, "Why would I use a tutor?  I'd rather just have something good to draw."  I don't quite agree with him, but I can see his point:

If you focus on stuff that saves your commander or other creatures, or whatnot, what else could you have put in that is going to advance your board position instead of being defensive and tricksy?  You've got some points in that you can do more than just save Gaddock with the cards you have ideas with, but do they threaten the opponent?  Can they be effective on their own?

That all being said, Tawnos' Coffin is a favourite of one around here.  I really like the card, as well.
Yah, that is why I say this is one of the few decks I'd consider using flicker in. In most deck, it would be a cool trick, but it just isn't practical. It really depends on opponents and their playstyle. E.g. if opponent doesn’t attack and doesn’t use kill spells and plays defensive with a Niv-mizzet or such, they probably won't be nearly as useful. But the odds are that in a good game with a few foes they will be worth it, especially when I can dodge that nuke.
Also, considering it will only be 3 out of 99 cards, it won't be taking too much away from the deck. On their own, they probably won't be to useful, although they can stop a foe from swinging at me for game by removing their big attacker. I defiantly think they are versatile enough to try.

Also, just to note, I found another card that seems interesting: Thalia, Guardian of Thraben. While it doesn’t seem to combo with Gaddock (e.g. even if it makes a spell 4 cost, it still ahs 3CMC and can be cast) it seems a bit interesting. Although 1C isn’t much, so maybe it isn't worth running. Still, I would like this deck to focus mostly on creatures so something like this could be interesting.
Sign In to post comments