Dragon issue archive question

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been downloading the Dungeon magazines and the Dragon magazines to my I-pad bookstore.  Up until about issue 186 or so, I was able to download the whole issue, after that, it looks like you can only download articles and not whole issues.  Am I wrong?
Compiled issues are sometimes either missed or outdated.  That being said I vaguely remember something about not making compiled issues after a certain point.  I haven't started my "Download all issues in prep for 5e nuke to my DDI sub" yet.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Compiled issues are sometimes either missed or outdated.  That being said I vaguely remember something about not making compiled issues after a certain point.  I haven't started my "Download all issues in prep for 5e nuke to my DDI sub" yet.

Ha!  How do you read minds like that?
I earned the ability at 1500 posts.

At 2000 I get a puppy. 
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
They stopped compiling Dragon and Dungeon for around a year and a half because

Nobody liked it.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Nobody liked it.

Nobody liked being able to download the whole issue at once?

It would sure be easier to get it all now. 

thespacedinvader did not present an accurate explanation. What happened was more along the lines of...

Then:
WotC: We notice that way more people download individual articles than download the compiled issue. Folks must not like downloading the compiled issue, so let's stop doing that.

Now:
WotC: People keep asking us for the compiled issue. They must not like reading articles a little at a time, so we should stop letting them see things a bit at a time and only offer the compiled issue.

Personally, I believe this is directly related to the same Washington State logic that allows for passing a law that legalizing the possession of marijuana but keeps it illegal to buy or sell it. WotC has not really thought through any 4e-affecting decision with any visible evidence of widom or logic. Granted, Dragon and Dungeon are not 4e-specific, but this ridiculous all-or-nothing mentality they have expressed happened during Mearls' watch.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

Nobody liked it.

Nobody liked them stopping.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
There was also that one really awkward case where I had to write in and poke at them to fix their compiled issue when they copy-pasted a feat I needed to work into not working.  That was fun...  Way more fun than not having the issue though.
Show