Sacrifice & Morbid

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Today someone was telling me that if a creature is sacrificed, rather than directly killed by combat damage or a spell, then that doesn't count as "dieing" by the game's terms and morbid effects (such as [C]Tragic Slip[/C]) won't apply.  They also said that a creature with undying (Such as [C]Geralf's Messenger[/C]) Dying without any +1/+1 counters on it also doesn't count as dieing.  I thought that this was wrong--any time a creature is sent to your graveyard for any reason it counts as dieing, meaning morbid effects will count.  Who's right?
"Die" means "put into a graveyard from the battlefield."

If the thing in question went directly from the battlefield to the graveyard for any reason, it died. 

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

He may be getting confused with 'destroyed' which comes either from a spell/ability explicitly stating destroy, or also from taking lethal damage (any damage is lethal if the source has deathtouch) in the case of creatures.

Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy...

Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.

Will not buy Duel 2015 until 2HG reinstated.

Grei wrote:

Orc_Welfin wrote:
 I've removed content from this thread. 

Nice to know removing content is a company wide policy.
dying isn't dependent on destruction or sacrifice or toughness less than one or the legend rule

it's dependent on the creature starting on the battlefield and going to the graveyard, if that happens then it died

some things like Progenitus or Darksteel Colossus will rarely die because under normal circumstances they won't go to the graveyard

likewise Leyline of the Void and Rest in Peace would shut off dying because they'd prevent things from going to the graveyard

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out