Blue/Black Mill

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
It seems fine, but there are a few things I'll pick up on.

First, Blood Artist doesn't seem to be that much of a thing. He's good, but he doesn't actually do much that you particularly want. You're not trying to attack life totals, so the life loss is nothing special. Of course, other players will be attacking life totals so it's not wasted, but for a milling deck this one is already pretty thin on milling cards (8 strong ones, plus Nightveil Specter), so I'd be dropping it in favour of something more to do with Plan A.

I'm also not a fan of Force of Will in multiplayer. Two cards to stop a single spell from a single opponent (and if it's a creature, maybe not even one that was going to hurt you) is a poor deal, and you don't have the draw power to compensate for it.

There seems to be an awful lot of defence but not a lot that's going to try and win. Alt-win conditions like milling or poison are tough in that you have to do everything yourself. Opponents' life totals are being attacked from all sides, but with milling nobody else is doing your work for you (well, aside from drawing cards). You could add in something like Forced Fruition or Whispering Madness, but that type of milling has the problem that it will quickly help find whatever solutions your opponents might be running. I'm not sure you need Fog Bank, Baleful Strix and Typhoid Rats, and having them is setting you up to be on the wrong side of your own Damnation. As well as that, you won't want to cast all those little buys when you have Damnation in hand, so Consuming Aberration is likely to be waiting around.

Whispering Madness can trigger Aberration reliably though, because the copy it creates is cast. It's still got problems with Damnation, so that's a thing. But I'm in favour of adding spells that you'll still want to cast. And Duskmantle Guildmage seems like a pretty sweet deal, especially alongside something like Belltower Sphinx as a deterrent to large attackers.
So I've concocted my own deck desgined for a mill-multiplayer. That I'd like some critque on, but I saw there was another tread already. So a Bump for, OP, and hopefully some assistence for both of us.

[deck]
2 Archive Trap
3 Recoil
1 Mind Grind
[/deck]
[deck]
2 Lich Lord of Unx
2 Mindshrieker
2 Geralf's Mindcrusher
1 Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
2 Consuming Aberration
1 Nightveil Specter
1 Undead Alchemist
4 Hedron Crab
[/deck]
[deck]8 Swamp
4 Drowned Catacomb
2 Nephalia Drownyard
2 Watery Grave
8 Island
[/deck]

Things I really wanted to incorpate were Jester's Scepter and Drowner Initiate/Sage's Row Denizen but I'm not sure they are justifued. I'm aware of the Bloodchief Ascension + Mindcrank infinite combo, and simply put that's not my goal at all.

I'll admit it's a little bit budget. I think the hardest part is a little bit of defense to help prevent people from beating on me.  Prehaps... Riddlekeeper?

~BD 

Mind Grind is an awesome card; other MP mill effects are Mesmeric Orb and Dreamborn Muse; the Orb plays nice with Propaganda and Mana Web.  From experience, Riddlekeeper is pretty good.

To combat the self-milling of the Orb and the Muse, the elder Eldrazi and Gaea's Blessing are workable options.

I state all this because most mill in both decks is targeted, which means you are likely to mill out one opponent and annoy a second before being killed off.  The above cards are how I got around this - I mill everyone at once... at least it makes for faster games.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.

Wow fast reply, my hat off to you, I didn't expect one today.

Actaully I had good ol' Kozilek in there, guess that version didn't save. Dreamborn muse, while amazing I thought had too high a CMC. Do ye say different? I'd like to know.
Mesmeric Orb, ye gods. Prefect. Thank you.

Actually I'm aware Most mill is targeted, but I'd like to point out I've savanged as much "All-Player-Mill" that I could mutter.
Mindcrank, Whispering Madness, Mind Grind, Consuming Aberration.
The chopping block had: Whetstone, Belltower SphinxMemory Erosion (For lack of card draw), and Shared Trauma I'm still on the fence about.

cards like memory erosion and riddlekeeper are also nice, because they effect every player. i would consider having 4 Jace's phantasm because they're fantastic blockers

on a side note, ive heard this combo somewhere...collective voyage plus a mind grind later in the game. good way to mill A LOT. too bad voyage is green... 

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
Sign In to post comments