Newb with a human deck. What should I change?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey, people. I'll be taking this to my first FNM on Friday. I call it "Human Party." The goal is to get as many humans on the battlefield as possible, and benefit from that large number of humans as much as possible.

Let me know what you think and what I could improve, while keeping it Standard Legal. Think I should include more Cathar's Crusade? I feel like it would probably be a good idea, but they're expensive, so I have only bought two so far.

I'd particularly like advice about sideboarding -- don't really know what I'm doing with it. I'm basically planning on having the sideboard consist of more Fiend Hunters (for when removal is needed), Cobbled Wings (against a flying deck), and Devout Chaplains (against enchantment-heavy decks). What else would be good in the sideboard? More flying creatures? 

Deck: Human Party (1/6/2012) IMAGE(http://deckstats.net/mana/m/w.gif)

2 Elite Vanguard
2 Midnight Duelist
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Gather the Townsfolk
2 Cobbled Wings
2 Pacifism
2 Nearheath Pilgrim
2 Fiend Hunter
2 Devout Chaplain
3 Thraben Doomsayer
4 Crusader of Odric
2 Increasing Devotion
2 Cathars' Crusade
3 Goldnight Redeemer
4 Rogue's Passage
20 Plains

IMAGE(http://i.hbtronix.de/chart_pie.png) Display deck statistics

First, I should point out that Elite Vanguard isn't Standard legal.  If that's an issue, they need to be switched out.

As for the rest of your deck, I don't see Rogue's Passage or Cobbled Wings as worthwhile cards here.  I'd throw those out and add more removal.  Pacifism and Fiend Hunter both work, or you might consider Oblivion Ring.
Elite Vanguard is not Standard-legal. Is the event Modern or Standard?

Cathars' Crusade is a hoot for casual play but you won't get much use out of it in a tournament; games won't last long enough.

Goldnight Redeemer is also crazy high casting cost. Angel of Jubilation is a much better fit.

Devout Chaplain is not going to get it done for you; three creatures to take out an enchantment? No. has many ways of dealing with enchantments that are better, including Warpriest of Thune and numerous instants.

Most Human decks are either or ' alone is better suited to casual play. Knight of Infamy would ruin your entire day.

Some good ideas for the side-board include:
Rest in Peace for stopping graveyard shennaigans.
Oblivion Rings for many things, including enchantments.
[c]Sundering Growth[c] is a possiblility.
Thanks for the quick responses.

Good point about Elite Vanguard -- I must have forgotten to check it's expansion. Also, yeah, Warpiest of Thune is clearly better than Devout Chaplain.

Sounds like a key point is that this deck has too many cards that require too much manna. 

I suppose now the key decision is, do I want to keep trying to improve this as a mono-white, or add a second color? I'm leaning towards the latter, because you all and everyone else tells me that mono decks are bad news bears in competitive play. That begs the question, which color? What are some key cards that might be good to include from Blue or from Green, and how would it change the strategy of the deck?

Wayfaring temple comes to mind -- it's not human but it will take advantage of the token-spam along with Crusader of Odric and Champion of the Parish. Opinions?
Wayfaring Temple and Crusader of Odric are best left for casual play; you won't often have enough creatures out to benefit in competitive play.

You can make a human deck with any color and there are probably good reasons for each except maybe .

I haven't built a two-color human deck yet although I do have a mono- deck put together. It's not entirely serious but it's tuned a little bit.

Sideboard
[deck]
2 Intrepid Hero
1 Oblivion Ring
3 Riders of Gavony
3 Rootborn Defenses
3 Soul Tithe
3 War Priest of Thune
[/deck]

I've played it casually but it's mostly just a feel-good exercise. The Crusader would be replaced by Silverblade Paladin but he's otherwise occupied at the moment; besides, she's more fun. Ace, Mentor, Doomsayer, and Odric are really casual-quality cards. The Angel is playable pretty much only in a mono or nearly mono- deck.

Restoration Angel and Cloudshift can be a hoot with Fiend Hunter and they work well also with the Warpriest. There are also a great many good combat tricks in ; Faith's Shield, Safe Passage to name a few

A solid Exalted deck is also possible and moderately competitive as long as you don't go overboard with the Exalted cards - most of them are crap. Sublime Archangel is the key here along with Silverblade. Knight of Glory is good enough to use here. This deck works better with some and it can also go with . The version can be top-notch but the isn't as good.