4E Telekinesis Equivalent?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there a 4E equivalent for the old Telekinesis spells/powers. Mainly to take/disarm an object held by someone or something? It seems that in 4E you cannot take attended objects (or disarm in general).
Psion class.

But no, generally, you can't take attended objects away, for balance reasons (because when enemies can do it to PCs, the game breaks).
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
mage hand can also works like that, and there is also psionic cantrips from wild talent feats that were introduced on dark sun, but you better ask your DM permission for that one.
Psion class.

But no, generally, you can't take attended objects away, for balance reasons (because when enemies can do it to PCs, the game breaks).

Pretty much this. Once players start using this tactic and it works, the DM realizes how effective it is and starts using it on the PCs. It is far harder on PCs to be disarmed than it is for monsters, so the game breaks down. Same is true of called shots.

I don't see any reason why it should be impossible to invent some kind of telekinetic stealing ability. You'd use some sort of ability/skill check against some sort of DC/defense, and have some possibly a little open-ended effect, but then again in general it isn't going to be a huge big deal. I mean OK, suppose you had an encounter power that let you disarm an enemy. MOST of the time it isn't going to do a lot. Once in a while the plot will reward that tactic. It does represent something for the DM to need to work out, but its really on the lesser end of that sort of issue. I think it would be better if 4e were less afraid of a bit of open-ended design.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
I don't see any reason why it should be impossible to invent some kind of telekinetic stealing ability. You'd use some sort of ability/skill check against some sort of DC/defense, and have some possibly a little open-ended effect, but then again in general it isn't going to be a huge big deal. I mean OK, suppose you had an encounter power that let you disarm an enemy. MOST of the time it isn't going to do a lot. Once in a while the plot will reward that tactic. It does represent something for the DM to need to work out, but its really on the lesser end of that sort of issue. I think it would be better if 4e were less afraid of a bit of open-ended design.

Right.

If the item in question is a plot item (key, pendant, etc.), then I would allow a Telekinetic Psion to lift the object with a successful Arcana or Intelligence check. Taking the greataxe from the giant's hand? Probably not.

Right.

If the item in question is a plot item (key, pendant, etc.), then I would allow a Telekinetic Psion to lift the object with a successful Arcana or Intelligence check. Taking the greataxe from the giant's hand? Probably not.

I look at it this way. If its going to happen constantly and every BBEG with an important item is going to have it snatched away as the standard tactic that's too bad and probably should be discouraged. OTOH if its just a regular monster its trivial, said giant picks up a tree branch or throws rocks, or whatever, with some minor reduction in damage bonus or something. When its plot significant the player will have to work for it, make some checks and maybe go in and get the item after snatching or whatever to make it 'stick', but it can represent a fun tactic. It falls into the called shot thing.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Sign In to post comments