[GTC-ICD] Boros Keyrune

48 posts / 0 new
Last post

Boros Keyrune (Uncommon) -
Artifact
: Add or to your mana pool.
: Boros Keyrune becomes a 1/1 red and white Soldier artifact creature with double strike until end of turn.

Source: Gatecrash card image gallery
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Nifty.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Meh compared to other keyrunes.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Expected. Figured it would be a 1/2 though.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
I don't like this as a 1/1, but it was expected. 2/1 was probably too good.

My thoughts exactly. 

This one is a bit underwhelming. 
a bit weak

<----- Loser.

would be funny with something like homicidal seclusion, all jokes aside its good with pump i guess

My thoughts exactly. 

This one is a bit underwhelming. 

Only in a vacuum.  And then you realize that one of Boros' cross-guild abilities is Bloodrush.  And then you realize the fun that can be had if you bloodrush it with the Swine (Effectively +10/+4 for the simple cost of 3 cmc?).  

I thin that's the major reason why its so underwhelming in appearance.  Mark my words, however, that this thing will be a Monster in limited play as you can easily couple it with Bloodrush.
The body on this is good.  Could be very nice in some sort of u/r/w deck running Runechanter's Pikes.
good if you have pump abilities. Not bad if you need to enable battalion. little underwhelming overall
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
This is good.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Would it have hurt to have made it a 1/2 like everyone predicted it would have been?
I am guesing they tried it at 1/2 but chaged it for some reason, probably Limited balance.
not bad at all, but yeah 1/2 would be much nicer.
I think this is quite the limited card. Mana in these colors is really nice plus we have bloodrush cards in red. Naya something in draft shouldn't be terrible with a light splash on white or green. 
I am guesing they tried it at 1/2 but chaged it for some reason, probably Limited balance.

I'm gonna guess it may have something to do with evolve.  Given that the only time The 1 point extra toughness actually matters is against a 1/2 creature itself, it would kinda hose Simic hard as they will likely have a bunch of 0/1s going into 1/2s and so forth meaning that with 2 toughness you could easily trade with a bunch of simic cards without risk.
And so the 'worse than RTR keyrunes' trend continues.

Seriously though, this seems just a little too weak for playability. Having to spend mana to turn it on means you have less mana left for the pump effects/tricks needed to make it do anything.

I'm gonna guess it may have something to do with evolve.  Given that the only time The 1 point extra toughness actually matters is against a 1/2 creature itself, it would kinda hose Simic hard as they will likely have a bunch of 0/1s going into 1/2s and so forth meaning that with 2 toughness you could easily trade with a bunch of simic cards without risk.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but keyrunes don't work with Evolve, as they practically never enter the battlefield.

Anyhow this seems about right at 1/1, but the art is kinda boring (much like Boros itself).

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but keyrunes don't work with Evolve, as they practically never enter the battlefield.

Anyhow this seems about right at 1/1, but the art is kinda boring (much like Boros itself).

He's not talking about the Keyrune enabling evolve, but the keyrune in combat vs. cheap evolve creatures (all the 0 power evolvers need to evolve twice before they can kill this at 2 toughness) which isn't all that relevant, I think.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)

You are right, but misunderstood what I was getting at. 

What I meant is that Simic seems to have a bunch of X/X+1s, and will likely have many in the 0/1 to 1/2 range.  This hoses simic particularly hard, as you can either block extremely efficient without threat of it being removed if it were 1/2 instead of 1/1.

Here's what I mean:

You attack with 1/2 Evolver, I activate keyrune and block.  I deal 1 first strike damage, plus 1 regular combat damage.  Your evolver is dead.  Meanwhile, my keyrune only takes 1 damage and lives.  Or the inverse is true, in that if I attack with the 1/2 into Simic's nest of 1/2s and the like, I can be relatively certain it will live, barring combat tricks, while Simic will lose. 

It basically creates a bad situation for a specific guild, in that you could be shut down an entire guild with one card and nothing else.  At the very least the other guild keyrunes can be traded with (Well, except Rakdos, but that's an entirely different story).

Another possibility is that they didn't even consider the 1/2 option and just want to go with symmetry, as the 1 point exra health doesn't add anything particularly interesting to the card. 

He's not talking about the Keyrune enabling evolve, but the keyrune in combat vs. cheap evolve creatures (all the 0 power evolvers need to evolve twice before they can kill this at 2 toughness) which isn't all that relevant, I think.

In hindsight, probably not.  If there was a balance reason, that may be one of them though. 

Rather, I'm sticking with the idea that the 1 extra toughness does little for the card, and symmetry is nice.
Cute. I wonder if Auras fall off when it ceases to be a creature again (I'm pretty sure they do, but if not this oddly has quite a bit of potential). Kind of makes me miss Honor of the Pure.... Just kidding xD But it is cool with any kind of buff effect in lieu of actual creatures. Perhaps we'll see a Naya Elf deck?
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Cute. I wonder if Auras fall off when it ceases to be a creature again (I'm pretty sure they do, but if not this oddly has quite a bit of potential)

They do *Auras with "Enchant creature," of course.  As will equipment.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
This sucks. Compare to Rakdos Keyrune. You lose two first strike damage for one normal damage, when that first strike damage is all that's keeping your mana rock alive.
This sucks. Compare to Rakdos Keyrune. You lose two first strike damage for one normal damage, when that first strike damage is all that's keeping your mana rock alive.

It hardly sucks.  This is being printed in the set with Bloodrush after all, which is at least in one of the same colors.  As I said early, rush the swine, and this thing might as well get +10/+4 for 3 mana and a card.

Doublestrikers are always less efficient than first strikers.  That said, I imagine this will do a ton more in limited play at least than rackdos, which was best used as a block threat.
Neat, though not as synergetic as the Gruul and Dimir Keyrunes.
This is good.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Seems way to weak to me.
Still better then Izzet Keyrune
IF that creature was monowhite, it would've been 1/2.

I can't help but to feel that it is solely 1/1 because 1/2 would fly in the face of any red feel to that card.

WW: 1/2 double strike
RR: 2/1 double strike 
RW: 1/1 double strike

White: ???
Red: You're welcome!
would be funny with something like homicidal seclusion, all jokes aside its good with pump i guess

I feel like all of the keyrunes are good with Homicidal Seclusion since the're creatures when you don't have any, but when you have one, they're not.

Sorry, I don't know how to do autocard... 
IF that creature was monowhite, it would've been 1/2.

I can't help but to feel that it is solely 1/1 because 1/2 would fly in the face of any red feel to that card.

WW: 1/2 double strike
RR: 2/1 double strike 
RW: 1/1 double strike

White: ???
Red: You're welcome!

Boros Swiftblade
Hmm, in tempered steel decks, this would be a 4/4 double-striker. 

I still don't get this, as although the Izzet Keyrune was weak compared to the others, it's hardly bad in the sense that people give it.  Frankly, the keyrunes are pretty much only useful for Limited play and casual circles.  And the fact is, Izzet keyrun is almost an auto-include if you're in those colors.  Its a decent card, just not as good as the rest.

That said, this one is probably going to be the most ridiculous keyrune in Draft/Sealed, particularly when coupled with bloodrush.  Get around sorcery speed removal, which can be relevant, and will only be subject to instant speed removal if you want it to be. 

That said, Bloodrush can be mono-red.  Which means you may not even have to splash for it.  Doubles the effectiveness of any of them, and you can be almost certain to have a pump spell in hand in sealed/draft. 

Frankly, this thing will have huge blow-outs, and will be first pickable in draft.
So it wasn't a 1/2 double striker. The guesses were still close. And thanks to the double strike, the Boros can knock out any other Keyrune except Selesnya. That one less toughness does make a difference, however, with Electrickery and Lobber Crew being available.

So it wasn't a 1/2 double striker. The guesses were still close. And thanks to the double strike, the Boros can knock out any other Keyrune except Selesnya. That one less toughness does make a difference, however, with Electrickery and Lobber Crew being available.

Lobber crew doesn't target creatures. 

Lobber Crew doesn't hit creatures though? 
Lobber crew doesn't target creatures. 

Lobber Crew doesn't hit creatures though? 

*Feeling embarassed*

Right you both are. So that's one less threat Boros Keyrune has to deal with. But my bro just reminded me of Izzet Staticaster, so that's still two accessible threats.

I still don't get this, as although the Izzet Keyrune was weak compared to the others, it's hardly bad in the sense that people give it.  Frankly, the keyrunes are pretty much only useful for Limited play and casual circles.  And the fact is, Izzet keyrun is almost an auto-include if you're in those colors.  Its a decent card, just not as good as the rest.

That said, this one is probably going to be the most ridiculous keyrune in Draft/Sealed, particularly when coupled with bloodrush.  Get around sorcery speed removal, which can be relevant, and will only be subject to instant speed removal if you want it to be. 

That said, Bloodrush can be mono-red.  Which means you may not even have to splash for it.  Doubles the effectiveness of any of them, and you can be almost certain to have a pump spell in hand in sealed/draft. 

Frankly, this thing will have huge blow-outs, and will be first pickable in draft.

Rakdos Keyrune is definitely constructed viable, as it handily deals with things that are X/<=3 in addition to fixing and ramping for you. I also see Dimir Keyrune being constructed viable for being able to consistently chip away when need be.  The reason why people dislike Izzet so much is because it can't really attack unless your opponent has nothing in play; nor can it block favourably against anything. Who's gonna with a creature that hs 0 power outside of maybe Blood Artist? So it's just an expensive mana rock compared to the other Keyrunes that can occasionally do something else for you.

I don't think this Keyrune will be used in constructed much, if at all, but it's definitely a viable threat in limited. I also agree with most that it should have been a 1/2 D:

Also, is anyone else having problems editing posts? Every time I try, I get lots of quotation marks and equal signs behind my words and my punctuation is removed. Weird.

A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).

Rakdos Keyrune is definitely constructed viable, as it handily deals with things X/<=3 in="" addition="" to="" fixing="" and="" ramping="" for="" you="" i="" see="" dimir="" keyrune="" also="" being="" constructed="" viable="" the="" reason="" why="" people="" dislike="" izzet="" so="" much="" is="" because="" it="" can' t="" really="" attack="" unless="" your="" opponent="" has="" nothing="" play="" block="" favourably="" against="" anything="" who="" s="" gonna="" with="" a="" creature="" that="" hs="" 0="" power="" outside="" of="" em="">maybe Blood Artist? So it's just an expensive mana rock compared to the other Keyrunes that can block and attack for you.

I don't think this Keyrune will be used in constructed much, if at all, but it's definitely a viable threat in limited.

Alright, granted on the Rakdos keyrune.  It has a niche role, and is constructed playable depending on the meta.  Granted, anyone who attacks into a Rakdos Keyrune with a Thragtusk probably isn't thinking to well, particularly if you haven't Cloudshifted or Restoration Angeled it multiple times.  So all this does is cause your opponent to durdle longer, which plays very well into the Strategy of Thragtusk.

As for Dimir Keyrune, I will agree it has potential, particularly if you are going Cipher vs. U/W control running Supreme Verdict.  Still, as Invisible stalker has shown us, being unblockable and an efficient one at that isn't really going to make you viable. So I'm not sure.  If there are good Cipher spells, perhaps U/B control could be a thing in standard.  However as a Damage dealer, its expensive, and as a ramper it's "meh".  So it really needs strong combat triggers to work well.

That said, there are then 4/5 from RTR that really don't have much of a place in standard, and are only good in Limited formats.  Selesnya keyrune is in a color which gets far better ramp for far cheaper, Golgari is in colors that really don't need the ramp currently, and the 2/2 deathtoucher is not necessarily what they want on the slow, Azorius is alright, however in a control deck you pretty much want to draw into answer and utility more than Mana sources/small creatures, and of course Izzet.

In RtR, we currently only have one Keyrune which *might* see play in Standard constructed.  Gruul will most certainly not, as once again it has more efficient ramp for cheaper *and* more efficient/effective creatures in those colors.

The boros Keyrune will be a monster in limited, as its on-color with Bloodrush.  That said, the fact that it won't see much constructed play isn't an issue, as the keyrunes in general don't (At least in standard:  IN casual, I can see all of them being used for the fun of it).
Sign In to post comments