How do I run a labyrinth dungeon?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have made my own labyrinth map; the players will enter, and will need to exit. 
However I want them to have the chance of getting lost and having to use imagination to not get lost.
I can't think of a way for them to get lost if they just have the map drawn out before them.

Any examples or anything will be appreciated, and any advice.
Thanks 
Don't use a map. Run it narratively, perhaps using a skill challenge mechanic. Ask them how they're dealing with being in a maze. If they offer one of the well-known (and therefore no longer that creative) methods for navigating a maze, then just assume that they eventually get through, unless they encounter problems. The whole point of encounters they have could be to avoid getting lost. If they lose, they're not killed (unless they prefer to be), but their method has been fouled up in some way and now they're lost.

That's one example. There are probably other ways. Basically, though, don't bother with an actual map.

(edit: Anyway, if you do use a map, make the game about something other than the risk of getting lost. Look at the movie "Labyrinth": only a little time is spent on her frustrations with being lost, because that would get boring after a while. Focus on what's actually interesting about being in a labyrinth.

By the way, are you sure the players want to be challenged by a labyrinth anyway?)

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Decide it takes X hours to get through the dungeon. Every hour, ask for a dungeoneering/navigation roll. Failure adds 1d4 hours.  Every 1d4 hours there is a random encounter. Don't navigate "You go left, left again, right, straight through a T" its boring and [pretty much] everyone hates it. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

Strongly recomend against 3 hours of in game RP of left, right, straight ahead-dead end back to the last intersection left, right, left- dead end.

As a skill challenge it dose not have to be all INT and WIS skills to navigate-
Theivery to disarm a trapped corridor
Acrobatics to evade a trap and disarm it on the other end of the room
Athletics to jump or climb obstacles
group Endurance check to march for hours
Stealth to sneak past guard posts
Diplomacy or Bluff to easy tension among the party when people start getting frustrated.

Instead of a set list of skills you could come up with a random encounter/challenge chart like the explore a city example in DMG2           
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
another good starting point is H2 thunderspire labyrinth. it gas ways of navigating the labyrinth and even has a rough map, but not one the players can follow, it just shows where roughly under the mountain locations are. worth a look.
It also depends on what they're trying to do inside the labyrinth: looking for a specific location/item/creature inside the place would be handled a bit differently than if the party is just trying to get to another exit (especially if that exit is known).
Strongly recomend against 3 hours of in game RP of left, right, straight ahead-dead end back to the last intersection left, right, left- dead end.

As a skill challenge it dose not have to be all INT and WIS skills to navigate-
Theivery to disarm a trapped corridor
Acrobatics to evade a trap and disarm it on the other end of the room
Athletics to jump or climb obstacles
group Endurance check to march for hours
Stealth to sneak past guard posts
Diplomacy or Bluff to easy tension among the party when people start getting frustrated.

Instead of a set list of skills you could come up with a random encounter/challenge chart like the explore a city example in DMG2           

I recommend using a skill challenge, but I don't recommend shoehorning things into the list of primary skills. It's not a "set list of skills," anyway, just the list of skills that will obviously work. Any skill can work in a skill challenge, with justification, as discussed in the DMG.

It the goal is to keep everyone involved, have multiple things going on.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Sign In to post comments