1/9/2013 LI: "Donations are Required"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Wizards knows Marshall well, to give him this card to preview.

Value Bear indeed.  Cool
Good analysis, although obviously padded to give the article girth.

Someone please convince the Online Media department to give Limited Information a few choice spoilers of important commons/uncommons. They effect the game much less than a rare, and I need to see a few to get excited.

Also, when they give any author a single preview that's less than rare, this is equally disappointing.
I agree with Senyuno, Marshall did a good job on the article, having actually written a 1300+ word article on one common without getting boring. But I feel for him, they should've given him at least one more card. 

I agree with Extort being a more powerful ability than it seems at first glance, especially in longer games. But I'm not playing the two-headed giant prerelease... I think there will be a lot of double Orzhov mirror matches...
I'm actually more excited about this card than some of the other previews - I could see draft archetypes that focus around this guy.

And, I'm excited to include him in Pauper WW decks.
The original Ravnica block gave us Aquastrand Spider, which also combos well with Doubling Season, Corpsejack Menace, Gilder Bairn, and proliferate. Of course, graft is a good ability, even if reach isn't. RTR gave us Drudge Beetle.

This card's still really good. I can see Esper cipher or Junk bounce being a thing with extort.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I haven't heard a whole lot about the keyword "Extort".  But frankly, I think it is much more powerful than anyone, even the writer, gives it credit for being, particularly in limited.  Reach is typically very difficult to come by in limited.  With extort all of your spells have reach for the low price of 1 mana, plus the added benefit of gaining 1 life.  In the past there have been cards that drained your opponent 1 life while gaining you 1 life for 1 mana and you had to spend a card to do it!  Imagine a mechanic that enabled all of your spells to cantip for 1 mana.  Think about how over the top powerful that would be in limited-your card advantage would be insurmountable.  Extort is basically that, except instead of drawing a card, you're draining for one, which is sometimes going to be more powerful than a random card off the top of your library.

And I agree it could be sick in WW in Pauper.  White generally doesn't have reach and something like this will go a long way.  I'm thinking casting this and curving into Squadron Hawk on turn 3 is going to be a pretty nifty interaction.      
I haven't heard a whole lot about the keyword "Extort".  But frankly, I think it is much more powerful than anyone, even the writer, gives it credit for being, particularly in limited.  Reach is typically very difficult to come by in limited.  With extort all of your spells have reach for the low price of 1 mana, plus the added benefit of gaining 1 life.  In the past there have been cards that drained your opponent 1 life while gaining you 1 life for 1 mana and you had to spend a card to do it! 

I'm glad you're even more excited about Extort than I am, but just for the record, Taste of Blood was a very, very bad card. :-)
I haven't heard a whole lot about the keyword "Extort".  But frankly, I think it is much more powerful than anyone, even the writer, gives it credit for being, particularly in limited.  Reach is typically very difficult to come by in limited.  With extort all of your spells have reach for the low price of 1 mana, plus the added benefit of gaining 1 life.  In the past there have been cards that drained your opponent 1 life while gaining you 1 life for 1 mana and you had to spend a card to do it! 

I'm glad you're even more excited about Extort than I am, but just for the record, Taste of Blood was a very, very bad card. :-)

It's a terrible card but the point remains.
Would Taste of Blood be a terrible card if it was identical but had "splice onto anything for W/B" though? 
Sign In to post comments