[GTC-ICD] Dimir Charm

94 posts / 0 new
Last post

Dimir Charm (Uncommon) -
Instant
Choose one - Counter target sorcery spell; or destroy target creature with power 2 or less; or look at the top three cards of target player's library, then put one back and the rest into that player's graveyard.
"Dangerous to recognize. Deadly not to." - Lazav

Source: LSV's preview card on ChannelFireball
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Is it just me or is this awful?
Ponderous

not really sure what to think... its ok i guess?

Its just you

No you're right it's awful.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

first one: lol only dimir plays sorcery
second: 2 or less... kills High Priest I guess.
third: library control. Hi, non-repeatable JTMS. Not bad for 2 mana. 
I like it. It's not the best, but it's pretty cool.

Kinda sad that Verdict is uncounterable anyways. At least the first mode is pretty terrible. Mode 2 hits Silverblade... mana dorks... pretty bad too. Mode 3 is okay, works nice with Lasav.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Counter sorcery is situational. Destroy tech creature isn't bad. and the last ability is overall not good, unless your opponent is manipulating their deck. Maybe a little too situational for a charm
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project

All of these abilities seem similar to the three on Izzet Charm, and all of them seem weaker.  Don't like this one at all.
Counter sorcery is situational. Destroy tech creature isn't bad. and the last ability is overall not good, unless your opponent is manipulating their deck. Maybe a little too situational for a charm

maybe WoTC is hinting at Grixis?
First mode is too restrictive, second mode has some good targets and the third one is a better version of Thought Scour. Probably the worst Charm so far, but still decent.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

All 3 modes are situationally good. I expect this to see fringe play every format barring vintage, potentially a lot of play in a sorcery-heavy metagame.
I don't know, I kinda like it.  The first mode is largely irrelevant in Constructed, and in limited its situational.

The second is decent enough, and can be used against certain aggro decks.

The third is my favorite ability, and although it's hardly game-breaking I think has utility.  Used in the late game, you (hopefully) force them to top deck a land or an irrelevant card.  Not such a good card in the early game, though.  Unless you get 2-3 in your opening hand.  Mana screw them the entire game by getting rid of every land you come across.  Constructed playability, probably not but I can see its utility.  Seems like it would be a nice counter to Delver, but with Ponder gone it's a bit late for that methinks.
Anybody else notice it almost exactly mirrors Izzet Charm?.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Not at all what I was expecting.

Holds out hope for Orzhov Charm.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
I know people don't usually discuss it but this could be really amazing in Legacy. Mostly for the second ability. It takes out unflipped delver, early game 'goyf, bob, deathrite Shaman, and even more highly played creatures. The other two abilities could be useful in some situations. 

I guess in that same line it could be useful in Modern too. There are a lot of low power utility creatures that are played a lot and have big impacts when they get played. 
First mode is too restrictive, second mode has some good targets and the third one is a better version of Thought Scour. Probably the worst Charm so far, but still decent.

If by "better version" you mean one that doesn't give you a card back.
Yuck ... do not like.

3DH4LIF3

Not really.

The first ability is similar enough, but then again its a blue charm.  I wouldn't doubt if Simic bounces something, similar to Azorius charm.  There's only so much cheap effects that blue has that could fit, and countering is one of them.  That said, hardly identical even at that as they have very different effects.

The second ability may seem similar, but hardly is when you look at it.  The izzet charm is better for aggro, as its straight up damage.  This one is good for aggro, although can kill off any "wall"-ish creature.  They both deal with destruction, however in a very color oriented way (DD vs Hard Removal).

The third abilities are pretty much nothing alike.

So really, they are similar but not exactly the same in any sense of the word.

Not really.

The first ability is similar enough, but then again its a blue charm.  I wouldn't doubt if Simic bounces something, similar to Azorius charm.  There's only so much cheap effects that blue has that could fit, and countering is one of them.  That said, hardly identical even at that as they have very different effects.

The second ability may seem similar, but hardly is when you look at it.  The izzet charm is better for aggro, as its straight up damage.  This one is good for aggro, although can kill off any "wall"-ish creature.  They both deal with destruction, however in a very color oriented way (DD vs Hard Removal).

The third abilities are pretty much nothing alike.

So really, they are similar but not exactly the same in any sense of the word.

Mirrors. As in, opposite. The first one doesn't fit as well but the second and third are basically the opposite of Izzet Charms.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)

I was thinking about targeting yourself with it. You dig the same amount of cards, put the better on top and the other 2 (hopefully with Flashback) out of the way.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

yessss time to counter Farseek!

I was thinking about targeting yourself with it. You dig the same amount of cards, put the better on top and the other 2 (hopefully with Flashback) out of the way.

so its index... kind of... didn't see that you could target yourself with that ability, not bad
Guys, it counters Rakdos' Return. That seems pretty relevant for control.

Santa gave me a good charm. I can die happy  

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

And that is how you do it.

Anybody who plays it as Mill is frankly doing it wrong.  You either do it to yourself to set up your next draw or do it to your opponent to screw with theirs.  It's not a mill card in the least.

but so does negate... for the same CMC

Yeah, and negate's other two abilities are just as good also.

And Terminus, surprised no one mentioned that. Might be a good sideboard tech card, I dunno.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
I think people are missing this Card, the Important word is Target Player's library in the third mode. I see this as an end of turn dig to set up the draw of either Bonfire of the Damned in Grixis, or Entreat the Angels in Esper. this could replace ponder setting up the turn 3 or later flip of Delver of Secrets. and it's and counterspell and it removes early creatures.

I think you might of missed the obvious sarcasm.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

Negate can't kill ceratures or set up your draws.

I wasnt being sarcastic

Oh yeah, and that third ability sets up Lingering Souls.

LINGERING SOULS 

I wasnt being sarcastic

Really? Well I'm amazed you think it's playable then.

I think people are missing this Card, the Important word is Target Player's library in the third mode. I see this as an end of turn dig to set up thr draw of either Bonfire of the Damned in Grixis, or Entreat the Angels in Esper. this could replace ponder setting up the turn 3 or later flip of Delver of Secrets. and it's and counterspell and it removes early creatures.

I like how you think! Hadn't even thought of miracle.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).

I wasnt being sarcastic

Really? Well I'm amazed you think it's playable then.

Have you seen my avatar? These colors may be black/blue but you know my goggles are tinted red.

Oh yeah, and that third ability sets up Lingering Souls.

LINGERING SOULS 

The third ability sets up a lot of things.  If you work on a graveyard recursion deck, it can be a beast.

Even in standard, what with Flashback, Scavenge, Snapcaster Mage, Unburial Rites and Gravecrawler all being viable strategies to use it with.  Basically, fill your Graveyard and set up your next draw with the best card in the library for 2 mana.  Anybody who can't figure out how to use this is not being creative enough.
Also feel the need to mention it, easily my favorite charm art. It fits the Dimir perfectly.
And Terminus, surprised no one mentioned that. Might be a good sideboard tech card, I dunno.

hmm, terminus, supreme verdict, mutilate.... perhaps UB zombies will become more stable in the future, if you can just counter their turn 4 board wipes would make it better on UB zombies.
Sign In to post comments