House rules for familiars

Looking over previous editions, I am thinking about making some house rules for the familiars in my campaign.  Familiars seem a bit shallow as characters level up.  I think some of the strength of the wizard it is bonded with should rub off on them as they level up.

So far, this is what I am thinking:

Bonuses:
Int.:  Giving an Int bonus
Level 1: 0
Level 2: +1
Level 3: +2
Level 4: +4
Level 5: +6
Level 6-9: +8
Level 11-18: +9
Level 19-20: +10

AC: Natural armor adjustment.
Level 3-10: +1
Level 11-18: +2
Level 19-20: +3

Hit Points: At level 3 they get half their master's HP rounded down (or 9HP whichever is higher)

Cantrips:
Gain the ability to use cantrips at level six.  I chose this as something close to the Cleric gaining MDD at level six.
Level 6-9: 1 cantrip per day
Level 10-13: 2 cantrips per day 
Level 14- 17: 3 cantrips per day
Level 18-20: 4 cantrips per day

I am also thinking about making that per encounter instead of per day. 

Spell Resistance: Master's Level +5 

Share Spell:  At the master’s option, he may have any spell he casts on himself also affect his familiar. The familiar must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit.  

Alertness: Get get a +2 bonus on all Listen checks and Spot checks while your familiar is within arm's reach.

*Not sure what level to add the last two benefits.
Having thought about this for a few hours now, it might seem like a big bonus for a feat.  A second option might be a feat like Improved Familiar, something that allows a strongar familiar that can cast cantrips.
Hi,

I'm going to move this to D&D Next General Discussion since this isn't a DM Session report.

Thanks!

Monica

Monica

Wizards of the Coast Online Community Coordinator

A friendly dragon.

Getting to Know Your Magic Online Client

Basic Dungeons & Dragons FREE