Mana pool question

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
When a card says "add ... to your mana pool", does that mana remains in the "pool" until the end of turn?

For example, during my main phase I cast Seething song, which adds 5 [R] to my mana pool.
Then I used 3[R] to cast Rally the Forces during my combat phase.
Then I wait until my end step to spend the remaining 2[R] to cast, say, Burn the Impure.
When a card says "add ... to your mana pool", does that mana remains in the "pool" until the end of turn?

All mana -- whether you produce it by tapping a Forest, a Llanowar Elves, or with a Seething Song -- remains in your mana pool until the current step or phase ends (or until you spend it).
For example, during my main phase I cast Seething song, which adds 5 [R] to my mana pool.
Then I used 3[R] to cast Rally the Forces during my combat phase.
Then I wait until my end step to spend the remaining 2[R] to cast, say, Burn the Impure.

That doesn't work. You produced the mana in your main phase, so you'll need to use it in the main phase or lose it. Similarly, if you tapped 5 mountains in your main phase, the mana they produce needs to be used in the main phase, or it will disappear.
106.4. When an effect produces mana, that mana goes into a player’s mana pool. From there, it can be used to pay costs immediately, or it can stay in the player’s mana pool. Each player’s mana pool empties at the end of each step and phase.

As usual, some cards may break the rule...

in case it isn't clear, Seething Song doesn't mean get 5 mountains and put them on the field 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.