Black/White Exalted

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have several decks to choose from this FNM. Deck #1 is a Selesnya aggro that works well, is fun, and which I'm currently play testing. Another one I am considering is this very simple black/white exalted deck, which is a very slightly modified version (-4 Aven Squire / +4 Silverblade Paladin) of a test deck I use that does remarkably well. One downside is that the mana base will be hampered until Gatecrash rolls in with Godless Shrine

Gray Exalted 

Creature (28)

Other (8)
[deck]4 Victim of Night
4 Oblivion Ring[/deck]

Land (24)
[deck]4 Cathedral of War
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Isolated Chapel
5 Plains
7 Swamp[/deck]

I'm leaning towards the Selesnya aggro deck, and I may take this to play for fun in between games. Regardless, does anyone see any improvements to the above?

Besides fitting in Aven Squire somehow, which I can't possible find room for, it seems perfect. Although Green instead of Black may be worth trying, but I personally think the whole Grey Exalted thing is cool to see. With Green, you could run a bunch of 1 drop mana ramp knowing Sublime will make them Exalted later. Although you'd lose your nice unblockable and nighthawk; so both have thier advantages/disadvantages.
One thing that occurs to me, have you considered adding white token generation cards like Gather the Townsfolk? I only suggest it because they would later get Exalted from Sublime, could be significant. For example, turn 1 Tormented Soul, turn 2 Gather the Townsfolk (and swing for 1), turn 3 Silverblade Paladin (and swing for 2-3 depending on their field), and turn 4 Sublime Archangel (swing with 5 exalted triggers and double strike for 10). I guess the Knights would work about same in example since they have exalted and would get it again. Still, something to consider.
If I can get my hands on some Sublime (e.g. if I can trade for them since I can't afford them XD) I'll probably try this deck. Bant Exalted was my first MTG Deck and I know I'll want Sublime for that in Modern. So being able to use them in a workable Standard deck is just even more of a reason to go for them.

One thing that occurs to me, have you considered adding white token generation cards like Gather the Townsfolk? I only suggest it because they would later get Exalted from Sublime, could be significant. For example, turn 1 Tormented Soul, turn 2 Gather the Townsfolk (and swing for 1), turn 3 Silverblade Paladin (and swing for 2-3 depending on their field), and turn 4 Sublime Archangel (swing with 5 exalted triggers and double strike for 10).

I had not thought of it. I don't actually own Gather the Townsfolk but I'll put it on my list for next time I buy cards and play with it. I agree it works very nicely with Sublime Archangel. I'm not sure they have much other use when she's not out, except as chump blockers. Another option would be Lingering Souls, which I do have.

Lingering Souls would probably work much better. With token cards, they do work, but only with Sublime and they work the same as Knight (since knight has exalted and would get again from angel), only two targets instead of 1.
Another option, that is probably a lot trickier and harder to pull off, is the classic Bant Exalted. The problem is White is only color with exalted cards at the moment. But Green could give you a bunch of mana ramp while Blue can give you unblockables. I did a quick search and found Artful Dodge, Ghostform, Latch Seeker, Rogue's Passage, Soulsworn Spirit, Tricks of the Trade. White can still give Lifelink with Nearheath Pilgrim, Azorius Charm (has blue), or Drogskol Reaver (also needs blue and bit costly, but is an exalted god). And in addition to Drogskol Revear and Silverblade Paladin, there is Ajani, Caller of the Pride and Fencing Ace for Double Strike. Come to think of it, maybe Azorius Exalted would be better XD WB, WG, and WU all seem like good options.
Rogue's Passage may be worth considering for your Grey Exalted even; perhaps it could even replace your Tormented Soul (at least if Gatecrash provides some other good support). Nearheath Pilgrim, Ajani, Caller of the Pride, and Fencing Ace may also be nice to consider.

I started back in magic with a Exalted deck - a starter deck in fact.

I found that 1 and 1:wm in the same deck is not a good idea with only one set of dual lands. Because of that, I ditched most of the stuff and shifted towards more to improve reliability. If they were of the same tribe, Cavern of Souls would help, but theat's not the case here.

The deck will work when you can get Silverblade and Sublime paired. It can also work when the Knights have the color match-up they like. Otherwise, it will struggle.

Lingering Souls is a good choice and I found Tragic Slip goes well with it. The flashback makes Souls a natural choice and flying is good.

Outside of Sublime, the Knights are really the only Exalted cards worth playing and they are really good only in the color match-up. Because of that, you're better off forgetting about the Exalted mechanic and just looking for good cards.

Ajani is worth considering, as Sublime demands double-strike.

I really think you need to drop useable lands for the first four turns to have a chance at winning. Evolving Wilds really hampers that. There really is no good way to run the little guys and still get Silverblade on turn three. You should consider one drops and more Plains.

Four Cathedrals is also risky; drawing two means a mulligan.
All good advice. The mana issue should get a lot better in a few weeks... I'll probably just keep this as a test deck for now, but I will say it often does well against a bunch of decks here at home. However, when pitting a test deck against a candidate FNM deck we usually house rule Evolving Wilds as the appropriate shockland (or print up proxies).
Sign In to post comments