Looking for someone with serious WPN experience.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been organizing Magic at our local shop for just voer a year now and brought them from knowing nothing about sanctioned Magic to level Advanced. Our Return to Ravnica PR brought us over the top with 38 people attending. But now our local shop has announced they will be closing down. Has all my hard work gone for nothing? Our community is small and the town has about 10,000 people so this is the only shop for us to play at.

How could I continue the FNMs, Game Days, PRs on my own?

This might be a question over many people's head but maybe some WotC employees could fill me in. 
I don't know about if you could keep the "advanced" level designator, however, if you have a community center or a bookstore that you could use then you could organize tournaments there. It's been a long time since I organized a tournament last but there is usually someone you contact to set up a "new location" and you have to fill out the questionaire.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Ask the shop who their WPN contact is and then contact that person yourself and see what your options are. If they are unable or unwilling to provide the contact info, contact Customer Service and they should be able to put you through to the correct contact. Also, @HeleneBergeot or @ScottLarabee on twitter may be able to help you.

I know a few years ago there was a change that limited core-level events (like pre-releases) to retailers that sell Magic, so there may still be issues with keeping all your events. Ancedote: this was a problem for the pre-releases I attended at the time, as they were organized by a local university's Magic club. After some jostling and a lot of uncertainty, they managed to keep their WPN level and still host events (I think they got the university bookstore to carry some Magic boosters and be the "front" for the events). I don't know what the current situation is as far as this goes with WPN and retailer restrictions.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Ask the shop who their WPN contact is and then contact that person yourself and see what your options are. If they are unable or unwilling to provide the contact info, contact Customer Service and they should be able to put you through to the correct contact. Also, @HeleneBergeot or @ScottLarabee on twitter may be able to help you.

I know a few years ago there was a change that limited core-level events (like pre-releases) to retailers that sell Magic, so there may still be issues with keeping all your events. Ancedote: this was a problem for the pre-releases I attended at the time, as they were organized by a local university's Magic club. After some jostling and a lot of uncertainty, they managed to keep their WPN level and still host events (I think they got the university bookstore to carry some Magic boosters and be the "front" for the events). I don't know what the current situation is as far as this goes with WPN and retailer restrictions.

Find a few people addicted to pre-ordering cases of new sets, hook them up with the retailer discount, use them as your front, everyone wins? Wait, what? 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.