Swarm Shifter Aura (Open Grave)

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was inputting the templates from Open Grave into Masterplan when I came across the following aura and was kind of balked:

Swarm Attack aura 1; the swarm shifter makes a poisonous
bite attack against an enemy that starts its turn within the
aura.

My instinct is to turn this into an immediate interrupt ability as opposed to an aura, as that would appear to be a cleaner implementation. Simply for curiosity's sake, are there any rules niggles that would functionally change this ability, were it an interrupt (or reaction) as opposed to an aura? I can't think of another aura I have seen of this nature, though I suppose the Cavalier's (?) aura bears some similarity. Maybe I just haven't been exposed to enough Essentials material yet.

If you make it an immediate action, it will only be able to use it once per round; if two PCs start its turn in the aura, it will only be able to attack one of them.
Obviously, the biggest impact on making the poisonous bite aura attack as a Immediate Interrupt triggered power would be that it would limit it to once per round being an Imemdiate action. It would also not be usable while Stunned, Dominated, Dazed or Surprised or when under effect preventing from taking Imemdiate actions, such as Blissful Ignorance or Curse of the Dark Delirium neither.

Turning it into a Triggered No Action power would practically change nothing on the other hand.

Here's an exemple:

Swarm Attack

Swarm Attack               Swarm Shifter Attack
Your nearby enemies learn the hard way that it is 
unwise to close on you.
At-Will  Martial
No Action                                           Personal
Trigger: An enemy that starts its turn within
your aura.
Effect: Makes a poisonous bite attack against 
the triggering enemy.

most swarms have an aura that allows them to make attacks OR to deal automatic damage.  It's a fairly common thing.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

most swarms have an aura that allows them to make attacks OR to deal automatic damage.  It's a fairly common thing.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that then. This was a first for me. Thanks for the heads up!
If you make it an immediate action, it will only be able to use it once per round; if two PCs start its turn in the aura, it will only be able to attack one of them.

Oh crap. I knew I had to be overlooking something and this is it. I seem to mix up Turn and Round when considering these type of actions.
Obviously, the biggest impact on making the poisonous bite aura attack as a Immediate Interrupt triggered power would be that it would limit it to once per round being an Imemdiate action. It would also not be usable while Stunned, Dominated, Dazed or Surprised or when under effect preventing from taking Imemdiate actions, such as Blissful Ignorance or Curse of the Dark Delirium neither.

Turning it into a Triggered No Action power would practically change nothing on the other hand.

That perfectly answers my question and helps clarify my confusion on immediate actions! Thank you! Of course, now that I'm aware of how this is supposed to run, I suppose I don't need to change anything. I thought this was an odd-man-out kind of power. I guess I was mistaken.

Thank you for the help folks  
Sign In to post comments