Right Now... a player is trying to calm down a Large Gelatinous Cube.... what should I do?!

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is just happening, and we can't belive it... I mean, I don't know what to do with this...

They found one of the many Cubes I left in a cave so when they tried to pass trough a narrow corridor, they would be engulfed... however since it's listed as a "Large Natural Beast", the Compendium says Nature can be used to calm down Natural Beasts...

What am I supposed to do? Make like if the cube was a dog and it just walks away? 
"The cube calmly eats you."
"The cube calmly eats you."

I would like to say it's a troll topid... but sadly it's a situation I don't know how to deal with...

If I say "No" they might feel a llitle restrained, if I say Yes... I might have to make a reserve for Gelatinous Cubes or something ¬¬ Really... this is so....  
Double check that creature type.  I beleive that would be ooze or abberation.
Double check that creature type.  I beleive that would be ooze or abberation.

It's a "Large Natural Beast (ooze, blinded)"

However compendium says "to calm a Natural Beast", dunno if it fits hat category 
Absolutely say yes to this, and then enlist the players to help you decide what that means for the overall game.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Absolutely say yes to this, and then enlist the players to help you decide what that means for the overall game.

You can say yes to it, but it doesn't mean it has to work. Perhaps calming it causes a more unpexpected reaction.

Ok, the only thing they want is avoid them since they find boring reducing them to 0 HP...

Plus one of them is a FAN of the monster and wants one -.- I would allow it, but only for interpretative purposes... maybe ;/

It's by far the most unexpected thing I've ran into, and I bet they would now try to calm EVERY beast with the Natural keyword 
Less glibly ...

He has to roll a Hard DC of the monster's level.  That's the first obstacle.
Second, DMs can always adjust the DCs; a -2/+2 for various circumstances comes into play.  The intial attitude of the beast, if it's hurt or hungry or already angered, etc.
Thirdly, the roll automatically fails if the PCs are fighting the monster.  It could be argued that something like a Gelatinous Cube, which sees any organic matter as food and has nothing more than the instinct to eat, automatically declares its intent to fight upon sensing organic material.
Fourthly, note that your players (in general) do not like fighting G.Cubes, and make a note to not use them again.
the cube has an intelligence of 3.  It's only goal is to eat.  If he tries to calm it, maybe it'll just calmly eat him :p  But honeslty if the player is doing something cool, let it go and let it happen.  It's more fun that way.  Maybe then they can direct the cube to go eat the other creatures in the cave !
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Capturing a cube as a pet could be interesting. Witches can actually have a mini one as a familiar/pet in 4e.

You could definitely have them explore more options involving it, and have surprising events form the attempt for it being calmed. I personally would say simply calming it wouldn't work but it's your game.
Capturing a cube as a pet could be interesting. Witches can actually have a mini one as a familiar/pet in 4e.

You could definitely have them explore more options involving it, and have surprising events form the attempt for it being calmed. I personally would say simply calming it wouldn't work but it's your game.

One of the other PCs in a game I play in has a mini GC in a cage.  They use it like a Rhoomba.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

One of the other PCs in a game I play in has a mini GC in a cage.  They use it like a Rhoomba.

"When he tells you to lift his feet 'cause he's vacuuming, you better freakin' do it."
If it was me I would ask for some massive RP even if by some miracle he suceeded upon the test.

If he succeds on the test and the RP  is convincing I would allow, specially because there are rules to back it up.

I find interesting  to make the players think as the characters, not acting only upon some rule or dice roll. That way the possibilities are limitless.

Ok, the only thing they want is avoid them since they find boring reducing them to 0 HP...

Man, who wouldn't? You might look into ways to make encounters with monsters more than just reducing both sides to 0 HP.

Plus one of them is a FAN of the monster and wants one -.- I would allow it, but only for interpretative purposes... maybe ;/

Definitely allow it, if at all possible.

It's by far the most unexpected thing I've ran into, and I bet they would now try to calm EVERY beast with the Natural keyword 

If they do, it's because that's what they prefer. If you want to do something else, find out what else they might like, or why they don't like what you like and try to come to an understanding. In the meantime, do your best to say "Yes, and" to any unusual things the players want to do, and when you're not sure how to, ask for their ideas.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

When trying to pacify mindless monsters, I'd draw on what zombie movies taught us. They will always give in to their most basic need, which is to feed. But if you properly disarm and cage them, they can be kept. Just don't expect any love, loyalty or tenderness ^__^
Tiny Gelatinous Cube

This palm-sized ooze tickles you with its weak acid.

Speed 2Constant Benefits* You gain resist 5 acid. If you already have resist acid, increase the resistance by 2.Active BenefitsCleaning: The familiar consumes nonliving organic objects that it touches at a rate of 1 pound of material per round.
Transparent: The familiar is invisible.

You could also make it large and give him a saddle for it.

Familiar Mount
Your familiar grows large enough to carry you to your destination.

Component Cost: 25 gp
Market Price: 175 gp
Key Skill: Arcana (no check)
Level: 4
Category: Exploration
Time: 5 minutes
Duration: 12 hours

Your familiar grows to Large size and can accommodate you as a rider, and it is in active mode for the duration. You can end the ritual by returning the familiar to passive mode with a minor action. If the familiar takes damage equal to 5 + one-half your level or more, it returns to its normal size and to passive mode.

Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I would say let him do it EXCEPT he doesn't have a way to communicate with it effectivly, giving him such a high penalty to the check, it automatically fails. If he used a ritual, power, or item, that lets him communicate with it, or "speak" it's language, then absolutly yes.
I donno what your players been smoking.  Calming a beast not = getting cooperation from one.  Maybe = don't attack me on sight.   

Hungry dire bear in a cave...  Here bear bear...Oh you so cute... I am not gonna hurt you... you so wonderful!  Let me scratch your neck.  Come here...

Seriously...unless a miracle happens (Nat 20 roll), who would let this succeed without a good ole bear mauling on the fool?

In the other hand... player dangles some beef on a rope, lures the bear out of the cave, and while its busy eating it, sneaks past the bear through the cave... Or builds a fire to force move the bear away...now that deserves a serious attention.

Bear = cube.  Probably hungary waiting for a meal to come by sitting in that tunnel.. 
Well, here's what we did at our table...

Characters had a battle with drow in Underdark, down to the last deathjump spider.  Instead of killing it, the kenku thief wanted to capture it and train it.  Only he wasn't trained in dungeoneering or nature.  But he wanted the spider, so...

I said, ok... you have it captured... now what?  He paid the two members of the party who were trained in nature to "break" it for him.  One trained, the other assisted.  They never failed a check.  I drew up a sheet for him to keep track of their progress, something like...

"Training your spider:  Before you can mount and attack with your spider, it must be trained to obey your commands.  After every short rest, you may attempt to train the spider with the medium DC Nature check.  After each success, roll a D6 to see if the spider will allow you to ride him and obey your commands.  On a failed roll, the spider will try to bite you."

With that, I had a series of four boxes for the player to check off after each training session. After each check, the rolls got easier, expressing that the spider was warming up to them. 

___  Roll D6- success on 5 or 6
___  Roll D6-  success on 3,4,5,6
___  Roll D6- success on 2,3,4,5,6
___  Your spider is trained to do your bidding.  

So...  Players rolled med nature check after each short rest.  Success... Kenku rolled D6 to see if he could use the spider for that time frame.  Graduated scale made those checks easier and easier.      

After that, I used the animal companion rules and he could share his action with the spider if he wanted.  The party members were making fun of having the spider tag along at first, but it ended up being a valuable tool for when they needed to climb somewhere.  It became a RP element that saved their lives in a few instances.  And yes, I know that a medium deathjump spider shouldn't be able mechanically to be mounted by another med creature but, hey...      

@YoungOnce, I like what you did there.
I would say let him do it EXCEPT he doesn't have a way to communicate with it effectivly, giving him such a high penalty to the check, it automatically fails.

Offering a roll when there's absolutely no chance of success is the cheapest of DMing tricks and is a waste of player trust. If the answer is no, then stand up for it and say no. At least that's honest. But to enhance player trust, say yes, and then enlist the players to help figure out a way to make it work in the game, without ruining the game.

I would say let him do it EXCEPT he doesn't have a way to communicate with it effectivly, giving him such a high penalty to the check, it automatically fails.

Offering a roll when there's absolutely no chance of success is the cheapest of DMing tricks and is a waste of player trust. If the answer is no, then stand up for it and say no. At least that's honest. But to enhance player trust, say yes, and then enlist the players to help figure out a way to make it work in the game, without ruining the game.

In an old 2nd edition game I had the PCs attacked by a swarm of gibberlings, wolf-like humanoids whose cackling could drive you mad. During the fray and the group's attempt to flee, one of the gibberlings latched on to the group's war priest, a bear of a man in chainmail. When the group stopped to rest, they realized the gibberling was still hanging on. The player was all "Aww, I'm going to keep him as a pet." I said "He bites you." They player: "I smash him! Awww, I was gonna keep him as a pet ..."

No dice rolls, no arguments, just playing.
since it's listed as a "Large Natural Beast", the Compendium says Nature can be used to calm down Natural Beasts...

What am I supposed to do? Make like if the cube was a dog and it just walks away? 

That sounds good. Maybe they satiate the cube by throwing rations (or dead creatures) into it. This sort of activity is exactly why I play roleplaying games.

That doesn't mean that the cube won't get hungry later though (and it'll be unlikely to have much memory of someone that was nice to it).
If you want examples of Gelatinous Cubes as part of an adventuring party, just watch some old Herculoids cartoons. Gleep and Gloop were awesome.
since it's listed as a "Large Natural Beast", the Compendium says Nature can be used to calm down Natural Beasts...

That sounds good. Maybe they satiate the cube by throwing rations (or dead creatures) into it. This sort of activity is exactly why I play roleplaying games.

That doesn't mean that the cube won't get hungry later though (and it'll be unlikely to have much memory of someone that was nice to it).

It's like feeding an alligator... works for a while... then one day, poor Fido comes up missing.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
@YoungOnce, I like what you did there.

Thanks Rednblack.
If you want examples of Gelatinous Cubes as part of an adventuring party, just watch some old Herculoids cartoons. Gleep and Gloop were awesome.

Or Rusty and Co., if it ever recovers from its IntProp problems D:
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Which POs me. I mean, The Rust Monster is Open Game Content, and was itself based on a cheap plastic toy and Brawl in the Family was able to do something similar to what he was trying, so why should they pick on him? It's just another case of corporate bullying.
The player calm the Large Gelatinous Cube and turn it into a mount. There even a special saddle where you can ride on it without getting acid on you. 

Everybody wins! Soon they will worship your name and call you the greatest DM for letting them getting an awesome mount.

Another possibility is that the PC in question figures out a way to trick the Cube into believing that he and his companions are, in fact, not edible or desirable as food. That would return the Cube to a more docile state.

I'm on a journey of enlightenment, learning and self-improvement. A journey towards mastery. A journey that will never end. If you challenge me, prepare to be challenged. If you have something to offer as a fellow student, I will accept it. If you call yourself a master, prepare to be humbled. If you seek me, look to the path. I will be traveling it.

Proudly playing in many wrong ways. I'm not afraid of playing wrong according to the rules. Why are you?

100 Crack Reply of the Yagamifire. You are already wrong.

Another possibility is that the PC in question figures out a way to trick the Cube into believing that he and his companions are, in fact, not edible or desirable as food. That would return the Cube to a more docile state.

I like that.  The player pulls it off, encounter successful, and it thematically makes sense.  Most importantly, though, it's simple.