How to make this work without "memory issues"?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to do entwine on creatures.

Longhorn Warrior
Creature - Minotaur Warrior

As you cast this spell, choose one - ~ has +1/+0; or ~ has first strike.

Entwine

1/1

It's times like this were I wish there could just be rules like "use a penny, heads for +1/+0 and tails for first strike. Dont have a penny on the card if it's entwined"
The closest solution I can think of is counters of some variety, but then I would need two or three new kinds of counters. Any thoughts? 
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA
I want to do entwine on creatures.

Longhorn Warrior

As you cast this spell, choose one - ~ has +1/+0; or ~ has first strike.

Entwine

1/1

It's times like this were I wish there could just be rules like "use a penny, heads for +1/+0 and tails for first strike. Dont have a penny on the card if it's entwined"
The closest solution I can think of is counters of some variety, but then I would need two or three new kinds of counters. Any thoughts? 

I mean, you could reformat the card itself to have two round bubbles next to each ability. Then you'd place a bead/counter/other memory item in the bubbles that apply. So:

Longhorn Warrior
O -- ~ has +1/+0
O -- ~ has first strike
Entwine
1/1

So you put a bead on all the bubbles that apply.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

I'm just thinking this might be better with aura tokens attached to it. I really, really don't like volvers (despite how fun it is to say "volver"*) because of memory issues like this, and I don't think this type of thing appears much in Modern Magic.

*I was a teenager when Apocalypse came out. Sue me.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
screw memory issues. 
Not all cards that need keep tracking should need game rules to provide how they are tracked.

like I mean should Sol Grail comes with "~ enters the battlefield with a counter that's named after the color you have chosen for it."
People put a token on their library when they play Pact spells all the time to remind themselves to pay for the cost. Something just better goes without writing it out. Magic is a game that needs a LOT to keep track anyway.

i think this is cool.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
There's that one card. Uh, figure of destiny.
I'm just thinking this might be better with aura tokens attached to it. I really, really don't like volvers (despite how fun it is to say "volver"*) because of memory issues like this, and I don't think this type of thing appears much in Modern Magic.

volvers don't have memory issues. you can work out which abilities it has by counting the counters
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
So long as they don't acquire counters from anywhere other than their own abilities.
My favorite way of avoiding memory issues is to simply make the choices more memorable. Big splashy effects with immediate impact on the game, or attention-grabbing threats are much easier to remember than small utility effects like picking a color for a mana producer. It also helps if the different choices have distinctly different roles, like Primal Clay. Two minor boosts to a small aggressive creature that just let it be aggressive in different ways might not be the best choice to demonstrate the mechanic. But if the two abilities are too different, then it's hard to make Entwine work in a good way.

Using counters is also a good thing though. If you're making this a set theme, maybe all the Commons should be in the form "enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter; or -insert keyword here-"
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok

volvers don't have memory issues. you can work out which abilities it has by counting the counters

Moar like loline, amirite?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt