[GTC-ICD] Signal the Clans

78 posts / 0 new
Last post

Signal the Clans (Rare) -
Instant
Search your library for three creature cards and reveal them.
If you reveal three cards with different names, choose one of them at random and put that card in your hand. Shuffle the rest into your library.
Gruul clanfolk obey few rules, but all feel bound to answer the call of the horn.

Source: mtg-jp.com
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Eladmari's Call says "meh."  I can't imagine this seeing play in constructed, though maybe in Commander where all of the creatures you search for are sweet anyway and you aren't running white with your green.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Meh.  Good in limited, as it cheaply tutors for one of your 3 best creatures.  Maybe you could play this in modern, fetching three of the various combos that work with Splinter Twin/ Kiki?  Doesn't seem great though.
oh god, jund midrange... 

Olivia, Thragtusk and Huntmaster of the Fells

eh...

This seems fine to me, but perhaps I'm seeing it through beer goggles, because all I can think of is grabbing a Thragtusk, a Huntmaster, and a Restoration Angel and letting my BR aggro opponent cry.
Eladmari's Call says "meh."  I can't imagine this seeing play in constructed, though maybe in Commander where all of the creatures you search for are sweet anyway and you aren't running white with your green.

Animar and Riku say hi

3DH4LIF3

Terrible.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

two mana, somehat random tutor. i think this can be used.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Well, in the end of the day it's still a 2-mana instant tutor. But I really don't know what to think about this card.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Yeah. This card is bad.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Weird templating. Why isn't it just "Search your library for three creature cards with different names and reveal them. Choose one at random and put that card in your hand. Shuffle the remaining cards into your library."

Why give the IF clause? So people can spend RG and a card to shuffle their library?
Wow, this is really good.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
holy crap this is good, you guys realize that its instant right? its an instant creature tutor spell for 2 mana... how can you call that bad?
holy crap this is good, you guys realize that its instant right? its an instant creature tutor spell for 2 mana... how can you call that bad?

Did you forget that it says "random" in the text.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

It gives you a creature. As long as all your creatures are good, you can't lose.

Zoo-type decks will love this.
Weird templating. Why isn't it just "Search your library for three creature cards with different names and reveal them. Choose one at random and put that card in your hand. Shuffle the remaining cards into your library."

Why give the IF clause? So people can spend RG and a card to shuffle their library?

With your wording you could search for one and fail to find two more, turning it into a strict tutor.  Using Gifts Ungiven-style wording would work, but it'd be just as clunky.

Apparently it's to stop people searching and failing to find something (as per the gimpy tournament play with cards like Gifts Ungiven).
If they didn't have it worded the way they have, it would be a glorified Worldly Tutor.

This is hardly an issue if you have multiple creatures that serve similar purposes.
Like three different naturalizers

so your choices are thragtusk, wolfir silverheart or huntmaster of the fells.... your right this card is terribad....
Eladamri's call is not overpowered, but they're trying out Richard garfield's idea that magic is better when each game plays out differently (he designed make a wish)
Would this have been too powerful at :rgm:, I wonder?
Would this have been too powerful at :rgm:, I wonder?

ya probably, don't want decks to be able to splash one of the colors and get access to something like this too easily, its better this way so it remains strictly
This could make for some interesting decks.

3 cmc Borderland Ranger, Axebane Guardian, Somberwald Sage?

I'm curious to see if this is a thing.  I'll probably pick up a set ASAP unless this is hyped to hell and back.   
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Need to pick up some of these to screw around with in my Naya deck.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Never mind. Fetching creatures with the same abilities.
Triple Acidic Slime to deal with some things.

Might want to read the card again. Doing that would just shuffle your library for . ;)

Decks that want tutors need to find something specific while decks with lots of redundancy don't need tutors in the first place. The home for this deck feels like some standard pile of goodstuff that just plays every card-advantage creature they print, and even there it's the worst card in your deck.
Don't forget, this is Gruul. And an instant. You can use it to search your deck, find three creatures with Bloodrush, and put one into your hand to beef a creature on the battlefield- during the combat phase. Not quite so meh now, is it?
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Don't forget, this is Gruul. And an instant. You can use it to search your deck, find three creatures with Bloodrush, and put one into your hand to beef a creature on the battlefield- during the combat phase. Not quite so meh now, is it?

never seen a tutor act as a combat trick before.... that would be amusing to watch...
seems quite amazing.
Art is pretty awesome as well in my opinion.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."

No, so you can't use it to immitate Intuition. It then allows you the possibility that you may not have three different-named creature cards in your deck at the time of casting, although perhaps that's a presumption on my part.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

No, so you can't use it to immitate Intuition. It then allows you the possibility that you may not have three different-named creature cards in your deck at the time of casting, although perhaps that's a presumption on my part.

Yeah, a great part of Intuition is that the rest go into the graveyard which can be very relevant. 
Instant 2-drop cantrippy thing that always draws you a relevant creature? Sounds good to me.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
You guys are so ****ing jaded.

This is a 2 mana instant, and if it "fails" it's not like you don't get anything out of it. Plus if you're putting this in your deck, chances are you built it in a way where it doesn't matter which of the 3 you search for you end up getting. It isn't a powerhouse, but it's far from "bad".

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I don't like the lack of synergy with Domri Rade though. Domri likes decks with lots of creatures and this likes decks with lots of (different) creatures, but Domri doesn't like instants.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
This is one of those cards that is easy to underestimate. The Magic: The Theory scenarios tend to be too good or too horrid to do justice to what cards like these actually do in game. It grabs 3 redundant critters, and picks one of them. So if your deck has 3 creatures that are resistant to removal, have haste or various other similar functions these thins the deck out quickly without the drawback of having excess land without X spells like most ramp spells.  This is easily a bread and butter card, but not the meat, cheese and greens that make the sandwich whole, because it's your responsibility to supply those.

EDIT: It isn't significantly worse than Eladamri's Call, it implies a more specific type of deck. It's one of those circumstances where while the card might be worse on a technical, wording level- it isn't significant enough for difference in play, so much as a variant.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Well, if you the three creature are Huntmaster of the Fells, Thragtusk, or even Hellrider, you'll pretty much happy to get one of those at random.
Also works quite well with Burning-Tree Emissary 
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
This will see competitive play as long as Gruul colours are played, random a good drawback to stop it being insanely broken but I think that it is still crazy in the right hands.
I'd probably pick Olivia, Thragtusk, and Huntmaster too - choice of damnations for your opponent, a creature to swing with for your opponent. 

It's also an instant tutor...not very often they appear. Sure, the creature picked is random, but that never stopped Gifts Ungiven and so forth. 

DCI Judge Level 1

Very good flavor and awesome art. I like the effect as well, it feels unique, build-aroundish and exciting because it does different things every time. I suspect this will be played.
Sign In to post comments