Epic Experiment

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I cast Epic Experiment and one of the revealed cards has split second, how will it interact with the other cards I revealed as I decide what to cast?
Rules Advisor
You choose the order in which you cast them, so you can cast those without split second first. After you've cast one with split second, you're done; you can't cast anything else while a spell with split second is on the stack.
Ok, thanks.
Rules Advisor
But can you cast the spell, let it resolve, and then cast the other spells?

Or does the spell allow you to cast a sorcery when the stack is not empty?

(It has to be one or the other, or you can't cast more than one sorcery)

You must cast them during Experiment's resolution; there's no waiting.
You may cast any number of Instants and/or Sorceries: timing is forgotten for that while.

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

Neither.

Rules Advisor

Neither.

Sorry, but that isn't correct.
of course you can cast more than one sorcery
Epic Experiment allows you to

you cast the spells during the resolution of Epic Experiment, you generally can't cast spells there, but Epic Experiment allows you to, regardless of usual timing restrictions

now, if there is an additional restriction such as Split Second or a mandatory additional cost you can't pay (say Fling without any creatures on the field) that will still apply
proud member of the 2011 community team

The only limits on which spells can be cast are those mentioned in the instructions allowing you to cast a spell*. There's nothing inherent to sorcery cards that restricts them to being cast when the stack is empty.

"Sorcery timing" is merely a limit in which spell priority allows you to cast.

• Priority gives the option to the player to cast an instant spell.

• Priority gives the option to the player to cast an noninstant spell if it's his main phase and the stack is empty.

On the other hand,

• Epic Experiment gives the option to the player to cast certain cards.

Notice that Epic Experiment doesn't impose any conditions based on spell type, so you can indeed cast noninstants even if the stack isn't empty.

(By the way, if you were right, you wouldn't be able to cast any sorcery spells at all using Epic Experiment because Epic Experiment itself is on the stack when it resolves.)

* — Unless a replacement overrides the rules, as usual.

Neither.

Sorry, but that isn't correct.

No, it is.

Rules Advisor

The only limits on which spells can be cast are those mentioned in the instructions allowing you to cast a spell*. There's nothing inherent to sorcery cards that restricts them to being cast when the stack is empty.

"Sorcery timing" is merely a limit in which spell priority allows you to cast.

• Priority gives the option to the player to cast an instant spell.

• Priority gives the option to the player to cast an noninstant spell if it's his main phase and the stack is empty.

On the other hand,

• Epic Experiment gives the option to the player to cast certain cards.

Notice that Epic Experiment doesn't impose any conditions based on spell type, so you can indeed cast noninstants even if the stack isn't empty.

(By the way, if you were right, you wouldn't be able to cast any sorcery spells at all using Epic Experiment because Epic Experiment itself is on the stack when it resolves.)

* — Unless a replacement overrides the rules, as usual.

That's interesting, I must have misunderstood the new rules, I thought you could respond to an instant with a sorcery now as long as it was your main phase.

New? I'm not familiar with any change in this area since they got rid of interrupts.

Yeah, you definitely can't do that normally.
New? I'm not familiar with any change in this area since they got rid of interrupts.

Yeah, you definitely can't do that normally.

Yeah, that's still kind of new to me. I started playing around when Legends came out, but had my cards stolen a couple of times followed by long periods of not playing the game.

This definitely made me appreciate Hypersonic Dragon more.

116.1a A player may cast an instant spell any time he or she has priority. A player may cast a noninstant spell during his or her main phase any time he or she has priority and the stack is empty.

You might consider reading the Comprehensive Rules. (five pages a day, you'll be done in a month)

There's also this shorter text:

Rules Primer for Returning Players

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

116.1a A player may cast an instant spell any time he or she has priority. A player may cast a noninstant spell during his or her main phase any time he or she has priority and the stack is empty.

You might consider reading the Comprehensive Rules. (five pages a day, you'll be done in a month)

There's also this shorter text:

Rules Primer for Returning Players

I did actually read through the primer and I consult the rules regularly, but the rules are complex enough that it makes it easy to miss a few things.
I believe you were the one who linked it to me then. 

no

yes, it does (provided the sorcery is one of the exiled cards) and it also lets you cast a sorcery when you don't have priority

it's the second

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.