Cipher, what do we know...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
The new keyword Cipher for the Dimir guild is confusing me a little.

At first, when I saw it, I assumed you could exile the card from your hand onto a creature who is attacking, allowing it to connect.  Then I read the text again, and realized you would have to exile the card from the stack since it says "spell card".

So, I assume, this means you must hard cast the spell and exile it from the stack encoded on a creature.  However, does this mean that the spell doesn't resolve from the stack?

I'm confused. 
56735468 wrote:
Residual energetic and psychic emenations from the spark of planewalkers going in and out of the blind eternities like it was a windmill eventually coalesced into beings named eldrazi who by their very nature could not consume mundane sources of nourishment to sustain their existence.
Our best guess without the official rules is that you exile the spell as the last step of its resolution, since Cipher is usually written last on the card and the reminder text uses "then." Its other effects will happen.
Rules Advisor
Read the article Gatecrash Mechanics.

You cast Undercity Plague normally from your hand, choosing a target player and paying its mana cost. When it resolves, the targeted player loses 1 life, discards and sacrifices; then instead of putting the Plague in your graveyard, you may exile it enconded on a creature you control (say, a Invisible Stalker).

Later, every time your Stalker with Plague enconded on it deals combat damage to a player, you get to cast a copy of Undercity Plague for free. The copy can't be enconded on a new creature because it's not a card, but the Stalker keeps the enconding so you can cast the Plague again and again each combat.

[<o>]
even better give it to a double striker

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Forum's etiquette:
Is the question about a spoiled card from an upcoming set? Then, put a spoiler warning (like [*Spoiler*]) into the thread's title, and if possible leave card names out of the title. Not everyone wants to see spoiler information before the official release.

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

Sign In to post comments