Anyone else have this happen in Commander/EDH games?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
It seems there are alot of bad players that play Commander online. Players make horrible plays lately in seemingly ever game I have played online in the past few weeks. I attack player A when they are tapped out with enough damage to kill them and remove them from the game and player B casts Fog or another card like it to save player A, thus keeping that player in the game and more often than not that player ends up winning because of that play. Ive also attacked player A w/ my commander for the 1st time and player b or c casts Condemn on my commander, which I am fine with them doing so, but why not wait for me to attack that player, or at least wait until after damage is dealt. I really have a hard time understanding these stellar plays and also the mentality behind it. Alot of those players respond by saying "politics", which is utterly rediculous. More often than not the person I was attacking or trying to eliminate is the major threat at the table, yet these other players dont seem to realize it.

I dont have an ego and obv dont expect to win every game, but its getting to the point where its not even worth playing commander/edh anymore because of these horrible players completely handing the game over to another player. Sometimes it seems the players making these bad plays arent even trying to win themselves... Idk has anyone else been noticing people doing completely rediculous plays?
Another annoying thing people are doing online lately in Commander/EDH games is disconnecting or conceding when I play a spell like Memory Plunder targeting a card in their graveyard even tho it is something that I will obv be using against another player, thus negating the spell I just played. Or If you are the player with board state at that moment, they might play Wrath of God or another board wipe ability like Oblivion Stone, then once it resolves they concede the game, even when there are still 1 or 2 other players in the game yet. Which ends up costing me the win and allows one of the other players(not the one that conceded) to win the game or take control. Its one thing if the player that cast the spell or used the ability was still in that game and tryinhg to win, but to just do it to cost whoever is winning the game and has been playing from the beginning to win the game to lose, its just really pathetic.

People also disconnect or concede before your combat damage is dealt after you attack them, negating some creature effects or abilities...

I only play EDH in person so I can't speak to what happens online. There is one guy I know who will sometimes when he knows he is going to take lethal from a guy concede before attack phase so that the other person doesn't have to use resources to kill him and can instead focus on other players. He also sometimes has a tendency to wait until after I use a lot of resources trying to take him out and then concede so I wasted a turn/all that work for nothing. It really pisses me off so I usually try to do everything in my power in the game (without doing stuff like the previously mentioned stuff) to basically lock him out of the game and make him ragequit. I've told him why I do it and he still does that stuff anyways so I don't feel bad about it.
Just happened again in the game I am playing right now. He condemned my general before damage was dealt to a different player and repsonded with "politics"...

And on top of that I just reported him for a very disturbing and uncalled for comment he just made to me... I cant believe what was just said to me. Im very offended and really upset...  
Sometimes people join online games with their friends and try to help each other out.
Sounds like its a good thing I only play in person.

<----- Loser.

I'm convince that i will never play online.

3DH4LIF3

I'm bad at politics, perhaps it's because I don't play that often (the last time I played politics was casting Relic Crush on a guy's Venser's Journal and some other important artifact he had, which triggered a counter-war between the other 3 players, was quite hilarious from my point of view).

Then again, online isn't really casual, which I don't care for so much. But it would suck to be in the situations you're in.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
I've never had even the slightest interest in playing online, and this kind of story just cements that feeling.  There are many among us who feel that the anonymity of the internet gives license to say or act like complete jerks.  I enjoy the social interaction of my playgroup too, and there's no way that an online experience can replicate that. 

I do feel for you, though.  I've never tried, but do you have a Friends list or something that would let you play with people you know?

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

I tried doing some testing online in cockatrice recently...  I would rather play in person.  Not that the person I was playing with was doing anything wrong, or mean (he wasn't), I would rather play in person.

Most games are better had in person, I feel, unless that game is an online only game, like Path of Exile or some such.  
I'd say commander online runs into the same problem that multiplayer commander tournaments run into. Collusion!
Or any multiplayer game of magic.  Just happens.
I'm the guy playing Fog, but it's not may fault. It's an Oath of Druids deck.
I'd never be caught dead playing online though. You can't see the anguish on their faces that way.
Sounds like I'd have too much fun pissing off Anti_Body, you can't be so uptight playing this game.

Sounds like I'd have too much fun pissing off Anti_Body, you can't be so uptight playing this game.

This.

OP's tone comes across as arrogant, holier than thou and self satisfied. If online opponents smell that it's not surprising they play the way described. 
"I don't care if I loose as long as that guy doesn't win" is a pretty standard response to the uppity jerk at the table.

tl;dr: mirror 

Its not about playin the card in your deck, its how you play it. Obv you didnt understand my point. 

Just wasted an hour and half today on a game becuase some guy(player A) decided that since he wasnt going to win that he would concede(He had a Static Orb in play) which was hindering the other 3 players besides me, all my lands were untapped, because I had drawn 5 straight lands and had nothing on the battlefield... I had "board state" according to him... So announced "My only play is to concede so that Player B and Player C could come back against me, seein how the Orb would no longer be in play. So he quit so that player B could win instead. I had Cabal Coffers, an Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, and maybe 8 or 9 lands total, with only 1 card in hand, which was Lake of the Dead. Oh and my commander and player C's commander were both put on the bottom of our libraries by that white miracle card played by Player A probably about an hour prior to that. Player B had 17 cards in hand with a Reliquary Tower in play along with 2x Staff of Nin and like 10 other lands total. He was playing a 5 color control deck and at one point had Seedborn Muse with a Capsize in hand and the 2 Staff of Nins in play...

That's the bullcrap I am talking about. People conceding just to give the "losing" players a chance after the player that conceded had been the one playing the cards that were hindering all the players... 
I guess im going to have to start playing against people online that I know. My blocked list online grows with every single Commander game I play. It has at least doubled within the last 3 months or so since I started playing Commander alot more than I had prior to that. My deck is atcually more casual than probably 75% of the decks I have played against and yet these horrible players are making the format less and less fun to play by pulling senseless stunts like these. It beyond rediculous at this point and probably going to make me quit playing Commander online...

OP's tone comes across as arrogant, holier than thou and self satisfied. If online opponents smell that it's not surprising they play the way described. 
"I don't care if I loose as long as that guy doesn't win" is a pretty standard response to the uppity jerk at the table.

Seriously?...

Now please do not take offense to this...

But I wouldn't say you come off as holier than thou. But you do come off a bit whiny. That being said I completely agree with the points you are presenting. Just not the way you're presenting them.

I too suffer from these bad plays. For a long while in our group we had an "unwritten" rule that we always focused on players that had the biggest impact on current gamestate. But when I started playing my newest incarnation of Edric, it's since changed and I will get focused on a decent amount no matter what just because I can turn a game around and win in several turns if my draws are good.

This.

tl;dr: mirror 

Not only does the bolded sentence barely count as English, but the coherent part of your statement is way off, too.  The OP has legitimate complaints and has put them forth thoughtfully.  Online players being jerks is hardly a surprise, and I doubt the OP did anything to truly earn that kind of idiocy.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

The tone of this thread should be in no way indicative of what its like playing with anti_body. The thread is intended to be a place where gripes are vented.

I mean, don't stick your nose up a guys backside to see if he stinks.

I completely empathize. It is a horrible experience playing with a load of people out there.

3DH4LIF3

Player A saving player B from an attack by OP's commander is not a bad play. The result is identical to waiting for Player A to get attacked himself with the added bonus of a potential alliance.

Casting Fog to save another player from death is not a bad play if you think you need that player's help to take out someone else at the table.

Making a play that helps the strongest player at the table makes sense if you hope to focus his ire elsewhere until you can get your own plan going.  

RxP: I missed a coma after "that"

It seems to me that the players are bad and their plays are horrible because the OP ended up on the wrong end of the result? The other people in the games probably thought they were just fine. This type of thing is expected, even supposed to happen in MP games. Sometimes the politics go against you and sometimes they go your way. If people seem to be working together against you on regular basis there could be a few reasons for it. a) People don't like you, for whatever reason. b) You are loosing the political game because you don't make political plays, because you think they are bad.

Hrmm...
Player A saving player B from an attack by OP's commander is not a bad play. The result is identical to waiting for Player A to get attacked himself with the added bonus of a potential alliance.

Casting Fog to save another player from death is not a bad play if you think you need that player's help to take out someone else at the table.

Making a play that helps the strongest player at the table makes sense if you hope to focus his ire elsewhere until you can get your own plan going.  

RxP: I missed a coma after "that"

It seems to me that the players are bad and their plays are horrible because the OP ended up on the wrong end of the result? The other people in the games probably thought they were just fine. This type of thing is expected, even supposed to happen in MP games. Sometimes the politics go against you and sometimes they go your way. If people seem to be working together against you on regular basis there could be a few reasons for it. a) People don't like you, for whatever reason. b) You are loosing the political game because you don't make political plays, because you think they are bad.

Hrmm...

I couldn't help but chuckle... coma vs comma.

But you're right, or can be. Its hard for us to determine what was and wasn't a good play. The condemning of a commander mentioned in the OP... I totally would have waited until after damage was dealt, in most cases. But if it was actually a good play (never mind the techy-ness of waiting for after damage) we cannot determine. 

I think its likely we're looking at a two-sided tale. In real life its much easier for us to look back at the seemingly boneheaded plays our friends make and have them explain their thinking- sometimes it was fine, other times they are boneheads. Online you rarely have the luxury of asking why an opponent does what he/she does and then get an answer. 

3DH4LIF3

Just wasted an hour and half today on a game becuase some guy...

This statement confirmed what I suspected. You're bringing the wrong attitude to the table, bud. You're supposed to enjoy the act of playing out the game, and sometimes you'll get the bonus of winning. Saying the time spent playing was 'wasted' because you were robbed of your victory tells me that your enjoyment comes from the result, not the process.

Maybe find a more competitive format, or learn to adopt a more relaxed accepting attitude....but as things stand now I can't really see you enjoying this format.
Just wasted an hour and half today on a game becuase some guy...

This statement confirmed what I suspected. You're bringing the wrong attitude to the table, bud. You're supposed to enjoy the act of playing out the game, and sometimes you'll get the bonus of winning. Saying the time spent playing was 'wasted' because you were robbed of your victory tells me that your enjoyment comes from the result, not the process. Maybe find a more competitive format, or learn to adopt a more relaxed accepting attitude....but as things stand now I can't really see you enjoying this format.

Here here! Death or glory! S'all good in the end. ^^