Discarding and instants

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
If my opponent makes me discard a card, and I only have 1 card which is an instant, can I cast the instant instead (or before) (of) discarding it?
before (in response to whatever is making you discard)

if the card in question has Madness you can cast it instead
proud member of the 2011 community team
So if my opponent makes me discard a card with Mindrot and I hold Terror, I can cast it before discarding it? My instant would then be resolved and his Mindrot will nulify?
kinda

his Mind Rot will still resolve just fine, you just don't have any cards left to discard
Correct.

You have to do it in response to the Mind rot, you can not wait for it to resolve, then attempt to cast the spell.  (this assumes there is a legal target for terror on the battlefield)
MTG Rules Advisor
As a side note, if your opponent casts Duress, you can't wait to see what card he chooses and play it.
Awesome! Thanks for the fast responses!
As a side note, if your opponent casts Duress, you can't wait to see what card he chooses and play it.

Ok, but before I show him my hand, I can cast an instant right?
Yes, before Duress resolves you can.  Once it starts resolving you won't get priority again until after you have discarded the card.
MTG Rules Advisor
right

when you show him your hand it means Duress has started resolving and the next time you can do anything is after you discarded
Yes, of course. You always get a chance to cast instants before a spell resolves. It's once you reveal your hand that it's too late since that means Duress has started resolving