What types of games do you plan on running/playing?

I figure creative threads like these tend to unite the forums a little more as we have a common ground, so... yeah.  Now, let's assume the perfect module set you wanted is released and you're going to use it in your game. 

Sure, mechanics don't matter too much when it comes to mood and atmosphere, but what types of games do you want to run once D&D Next comes out?  (Please, I want this to stay positive)

As for myself, I wanna do space and time hopping shenanigans!  (Despite potential for paradoxes)  It's no surprise that I love Planescape (and the Chronomancer sourcebook), as I've admitted on the threads I'm a big fan of the planar travel and time travel tropes.

Enough from me, what says you?  What kind of adventures will you embark on?

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
I got two things in mind.

1) I'm going to run the original Ravenloft module. That will be some fun.

2) I'm currently creating a Warcraft conversion to 5e, as the packets go along. Once that is at a certain stage I'll run test games for it Nothing says test high levels like a trip through the Molten Core.
My two copper.

2) I'm currently creating a Warcraft conversion to 5e, as the packets go along. Once that is at a certain stage I'll run test games for it Nothing says test high levels like a trip through the Molten Core.

You're in luck for the first one.  The Fraternity of Shadows did a conversion of I6 using 5e rules!  If you look through the forums, you're bound to find it.

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

You're in luck for the first one.  The Fraternity of Shadows did a conversion of I6 using 5e rules!  If you look through the forums, you're bound to find it.

I know The_Jester had one, but it was sticky whether or not he could post it/share it.
My two copper.
Our group has already switched to Next 100%. We just update a few minor things are more packets come out. We're playing in a homebrewed setting. We tried pushing our DM to do a more tradtional campaign compared to our last one so we are enjoying a somewhat classical fantasy adventure. Though because our DM likes to pull out all sorts of stuff from his ass (mostly planescape and occasionally some Cthulhu Mythos) we kind of need to be on our toes. Basic premise of our campaign: There are two known continents in the world. 20ish years ago another continent was suddenly discoverd. Massive immigration ensued. Men, elves, dwarves and haflings quickly spread all over. Many valuable resources found. A few years later a storm blocks all passage between the old continents and the new. So the new continent is once again pretty much isolated. And then **** goes down of course.
I plan on running a Pre-Spellplague FR campaign that runs through the Bloodstone series (H1 through H4, perhaps with FR9 added in).  I may toss in Isle of the Ape (WG6) if I feel the party needs a challenge.  It should be easy enough to convert to the Realms.
Our group has already switched to Next 100%. We just update a few minor things are more packets come out. We're playing in a homebrewed setting. We tried pushing our DM to do a more tradtional campaign compared to our last one so we are enjoying a somewhat classical fantasy adventure. Though because our DM likes to pull out all sorts of stuff from his ass (mostly planescape and occasionally some Cthulhu Mythos) we kind of need to be on our toes. Basic premise of our campaign: There are two known continents in the world. 20ish years ago another continent was suddenly discoverd. Massive immigration ensued. Men, elves, dwarves and haflings quickly spread all over. Many valuable resources found. A few years later a storm blocks all passage between the old continents and the new. So the new continent is once again pretty much isolated. And then **** goes down of course.

I love some classical style fantasy, hope it goes well   Also, I dig the mad survival theme.

I plan on running a Pre-Spellplague FR campaign that runs through the Bloodstone series (H1 through H4, perhaps with FR9 added in).  I may toss in Isle of the Ape (WG6) if I feel the party needs a challenge.  It should be easy enough to convert to the Realms.

Yeah, Forgotten Realms!  Pre-plague will always be my fav. era.  Also, it shouldn't be too hard to fit Isle of the Ape in the Realms.  Perhaps southern Faerun, Maztica, or another continent?

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Yeah, Forgotten Realms!  Pre-plague will always be my fav. era.  Also, it shouldn't be too hard to fit Isle of the Ape in the Realms.  Perhaps southern Faerun, Maztica, or another continent?

I plan on sticking to the extradimensional pocket realm, so really I just have to switch a few NPCs around.  I plan on letting the players run the most powerful characters they can generate, then running them through things at minimum level.  Isle of the Ape is simply brutal on parties at minimum level, truly a jewel of attrition based combat with some wicked twists near the end.
An over-the-top, multi-climate adventure where all the important NPCs and villians are modelled after Street Fighter and King of Fighters Characters.

That or an adventure where the dieties are less active but encourage characters to act like wrestlers and grant blessings for interesting combats via magical belts.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

An over-the-top, multi-climate adventure where all the important NPCs and villians are modelled after Street Fighter and King of Fighters Characters.

That or an adventure where the dieties are less active but encourage characters to at like wrestlers and grant blessings for interesting combats via magical belts.

If I had the chance, I'd want in on this game  

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
"A world where the sun has burned out and the only reason most races survived was by bunking with the dwarves. Travel on the surface is limited (Though not impossible) due to the cold and resources are scarce and occasionally A mountain home drops all contact. Your group is part of the explorers guild, the only group with the resources to make traval between the mountain homes feesable, and during a routean trip spent delivering messages and supplies you witness first hand what is causing the various bastions of civilization to dissappear... Its up to you to fight survive and unite the mountain homes aginst this threat." ~How I would try and sell this adventure to my friends

Mm severe weather modual and an underground sub-race guide detailing how different groups adapt to underworld life, yes please.

That or an adventure where the dieties are less active but encourage characters to act like wrestlers and grant blessings for interesting combats via magical belts.

That reminds me Orzel, go check out Street Fighter x Mega Man. It's an old school megaman game where the end bosses are Street Fighter characters. And, it's FREE!
My two copper.
"A world where the sun has burned out and the only reason most races survived was by bunking with the dwarves. Travel on the surface is limited (Though not impossible) due to the cold and resources are scarce and occasionally A mountain home drops all contact. Your group is part of the explorers guild, the only group with the resources to make traval between the mountain homes feesable, and during a routean trip spent delivering messages and supplies you witness first hand what is causing the various bastions of civilization to dissappear... Its up to you to fight survive and unite the mountain homes aginst this threat." ~How I would try and sell this adventure to my friends

Mm severe weather modual and an underground sub-race guide detailing how different groups adapt to underworld life, yes please.

Gritty post-apocalyptic fantasy is always AWESOME (and usually GRIMDARK).  I figure a module a la Underdark book would probably cover that, maybe Dark Sun as well.  Also, this proves my thesis that dwarves are pure awesome!

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

Gritty post-apocalyptic fantasy is always AWESOME (and usually GRIMDARK).  I figure a module a la Underdark book would probably cover that, maybe Dark Sun as well.  Also, this proves my thesis that dwarves are pure awesome!

Dwarves are awesome! Except in the last game I played where they used dirt as currency lived in the desert and constantly lamented not having more dirt around them...

That DM did not share my love of dwarves.
Frankly I am thinking I might try a Wheel of Time type game.  I'm going to have to invent a few things to make it happen but that's understandable given their crazy as **** casting method.  that is long term goal though.  

In the short I am already starting up a nice little campaign at the moment starting centered on a fairly large monestary city deal (like monks not clergy) nestled in some wetlands next to a mountain.  I still need to figure out why the orcs are attacking them and dwarves in the mountains.  It has something to do with the shrines that can be found throughout the mountain range.  Many people use the shrines for different things.  They always give some kind of power.  Though often at a price.  Currently have a necromancer esqu cleric that is actively powered by one of the shrines who is always accompanied by a gnomish cleric of light that is powered by another (the necro doesn't know the gnomish cleric of light is powered by a shrine).  There was an NPC they met at one point who had accidentally been mind controlled by a shrine.  The dwarven city has a collection of the shrines (they are often moveable shrines), and I think the monestary might as well though they only have one of each (that whole balance thing).  I haven't yet figured out the importance of the shrines but I'm sure I'll think of something.  Might just do a monster of the week setup for a bit till I get an idea. Hey maybe I'll get lucky and my players will figure it out before I do.  

Alright here we go doc. necrotic. I plan to run a Pre 3e Darksun based campaign using the story and basic rules from the 2nd edition box set. I also would love to convert the Dragonlace Saga to 5e. and do all 16 Core modules. Then I'm definately going to try the AD&D Undermountain long term Crawl to do some hack and slash and puzzle solving games. all the while still playing other systems to see which one is best liked by my group as a vehicle for our Fantasy Adventuring. Right now Next is still just a maybe for my group.
Sometimes, you just want to kick down the door and kill everybody. 
Mine tend to depend on what literature I have recently appreciated and where the campaign world I have put together is at the stage.

Started with a pretty high and mighty campaign in 4e around the release of the Chained God. It had a lot of teleporting and amazing feats, and talking with gods and worldshaking events.

500yrs on in world, I am running a bit more  of a gritty campaign in Pathfinder - Outsiders killed the god of healing and corrupted healing magic, but the PCs are currently assisting a revolution of the government the PCs in the original campaign set up. The premise is that technology is just starting to make it into the world, and the government does not want that industry growing.

My next one will hopefully be run in Next, and depending on the outcome of the current campaign, will either be a VERY gritty low magic campaign based around yet another revolution or a much more magical adventurers style thing. I guess we'll see how that goes.

On the flip side, every PC I play generally has a darker side. I like fallen heros and dark heros. A magical genius who is being corrupted by the city he is operating in, a wizard who made a pact with a Shadowlord and can't die as a result, a Bard who went to war and returned broken and a Cleric who would do anything to collect knowledge are ones I have played in the past.
Leaning towards a new world exploration/colonisation Spelljammer game set in a Dyson sphere. Writing it up as ediiton neutral atm. Not sure whtat I want to do with it. 2nd ed had the original SJ rules, I can port Saga rules to 3.XYZ. Some sort of magical Venice on a semi infinate ocean.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

I ran The Sentinel with packet 2 and I'm running The Gauntlet with packet 4. If the next packet has reasonable higher levels, I'll probably run Vecna Lives!, otherwise I'll either run The Desert of Desolation or the Falcon series. Needless to say, I've found these older adventures provide a good playtest with minimal adjustments.

Bi-monthly open table at the FLGS.

Grim-dark, monotheist, sand-box with some options to open up or close off areas through play. Very early modern times, home-brew world with Banestorm links. Clerics are more like paladins, holy knights with heavy armor and healing powers. Gun-powder, to fill in the tactical void created by limiting magic. 

Low-magic; not a lot of fantastic creatures wandering around, magic-users are outside of society, big hard-hitting game changer spells when they do go off. Magic and the preternatural are strange and awe inspiring in this world. 

Will explore different degrees of immersion; most commonly talked about is character and game world immersion, but there is also immersion in the real world environment of the game table and the fellow players. All game tables I have played at flow between these two states. 

I’m going to try German game style tokens and battle maps with the idea that the players imaginations will paint a more interesting picture than detailed mini’s and dungeon tiles. 

Play style will alternate between heroic monster killing dungeon crawl and horrifying cthuluesque strange mystery. I’m interested to see how the contrasting styles affect the PC’s interpretation of the game world.

Love this setting, lots of opportunity to set the mood and scene with description. I have used underground weather, 20 years ago it kind of freaked the players out because it was unexpected. I'm not sure if its mainstream fantasy now.
Leaning towards a new world exploration/colonisation Spelljammer game set in a Dyson sphere. Writing it up as ediiton neutral atm. Not sure whtat I want to do with it. 2nd ed had the original SJ rules, I can port Saga rules to 3.XYZ. Some sort of magical Venice on a semi infinate ocean.

I use a ring world just for the option of endless oceans. Dyson sphere sounds cool, kind of creepy and just scary in a way. No stars! Thats a good way to change the environment. Do the locals know that they are inside of a dyson shpere?
Haven't run it yet. The eternal light may be a clue and IDK id they could tell if they were on the surface of one. I may add a magical night/daily eclipse and theywill know soon enough. I did start a 2nd ed game using it but forgot about the eternal daylight thing and they were up to fun and games at night time.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Haven't run it yet. The eternal light may be a clue and IDK id they could tell if they were on the surface of one. I may add a magical night/daily eclipse and theywill know soon enough. I did start a 2nd ed game using it but forgot about the eternal daylight thing and they were up to fun and games at night time.

I use screens like Niven did. So the transition from night to day is very abrubt. I down play it with the idea that everyone on the ring would expect this sort of thing. So I never mention dusk or twighlight, just say that it will be dark soon. There is also no arch in the sky like Niven talks about. Niether of the groups I've had in this world have figured it out yet. Both 2 or 3 month campaigns.

Not familiar with Niven. I got the idea from D6 Septimus which is free on RPGnow.com. The infinate ocean has a nice ring to it.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Sure, mechanics don't matter too much when it comes to mood and atmosphere, but what types of games do you want to run once D&D Next comes out?  (Please, I want this to stay positive)

I'm positive I'll be starting a new 4E campaign when Next comes out and that my group will be using Dawn of Worlds to create the setting together like we always do. Unless the perfect module says "kill everything in the core with fire and use this instead" there's no way anyone I know is planning on wasting money on Next.

I also disagree that mechanics don't matter when it comes to mood and atmosphere. If Mechanics don't matter then you'd see one of the universal systems used for pretty much everything. There's a reason why WEG Star Wars captured the feel of the original trilogy FAR better than d20 Star Wars ever did and that's because its mechanics were specifically tailored to the feel of the Star Wars films.

The OGL experiment which saw the d20 system stretched to TRY and cover every possible genre (because what starting game developer with a setting in their head is going to turn down a free ruleset?) is living proof that one rules system CAN'T actually emulate all moods and atmospheres very well.
I'd be continuing my FR campaign. It's been going since the '80s, and there's no reason to change. Just migrate the current rules (2e) to 5e and keep going.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

I'd be continuing my FR campaign. It's been going since the '80s, and there's no reason to change. Just migrate the current rules (2e) to 5e and keep going.

Has your group noticed a different feel to the FR from one rules set to the next SteelB?

Curse this thread!

Now one of my setting's Archdevils of the Hells are seriously Krizalid, Rugal, Oorochi, Urien, Gill, and Bison. And Akuma and Geese are Demon Princes.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Presently, using a home brew setting I've been working on since playtesting started, for playtests. With a Moorcock approach to Law vs. Chaos. Where Law is represented more by traditional style deities, and Balance as well. Chaos Lords are reskins of Warhammer 40K Chaos Gods, with appropriate flavoring. The world has recovered from the fall of a magical human empire, modled off of Eberron mixed with the Roman Empire, creating an Age of Exploration following a Dark Age period. 
I also want to do some Forgotten Realms games set centuries prior to the Time of Troubles, or stories between the Time of Troubles and the Spellplague. That's my favorite time period.
Also thinking about taking a crack at some Planescape style games. Let players come from their own D&D homebrew worlds. We have a number of those in our group. Something like, they were taken as slaves from their worlds. Get free of wherever they are slaving away only to find themselves in Sigil. 

Has your group noticed a different feel to the FR from one rules set to the next SteelB?

I'm not sure I can answer what I think you're asking. We've been playing this on houseruled 2e rules for decades. So there's not been any "one rules set to the next."

Being the "leader" of the playtest (I download and print out packets, and direct what we'll be doing with each one), I use setting-neutral scenarios when RP or adventuring is required, or just throw monsters on the board when we're doing straight combat effectiveness testing. Based on that, I'm not seeing anything that would give a different "feel" to the setting.

When I have a campaign set in Eberron, my games are morally ambiguous pulp-action style not-quite-indiana-jones-in-an-almost-victorian-magitech-setting. So pretty much standard Eberron, what with the fighting on the backs of lightning driven trains, jumping from flying ships, investigating insidious groups bent on launching the world back into a war, etc.

When I have a campaign set in Dark Sun, my games are much grittier, harder, and overall more lethal; I like more episodic-based games (or to more aptly discribe, "Spartacus: The table-top game").

When I have a campaign set in my home-brew campaign, I like to explore more in-depth concepts such as player-action-consequences, a view on colonization and slavery, and other such things. With lots of punching things in the face. And fireballs.

These are the games I have run for years. These are the sorts of games I will be running unless I can think of something new (and I often do; I don't only run games in D&D because sometimes I run modern or sci-fi games).

Supporting an edition you like does not make you an edition warrior. Demanding that everybody else support your edition makes you an edition warrior.

Why do I like 13th Age? Because I like D&D: http://magbonch.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/first-impressions-13th-age/

AzoriusGuildmage- "I think that you simply spent so long playing it, especially in your formative years with the hobby, that you've long since rationalized or houseruled away its oddities, and set it in your mind as the standard for what is and isn't reasonable in an rpg."

I'm not sure I can answer what I think you're asking. We've been playing this on houseruled 2e rules for decades. So there's not been any "one rules set to the next."

Being the "leader" of the playtest (I download and print out packets, and direct what we'll be doing with each one), I use setting-neutral scenarios when RP or adventuring is required, or just throw monsters on the board when we're doing straight combat effectiveness testing. Based on that, I'm not seeing anything that would give a different "feel" to the setting.

I see, I was hoping that your group changed everything but the campaign from one rules set to the next. Hmmm, Maybe I will have to Email Ed Greenwood and get his take.

The City Guard. PCs are either members or associates of the city guard in a big city and have to deal with mundane crimes, supernatural crimes, demon summoning in the sewers and stuff like that. I played this kind of campaign many times and it always worked out well.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Awesome thread. 

I have this mad, mad dream that may someday come to fruition since older edition material will be available in digital form some time soon...

I want to run every adventure ever published for D&D.  In order.  In a single campaign.

They don't call me "Crazy" Monkey for nothing.  ;)

All around helpful simian

I want to run every adventure ever published for D&D.  In order.  In a single campaign.

That . Would . Be . Awesome!!

Curse this thread! Now one of my setting's Archdevils of the Hells are seriously Krizalid, Rugal, Oorochi, Urien, Gill, and Bison. And Akuma and Geese are Demon Princes.

With seth being the broken POS master of hell!
My two copper.
Awesome thread. 

I have this mad, mad dream that may someday come to fruition since older edition material will be available in digital form some time soon...

That would be legen....wait for it...dary.
My two copper.
I usually wait for the players to make their characters before I decide too much about the world, unless I'm running in Eberron. I'm up for just about anything as far as worlds go and aren't too low magic. My current Next game setting is of my own creation that I'm adding stuff to as I go. Its set in the coastal city of Shimmershore, a town founded by a shipwrecked sailor who found that the island was perfectly situated for sunken treasure and other ship cargo to wash up on shore. Most people make a living in Shimmershore by "skimming" the shoreline for treasure. Some people come to the island thinking they can clean up in gold, but most find that its easy to arrive on Shimmershore, but difficult to leave. Few normal people have made it off the island. This is mostly due to goblinoid pirates, horrid local savages, deceptively shallow waters, and the very bad weather that washes treasure up to shore makes most normal ship travel impossible. Most people that live in Shimmershore, don't want to be there. The majority of residents are also highly superstitious as well. Despite all this, day to day life is much the same as it would be in other places, when the weather permits, pirates aren't raiding, and the savages aren't acting up. Shrines to the major gods are present and a handful of clerics are found there. Many people seek the aid of the divine, even in these times of apparent silence and rumored absence for reasons unknown...
Awesome thread. 

I'd play in that...If only I had the time.