New to GMing... what to expect

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have decided to learn the World of Darkness rules in order to GM a game for my group at some point (after I learn it of course). I will set my setting in the Charmed universe since that is my favorite thing and the thing I will be able to derive the most inspiration from to make a plot. The problem is... I never ran a game before and I'm not exactly sure where to start. I found a stupid rpg around on the internet that is basically a mod for The Buffy The Vampire Slayer rpg. I didn't want to buy it and the mod was totally wrong in powers and such so it just didn't go well. So, we decided World of Darkness. Is anyone familiar with that game? I would have posted in What's a DM To Do but its not Dungeons and Dragons so I didn't. If it should go there could a mod move it there for me?

Thanks!
I would love some feedback! 
IMAGE(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RockNrollBabe20/Charmed-supernatural-and-charmed_zps8bd4125f.jpg)
Ive found that preparing anything is just a waste of time, players never seem to want to go down the  path that youve laid out for them, so my best advice is to find out what the players want to do and then wing it from there, its worked great for me.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Have the beastiary handy. And stat every NPC for combat.

EVERY NPC.
Barkeep? Stats.
Smith? Stats.
Villian that is going to run instead of fight? Stats.
Random drunk? Better stat him.
Misc. background hooker? Players will fight. 
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

EVERY NPC.
Barkeep? Stats.
Smith? Stats.

Quoted for truthiness.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.

EVERY NPC.
Barkeep? Stats.
Smith? Stats.

Quoted a second time, for yet more assertations of truthiness.
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory
I can't wing it, lol. I mean I can like have options that would have if they chose this or that. Or path one leads to this happened, path 2 leads to this and path 3- whatever leads to this happening. Haha, I'm not confident in winging it at all yet. 
IMAGE(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RockNrollBabe20/Charmed-supernatural-and-charmed_zps8bd4125f.jpg)
Isn't D&D off-topic in here?

Then why in the hell are there posts and conversations about it?
These things are better served in the What would a DM do threads and such.

So please, NO MORE D&D THREADS IN HERE!

Because its about a different rpg game than D&D. If you read my first post then it stated that. I thought it would be off-topic there.
I have decided to learn the World of Darkness rules in order to GM a game for my group at some point (after I learn it of course)... I would have posted in What's a DM To Do but its not Dungeons and Dragons so I didn't. If it should go there could a mod move it there for me?

You are a bit too preemptive, TT.

{Additional note: Technically this would belong in the General Gaming forum under the General Gaming Discussion section. However you likely won't get a timely response as that section of the forums doesn't get much traffic.}
Isn't D&D off-topic in here?

Then why in the hell are there posts and conversations about it?
These things are better served in the What would a DM do threads and such.

So please, NO MORE D&D THREADS IN HERE!

Because its about a different rpg game than D&D. If you read my first post then it stated that. I thought it would be off-topic there.

Pretty much anything related to gaming is off topic here. You should feel lucky this thread hasn't because a thread about Spider-Man. 
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
I have decided to learn the World of Darkness rules in order to GM a game for my group at some point (after I learn it of course)... I would have posted in What's a DM To Do but its not Dungeons and Dragons so I didn't. If it should go there could a mod move it there for me?

You are a bit too preemptive, TT.

{Additional note: Technically this would belong in the General Gaming forum under the General Gaming Discussion section. However you likely won't get a timely response as that section of the forums doesn't get much traffic.}

Its the best thing that fits my plot of Charmed though. We did play once so I'm hoping it will work out. I also feel like it would be harder for me to run D&D and not really fit with what I want to do. 

Lol, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if that section was for other D&D related games....

Spiderman!
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Yes, very good. Carry on.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Parker's death in the main universe/Superior Spider-Man spoilers
Apparently he's already back in Superior Spider-Man #1, as some form of a ghost that's preventing Ock from killing.
At least that's what a scan I just saw on the hellboard indicates.
I can't wing it, lol. I mean I can like have options that would have if they chose this or that. Or path one leads to this happened, path 2 leads to this and path 3- whatever leads to this happening. Haha, I'm not confident in winging it at all yet. 

Players will not follow the path.

Ever. 
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

Players will not follow the path.

Ever. 

I guess path isn't the right word then. Basically I'd make it so that only 3-4 things can happen and determine beforehand what would happen depending on what they would choose and then the last option would be the option in which I didn't expect but it would still happen despite anything they choose. 

Its the only thing I can think of.  
You won't have all the bases covered. People never do.
MTG Card

Probably not, lol. It will be my first time GMing. I can't do what the others in my group do and just pull stuff from the top of my head- at least not yet. The only thing I have so far is the extensive knowledge of the universe I want my setting to be. I still have yet to figure out how make the party get from the under world to San Fran without giving them teleport at will....

Probably not, lol. It will be my first time GMing. I can do what the others in my group do and just pull stuff from the top of my head- at least not yet. The only thing I have so far is the extensive knowledge of the universe I want my setting to be. I still have yet to figure out how make the party get from the under world to San Fran without giving them teleport at will.... 

Who cares about your first time GMing? I want to see more of Spider-Squirrel!
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

Probably not, lol. It will be my first time GMing. I can do what the others in my group do and just pull stuff from the top of my head- at least not yet. The only thing I have so far is the extensive knowledge of the universe I want my setting to be. I still have yet to figure out how make the party get from the under world to San Fran without giving them teleport at will.... 

Who cares about your first time GMing? I want to see more of Spider-Squirrel!

....lol
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

That's what I'm talking about!
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Balance? Wheres the fun in that? its all about being vampires or werewolves or whatever and eating people and/or other vampires or werewolves or whatever, who needs balance?
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Oh hell yeah Mage was fun, Id almost forgotten about that one. But yeah youre right its not very balanced, neither is Rifts, or Darkurthe, and a gazillion others, but theyre fun damnit! and really thats what counts aint it?
Because its a new system everyone is being the same- mage. Orginally I wanted to use the Buffy rpg system with a Charmed module but they all thought that was stupid. The module got a whole bunch of things wrong anyway. We didn't have a whole ton of problems last time we played except for we had 3 werewolves and a mage which was difficult for the last GM to tie together. The fact that actual demons do not exist in this world is what makes it difficult but I suppose that if I look at changelings I can just make something up. Mages can be either good or evil so good mages will be the witches and bad mages will be warlocks. Bacially all the fluff that goes with it will completely changed to a more Charmed setting. The problem is coming up with somethinig that doesn't make the party have to be The Charmed Ones- that's what I'd like to play- not them. They'd rather be evil but in the series evil never wins..... haha. 

EVERY NPC.
Barkeep? Stats.
Smith? Stats.

... why not just have a small dossier of statted out NPCs that can be reflavored quickly and easily?  That way it's a one-time event (with possible updates as the heroes level up and you need more random NPCs of higher levels) rather then an exhaustive list for every possible NPC?

I have decided to learn the World of Darkness rules in order to GM a game for my group at some point (after I learn it of course).

Don't. White Wolf material makes 3.5 look like the height of foresight, balance, and proper, thought out, well-written design. Seriously, Exalted is the only WW system worth looking at, and that's only thanks to the brilliant innovations of John Chung.

Eh.  WoD is more story-based.  I'd argue that makes balance not as important in the long-run.  Not saying that balance is their games is good, but that it's not as important as a more combat focused game.

All this aside, why not go to the White Wolf message boards? 
Resident Over-Educated Ivory-Tower Elitist [You don't have the Need-to-Know for that, citizen]
I'll probably stat out every NPC simply because I'm new to everything. The first ones I'll need to focus on will be TCO since they are the story haha. I think I want to involve Cole but I'm unsure. 

I didn't go there because my questions were about GMing in general and not WoD focused. Had I specific questions about the game itself then I'd have gone there. I came here because I've already been posting it.  
If willing and available, KGM {KillerGM} might be able to assist you with your inquiries about GMing (I recall that she has run WoD games before).

Now about this spider-squirrel...
Because its a new system everyone is being the same- mage.

Which makes it even worse. Mage is unusable in its sheer, well, White Wolf-ness.

For example, how do you like the idea of shooting out 10 27 lethal dice Blasts a round and having a 12 in every stat without going anywhere near Paradox? Pathetically easy.
The fact that actual demons do not exist in this world is what makes it difficult

Uh, what? Have you, like, actually read the books?

I've never read the books. I didn't even know novels existed for it. I just know we played a campaign before and when I expressed an interest in running a Charmed game my group told me to learn the WoD dice pool game. I know monte cooks version has demons but in the other one they are called something different and seem less like Charmed demons.
Kill them!

Show

Squirrel Girl looks a lot like this chick I used to ... uhh ...  Anyhoo, it's not her.  She didn't dress up as Squirrel Girl.  See, Roller Girl was more her style ... er, in more ways than one.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

If willing and available, KGM {KillerGM} might be able to assist you with your inquiries about GMing (I recall that she has run WoD games before).

Now about this spider-squirrel...

Thanks I might contact her then once I've started reading WoD material. Right now my questions were more general than specific to WoD material. I'm hoping people on the Charmed board replies to my question about how to deal with the fact TCO always wins. Which if their opposition is supposed to win (as per Charmed Universe) then how do you make a fun game? I don't want to have some story where they are TCO and make them all feel.... not manly. xD
I've never read the books. I didn't even know novels existed for it. I just know we played a campaign before and when I expressed an interest in running a Charmed game my group told me to learn the WoD dice pool game. I know monte cooks version has demons but in the other one they are called something different and seem less like Charmed demons.

Who's talking about novels? I am talking about the very basic rules of the game. 

Or, basically, don't do WoD. Or really any WW at all until you know what you're doing.

Well, I'm not going to until I read stuff and learn the rules. It will be awhile before a game is actually in session. 

Which makes it even worse. Mage is unusable in its sheer, well, White Wolf-ness.

For example, how do you like the idea of shooting out 10 27 lethal dice Blasts a round and having a 12 in every stat without going anywhere near Paradox? Pathetically easy.
The fact that actual demons do not exist in this world is what makes it difficult

Monte Cook's version is pretty cool. It's based off of 3.5.

Monte Cook's version is pretty cool. It's based off of 3.5.

We all agreed to play the dice pool one. They just wanted me to run because I never have before, lol. 
Sign In to post comments