Shroud of Awe + Words of Power...

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was making an Invoker having mostly only the different words of power-powers (Word of Fiery Condemnation/Bewilderment/Annihilaion), when I noticed the Shroud of Awe Utility power was an Invoker power.

This made me wonder how exactly Words of Power work. Does their power work upon targets hearing them, or  is some force unleashed upon the world when they are uttered? Because in the earlier case, unleashing it upon every creature within 500 feat would be very powerful, and create some interesting options outside of battle.
They work exactly as they say they work, the fluff for it is just speaking the words.  This harkens back to Supernal being a language that causes things to happen just by the innate power of the words.

So with Shroud of Awe people can hear the word, but it does not alter the effects of the spells themselves.  Because the abilities in 4e do exactly what they say.  No more, no less.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
As Matyr says. HOWEVER, don't let the rules get in the way of the story. I mean that things should generally work in accordance to the rules because that's what the players know and expect, and it usually works. OTOH rules are just a way to make the game work, tools, not a law to restrict you. There could be a situation where one of these powers DOES work on everyone that can hear it, or there could be 'greater words of power' that can be learned and used in a specific situation, like a very specific ritual or one shot consumable boon or something. It would be logical that something like that would fall to the Invoker to utilize. Build on it, make a story around it, rework some PP or ED to bring the power word speaking character's destiny to its fruition.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
True, if you think it is more interesting to change the rules, by all means do so*.  DMs can/should/do all the time.  But the basics of how it works are black and white.

*- As long as you know what the actual rules are in case you change tables, games or groups and as long as the DM and other players are ok with this change in rules.  Also everyone at the table should know there has been a rule change to the new thing. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here