I understand this is the wrong forum, however the expertise of Char OP might help

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm working on customizing a villain for my campaign.  Some of you may or may not have already played the module for Eberron called Seekers of the Ashen Crown.  One of the villains from that module is called Demise (or final demise in certain spots).  When my players went through that module Demise ended up not getting killed by the party and left the spotlight for a time.  We're now over 2 years later (in-game time) and she has continued to grow in power.  One of the things that I've added is that she has become a Lich.

Now the reason I am posting this here is because by learning character optimization you can often get very good insight into monster building.  I've already posted in the "What's a DM to do ?" forum and didn't get much feedback.  I figured that for the mechanical side of things, Char OP could be the best placed to help.  I know that many of you are DM's yourselves and might be able to offer very good advice.

Much thanks.

Demise, Lich Skullborn

Demise, Lich Skullborn
Level 11 Elite, medium fey humanoid (elf)
Controller (Leader)
XP 1600

HP 258; Bloodied 129            Initiative +10
AC 27; Fort 25; Reflex 24; Will 27              Perception +11
Speed 7                  Darkvision
Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 necrotic, 10 cold
Saving Throws +5; Action Points 2

TRAINED SKILLS:
Arcana +16; Bluff +15, History +16, Religion +16, Stealth +13

STR 9 (+4); DEX 13 (+6); WIS 14 (+7); CON 16 (+8); INT 22 (+11); CHA 20 (+10)

Allignment: EVIL                    Languages: Common, Draconic, Elven, Giant

TRAITS:

In the Presence of Demise - Aura 5 (Necrotic, Cold)
Any creature that enters or starts its turn in the aura takes 5 necrotic and cold damage.

Shadowdance Robes
Demise's area attacks and ranged attacks don't provoke opportunity attacks.

Wild Step
Demise ignores difficult terrain when she shifts.

Necrotic Mastery
Demise can change the damage type of any power she uses to Necrotic or add the Necrotic keyword to it.  Even powers that don't normally have an energy type.

Indestructible
When Demise is reduced to 0 hit points, she and possessions crumble into dust, but she is not truly destroyed.  She reappears in 1d10 days within 1 square of her phylactery.  Unless her phylactery is found and destroyed.

Demise's Will
Whenever Demise begins her turn with a effect, her sheer willpower allows her to reduce the condition to a lesser one.  Dominated -> Stunned -> Dazed -> Condition Ends.  Retrained -> Immobilized -> Slowed -> Condition Ends.  So IE:  Demise begins her turned stunned, she becomes instead dazed.

POWERS:

Standard Actions

Life Tap (necrotic, healing) - At-Will, MBA
Attack: +15 vs Fort; Demise gently syphons her victims life energy into herself.
Hit: 2d6 + 8 necrotic damage, and Demise regains 15 hitpoints.

Vampiric Beam (necrotic, healing) - At-Will, RBA
Attack: Ranged 10; +15 vs Fort; Demise raises her arm and a dark beam of energy lashes out at her victim, rejuvinating Demise.
Hit: 2d8 + 6 necrotic damage, and Demise regains 5 hit points.  If this attack bloodies a target, that target is weakened until the end of Demise's next turn.

Twin Beams - At-Will
Effect: Demise makes two Vampiric Beam attacks.

Zombie Cloud (poison, zone) - Encounter
Attack: Area burst 1 within 10; +15 vs Fort
Hit: 4d8 + 6 poison damage.  The burst creates a zone of lightly obscured squares.  A creature that enters the zone or starts its turn there takes 1d8 + 4 poison damage.  A living creature reduced to 0 hit points or fewer within the zone rises on its turn with 1 hit point and is dominated (no save), but can use only basic attacks.  Any healing used on a dominated target works normally and ends the dominated effect.  Demise can move the cloud 3 squares as a move action.  Sustain Minor: The zone persists.

Lich's Ire (cold) - Recharge 4,5,6
Attack: Area burst 2 within 10; +14 vs Reflex; Demise collects frost into an orb that she lobs at her foes.
Hit: 2d8 + 8 cold damage.  The target takes ongoing 5 cold damage and is immobilized (save ends both).   Miss: Half damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).

Second Wind (healing) - Encounter
Effect:  Demise spends a healing surge and regains 64 hit points.  She gains a +2 bonus to all defenses until the start of her next turn.

Move Actions

Ghostwalk - Encounter
Effect: Demise can shift up to her speed.  She becomes insubstantial and gains phasing until the end of her next turn.

Minor Actions

Frightful Gaze (fear, gaze) - At-Will
Attack:  Close blast 3; +13 vs Will
Hit:  The target is pushed 5 squares and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends).  First Failed Saving Throw: The target is dazed, immobilized, and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends all).

Hideous Laughter (fear, psychic) - Encounter, Recharges when Demise bloodies an or reduces an enemy to 0 hit points.
Attack: Close Blast 3; +13 vs Will
Hit: 1d8 + 4 psychic damage, and the target takes a -3 penalty to all defenses until the end of Demise's next turn.

Demise's Guile -  Recharge 5,6
Effect: Demise regains the use of an expended encounter power.

Deceptive Veil (illusion) - At-Will
Effect: Demise can disguise herself to appear as any Medium humanoid, usually a beautiful elf or eladrin.  A successful Insight check (opponsed by Demise's Bluff check) pierces the disguise.

Free Actions

Elven Accuracy -  Encounter
Effect: Demise can reroll an attack roll, taking the second result even if it's lower.

Now my main issue is balance, I'm trying to create something challenging for the party (which consists of a Ranger, Cleric, Barb, Wizard x2 and a Monk) but not something too over the top.  The PC's should be level 10 going to 11 by the end of this encounter.  What I've currently done is take a MM3 version of Demise as she was in the module, leveled her up to 11 and used the Lich template in the dungeon master's guide.  This gave her more hp, +2 AC, +4 Will, +4 Fort, +2 saves and a power to regain encounter powers that recharges (Demise's Guile).  I tried to keep as much of the original her as possible while adding things from other Lich monsters (from the book Open Grave).  I've boosted some of her powers to be more potent as well.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

EDIT:  Removed regeneration, added a trait to deal with daze and stunned conditions.  Changed the trait to be more about reduction instead of negation as suggested by the board.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Against 2 wizards is going to be rough.  Something like a condition reducer "Dominated -> Stunned -> Dazed -> Fine" would prevent total lockdown by a pair of wizards, while still not hosing them completely with "ignores dominated, lololol wizard" in the stat block.

What else will be fielded in this encounter?

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
As TMF suggested, I would give her a saving throw against conditions currently affecting her at the start of her turn.

Also, but that is purely practical, I would give her twice as many HP, and remove all or most of the regeneration stuff. That advice has little to do with this monster, but more with the in-combat bookkeeping you as a DM will have to do.

I would watch it with the fairly powerful combination of daze, immobilise, penalty to defenses, attack and different types of ongoing damage. This will be a fight you may have to fudge a little. 

Against 2 wizards is going to be rough.  Something like a condition reducer "Dominated -> Stunned -> Dazed -> Fine" would prevent total lockdown by a pair of wizards, while still not hosing them completely with "ignores dominated, lololol wizard" in the stat block.

What else will be fielded in this encounter?

Indeed, against two wizards (one going for more area effect damage dealing vs the other going for a more controller aspect) I'm in for a bit of a rough time.

Considering that the Lich Demise has been building up power for a solid 2 years in-game I can see quite a wide variety of things when it comes to what else will be on the field.  She also has the backing of a powerful secret police style organization of a nation (Aundair if you know Eberron).

I was thinking of using Skeletal Black Dragons, level 10 standard brutes for the front line.  Skull Lords for a leadery support, 1 - 2 of them maybe ?  Witherling Rabble could prove interesting for their high mobility and focus fire inclinations.  Any suggestions ? 
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

As TMF suggested, I would give her a saving throw against conditions currently affecting her at the start of her turn.

Also, but that is purely practical, I would give her twice as many HP, and remove all or most of the regeneration stuff. That advice has little to do with this monster, but more with the in-combat bookkeeping you as a DM will have to do.

I would watch it with the fairly powerful combination of daze, immobilise, penalty to defenses, attack and different types of ongoing damage. This will be a fight you may have to fudge a little. 

I could increase HP and remove the regeneration true.  It was originaly regeneration 10 and if she takes radiant damage it doesn't work as per usual undead regen.  I'll mull this one over TY.

She could get a +5 save bonus vs charm effects ?  that would give her +9 to saves against that sort of effect.  I've seen that on some Lich templates, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to go that way.  Any other ideas ?

Yes I admit it is a powerful combination of abilities.  But is it too powerful ?  That's the question I'm asking myself.  I should add that the PC's will be level 10 and heading to 11 by defeating this encounter.

I could see two ways to do this off the top of my head...

A)  3 fights with no short rests between (or 1 short before the final encounter).  First fight is her minions (not necessarily 1 HP Minions), 2nd fight is Minions with the Lich offering some support (environmental damage effects for PCs/healing for Team Monster, draining surges, slowing PCs, etc.), and the last fight being the Lich herself (as a solo instead of an elite).
This would give the wizards a chance to still drop some effective control and give the Lich the ability to shrug off or reduce some of the worst wizard effects and still be a credible threat as a solo.  Supporting her minions would also work well, and let you bring in all her resources to throw at the players.  Has a very thematic/movie feeling to it as well, and will let you tax party resources.

b)  A single large fight with the Lich and numerous creatures under her control.  Probably played out on a large grid map.
This would probably put more value on single target lockdown if the PCs could get to the Lich directly.  Easier to fudge if you start with only some of her forces out, just don't call in reinforcements if the PCs are having a rough time.  Will still tax party resources, but places larger emphasis on dailies/end of encounter effects.

From the looks of it, your party could be coming up short on healing, or things that allow healing surges.  Has it effected them much in play over the campaign?

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
the ranger has multiclassed warlord for a daily heal. The cleric is a pacifist build focused on not dealing damage and instead buffing / healing / debuffing.  The barbarian has a decent amount of temp hp generation.  The wizards dont provide anything in this aspect, neither does the monk.  So to answer your question, sometimes they do run out, mostly because of the known tendency of pacifist clerics to make combat last longer.  He can though bring a player from near 0 to near full with one healing word, so that counts for something I suppose hehe.

I like the idea of her adding support to her minions while teasing and lauging at the party from a place of safety.  Then the party would really want to murder her in the face ! ;)  The problem is that I don't want to make the encounter boring by having a solo monster fight.  I'd like to make it...  something more ?

I like the idea of her adding support to her minions while teasing and lauging at the party from a place of safety.  Then the party would really want to murder her in the face ! ;)  The problem is that I don't want to make the encounter boring by having a solo monster fight.  I'd like to make it...  something more ?

Consider adding a small number of non-minion creatures to the fight who have the ability to wipe effects from an ally (or allies). Something like the 2nd level Paladin power, "Touch of Grace," which transfers the saveable effect from the ally to the paladin. In your case, it should probably be some sort of undead "pet" that slurps the nasty effects from its master and then has a bonused method of saving against them, for example.

This will therefore add a pair of mobs the party can't ignore (as the wizard's won't be able to lock down the lich easily without the rest of the party handling the "wipers"). That should add some fun to your solo encounter.
Throw in a noncombat portion of the encounter that favors the wizards.  For example:

When they come across the lich again for the first time, perhaps she's about to raise some very nasty flesh golem giant.  The ritual has already been cast but as the magic is happening the wizards can take actions to reverse the ritual before the golem is completely awakened.  Using standard actions they can make arcana checks to try to reverse the magic.  Maybe they must move from rune to rune to deactive each one.  Put six runes in the room and they have 4-5 rounds.  Make the arcana check easy enough to do but time consuming.  Give others in the party something they can do as well (except the cleric since she's not a threat to the lich, perhaps the magic is shielded against divine interference).  It doesn't matter if they lock down the lich for a round or two if the strikers aren't striking   Maybe the barbarian can smash a rune on the floor as an athletics check instead of arcane (or by doing X amount of damage to it).
One thing I favor a lot is the ability to reduce the conditions without negating them completely. i.e. if Demise fails to make an attack action on her turn, she can get to do say an RBA. So she's not using her big powers, but a small one. You could give her an aura 2 or 3 as an example when she unwillingly doesn't get to attack on her turn until EoNT.

Another option is as mentioned, conditions reduce, but don't go away. Dominated becomes stunned, stunned becomes dazed. Restrained becomes immobilized, immobilized becomes slowed. Etc...this gives the Wizards a feeling of having had an effect without having them completely overwhelm her or being completely negated.
Personally...

Make all his abilities minor actions.

Fine -> 3 spells + reaction
Dazed -> 2 spells + reaction.
Stunned -> 1 spell, no reaction.

Have...
a single target daze,  turns to stun if already dazed.
a single target weakened, can only use at-wills if already weakend.
a single target life drain, double drain if weakened or dazed.
close burst then teleport.
rechargeable AoE immobilize (save ends), slow on a miss.
rechargeable insubstantial reaction.

Make dominated cloud part of the aura, bumping auto-damage to 10.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

thanks for all the input !  Solid stuff here, I'm about to leave for work but I'll be thinking it over.  A lot of people have suggested the same system to deal with conditions which is to have reduction instead of negation.  I like that and I think the players will find that more interesting.  I'll make changes to the OP accordingly when I get the chance.

One thing that I want to know though, is the to hit I have listed on the powers proper ?  Currently I have it set for +15 vs fort, +14 vs reflex and +13 vs will.  Is that correct for MM3 math at that level ? 

That is reasonable accuracy for your monster - make it level+5 vs AC, level+3 vs nads (at a minimum).

You probably wan't to increase the will attack though.

Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
ok so +15 vs fort +14 vs ref and +14 vs will ?

Sounds reasonable - you might want to up it to +15 across the board to for ease of maths and not checking every time which is which.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Sounds reasonable - you might want to up it to +15 across the board to for ease of maths and not checking every time which is which.

Thanks Fardiz

Yeah, a level 10 or 11 party, goin up against a level 10+ Solo.
No problem ; or if they're gonna beat it too easily, just add levels.

Lich's have 2 possible motivations toward the end of a fight.
The party ain't** finding the Lich's Phylactery, so the Lich can
always come back later.  But it might not want to, as in it has
some off-camera stuff it wants to do now, and not wait for the
phylactery to do its thing.  The Lich may want to retreat if things
don't go well for it.  Make a slightly higher level Lich, so it has
in-combat time to figure out what exactly it wants to do. 
"Run Away" is sometimes a option.  Lichs don't think they're
going to die today, or tomorrow.

** = Consult Oracle Div 16 ritual in PHB can find the phylactery.
A party member could have a Ritual Scroll via a 12th level item slot.

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

Interesting suggestions all.  There's still time before this encounter, so I can plan and change it according to what the party does.  And yeah, I'm leery of putting them up against the lich as just a solo boss encounter fight because of the sheer amount of control the party will probably have with just the 2 wizards.  Even just encounter powers could seriously hamper the solo to the point that they are basically just there to eat damage, I've done it myself.

For those reasons I've been thinking of creating one encounter where Demise would support her minions from a place of safety, then retreat once she saw the fight was turning in the favor of the PC's.  Then after making their way through the fortress where she would reside, they would face her.  However the challenge of the encounter would be to stop the ritual she started instead of just being a grinding combat.  Maybe add monster waves ?  How does that sound ?

edited the OP.

For some reason I'm having flashbacks to Lady Deathwhisper and Kel'Thuzad.  Which actually might not be a bad way to handle it; liches are supposed to be smart, so they probably wouldn't want to get their own hands dirty (or at least, they wouldn't want to get in a position where they might actually get hit by something) until they had no acceptable alternative.  So yeah, I'd say having the lich send in mooks first in an attempt to deplete resources would be a good way to go, thematically.
For some reason I'm having flashbacks to Lady Deathwhisper and Kel'Thuzad.  Which actually might not be a bad way to handle it; liches are supposed to be smart, so they probably wouldn't want to get their own hands dirty (or at least, they wouldn't want to get in a position where they might actually get hit by something) until they had no acceptable alternative.  So yeah, I'd say having the lich send in mooks first in an attempt to deplete resources would be a good way to go, thematically.

haha and besides, Demise has been experimenting with the populace for 2 years now.  Creating ever more powerful undead and constructs.  Might as well see how they perform !

Another option for solos is to give them multiple turns in a single round.  Something like the Two-Headed Troll, for example.  2 full sets of actions, with immediates refreshing between turns.  This will give your villain more of a "not a standard" threat feeling, and make the condition reducer far more useful.

I also notice she doesn't have any immediate actions...

Bargle wrote:

Zelink wrote:
Another option for solos is to give them multiple turns in a single round.  Something like the Two-Headed Troll, for example.  2 full sets of actions, with immediates refreshing between turns.  This will give your villain more of a "not a standard" threat feeling, and make the condition reducer far more useful.

Correct she does not have any immediates as of yet.  It's been recommended by many people now that she should have at least one.  Do you or anyone have a recommended immediate she could use ?  Maybe something that would fit with the current statblock ?

Correct she does not have any immediates as of yet.  It's been recommended by many people now that she should have at least one.  Do you or anyone have a recommended immediate she could use ?  Maybe something that would fit with the current statblock ?

Reaction: Insubstantial until EoNT.  (combined with the 2-headed approach).

It really cuts down on the multi-attackers / nova and let's other's play.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

lol dice roll !! 

Thanks for the suggestion, I know you mentioned it before.  I'll add it to the OP.  Should I remove the movement she has that makes her gain phasing and insubstantial if I add this reaction ?

lol dice roll !! 

Thanks for the suggestion, I know you mentioned it before.  I'll add it to the OP.  Should I remove the movement she has that makes her gain phasing and insubstantial if I add this reaction ?

Yes. Only use perma-insubstantial if you cut the hit points in half (perhaps 2/3's with a move action).

Insubstantial as a reaction will only really hurt multi-attacks and novas.  With the 2-headed approach it doesn't last as long either

Edit: I recommend the 2-headed over my previous suggestion.  It makes the battle more dynamic.

guides
Power
my builds

ok, I'll give it serious consideration.

Interesting suggestions all.  There's still time before this encounter, so I can plan and change it according to what the party does.  And yeah, I'm leery of putting them up against the lich as just a solo boss encounter fight because of the sheer amount of control the party will probably have with just the 2 wizards.  Even just encounter powers could seriously hamper the solo to the point that they are basically just there to eat damage, I've done it myself.

For those reasons I've been thinking of creating one encounter where Demise would support her minions from a place of safety, then retreat once she saw the fight was turning in the favor of the PC's.  Then after making their way through the fortress where she would reside, they would face her.  However the challenge of the encounter would be to stop the ritual she started instead of just being a grinding combat.  Maybe add monster waves ?  How does that sound ?

hmm ... The trying to complete a Ritual during Combat,
normally for PCs it's a flat interruption, stop ritual, try again later. 
For monsters - iirc - there's exactly this thing in Dungeon Delve.
There're some minions and a brazier and a gate for a Balor.
I forget the page #.  If you find it, the concept could be adapted.
I haven't picked up DunDelve in a long time (only 1 other goodie).

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to see if if I have dungeon delve lying around somewhere..  It might be interesting though to have the ritual be to summon some kind of other elite monster though, stop her or the fight gets really hard !

T is for Terrain and P is for Plenty. Give the party in intresting place to fight. Arcane traps, Mundane traps, hazards, difficult terrain, pools of water, floods, pits, columns that grant cover, piles of gold, chests full of loot, cages with victems, high ceilings, low ceilings, freezing fog, slick surfaces, brushfires, oil fires, and that rolling boulder thing from Indian Jones. Its is perfectly fine to have a skill challange go on during combat. 
T is for Terrain and P is for Plenty. Give the party in intresting place to fight. Arcane traps, Mundane traps, hazards, difficult terrain, pools of water, floods, pits, columns that grant cover, piles of gold, chests full of loot, cages with victems, high ceilings, low ceilings, freezing fog, slick surfaces, brushfires, oil fires, and that rolling boulder thing from Indian Jones. Its is perfectly fine to have a skill challange go on during combat. 

Heh yes, they will be fighting in THE stronghold of the secret military police of Aundair.  It also serves as the Palace for the royal family.  It'll be nice to look at, at least