Help with my Jarad EDH

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have never made a Commander before, so I considered making one for Jarad.  I have some of the cards for it already, but not all of them.  I would like suggestions and also I want to include some other cards, but I don't know what to take out.  

Creatures (33)
acidic slime
birds of paradise
brawn
butcher of malakir
Corpse Connoisseur
creakwood liege
disciple of bolas
doomgape 
eternal witness 
extractor demon 
fauna shaman 
fleshbag marauder 
genesis 
gleancrawler 
golgari grave-troll  
golgari thug 
grave titan 
hermit druid 
lhurgoyf 
lord of extinction 
lotleth troll 
mortivore 
necrotic ooze  
phyrexian delver 
savra, queen of the golgari 
sepulchral primordial 
sewer nemesis 
shriekmaw  
spiritmonger 
stinkweed imp 
sylvan primordial  
vulturous zombie

Noncreature spells (31)
attrition 
Beast within  
Birthing pod
black sun's zenith 
buried alive 
crucible of worlds 
demonic tutor 
garruk relentless 
golgari signet 
grave pact 
greater good 
grisly salvage 
hatred 
jarad's orders  
life from the loam 
lightning greaves 
living death 
Maelstrom pulse 
morality shift 
pernicious deed  
Phyrexian Altar 
Phyrexian arena 
Putrefy 
regrowth 
sol ring 
survival of the fittest  
sylvan library 
twilight's call  
vigor mortis 
vraska the unseen  
witchbane orb 

Land (35)
barren moor
bayou
command tower
crypt of agadeem
dakmor salvage
5x Forest
golgari guildgate
golgari rot farm
grim backwoods
llanowar wastes
marsh flats
miren, the moaning well
misty rainforest
overgrown tomb
phyrexian tower
polluted mire
reliquary tower
rogue's passage
shizo, death's storehouse
strip mine
svogthos, the restless tomb 
3x swamp
tainted wood
temple of the false god 
tranquil thicket
twilight mire
verdant catacombs 
volrath's stronghold
woodland cemetery 

Thanks in advance!
Brawn and Filth, the latter with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Brawn is already in the deck and if I were to add Filth, what would I take out?
Buried Alive, Oversold Cemetery, Bonehoard, and if you can afford them: Survival of the Fittest and Genesis.

Deck looks pretty solid as is though. If I were to take things out for your Maybeboard, it would probably be things like
Grave Titan
Death's Presence (Not sure how important the +1/+1 parts of this deck are to you)
Corpsejack Menace
1 or 2 of your weaker Dredge creatures

Edit: Also, Volrath's Stronghold, Phyrexian Tower, and Harvester of Souls

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

Thanks Baad007, I appreciate the response.  Out of all the cards you suggested bonehoard and Genesis seem like the best options.  I really like Grave Titan, is there a reason why you think I should take it out?  death's presence might be a weak link in the deck, so I will consider removing it.  

I tried to make a +1/+1 counter theme in the deck with Corpsejack Menace, but do you think it isn't quite as good as I intended?  If so I will probably remove him.

One more question, Do you think I should have both living death and Twilight's call in the deck?
Your deck needs more lands and ramp. With only 34 you're going to not hit a lot of your land drops.

3DH4LIF3

Thanks Baad007, I appreciate the response.  Out of all the cards you suggested bonehoard and Genesis seem like the best options.  I really like Grave Titan, is there a reason why you think I should take it out?  death's presence might be a weak link in the deck, so I will consider removing it.  

I tried to make a +1/+1 counter theme in the deck with Corpsejack Menace, but do you think it isn't quite as good as I intended?  If so I will probably remove him.

One more question, Do you think I should have both living death and Twilight's call in the deck?

As far as Grave Titan was concerned, seems like he doesn't really add as much to the deck as some of the other creatures.
As far as the counters goes, I guess my biggest questions about those cards is how often do you get them and how effective are they when you get them? To me, it seems a little forced and may not be worth occupying space in the deck unless you find they are useful. Just my thoughts at first glance. After thinking about it a little more, it could be worth keeping. If you go that route, Mycoloth might be worth exploring for more sac fodder for the mana altars and Grave Pact removal.
I think having both are fine. Consistency is always good in EDH and if you can find a way to get all the creatures in your yard back in more than one way, it probably isn't a bad thing. Just make sure you are able to get rid of the enemy creatures.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

I admit that corpsejack menace is a bit forced considering the main reason I added him is because I have the card and its a promo.  I will consider removing grave titan as well.  niheloim, you are very right, I have considered adding more land for a while, but considering what to take out is always hard for me.  How many lands do you think I should use?  
I start with around 40 and reduce based on the ramp and cheap card draw available. I usually stick with around 37/38 and okay 5 to 10 ramps with at least half 3cmc or less.

In your deck I would play golgari signet, star compass (and plenty of basics), cultivate, kodama's reach, sol ring, and whatever else you think you need or better suits your vision for the deck. Dual land fetching can be important if you run them.

3DH4LIF3

I have a few of those cards already, but some of them seem like solid suggestions, THANKS!  Also do you think I should remove Massacre wurm?  I think it may be another pet card of mine. (I have a lot of pet cards, even though I know sometimes they aren't worth it)
Yes. Its a metagame choice. If you're fighting hoards of 2/2's I guess its ok. I've had occasion to cycle Decree of pain at least once, but generally the effect isn't good enough unless static.

Ascendant Evincar might be better. Or Kagemaro first to suffer. Black sun is better than the wurm.

3DH4LIF3

40 Relentless Rats, see here for mine.
deathrite shaman isn't so hot in this format.

vulturous zombie 
Deathrite Shaman is good in any format, and amazing in most.

He can replace nearly every graveyard removal card. Unless you need to play things like Tormod's Crypt or Bojuka Bog. In which case you could still play both as they're not restricted by Deathrite's colors. He's going to provide incidental advantage. Is he an all-star in this format like Legacy and Modern...no...but he's still pretty darn good.
I already have vulturous zombie in the deck and deathrite shaman is probably good in commander especially with the "each player loses 2" ruling for multiplayer games, however the reason I eventually led to not adding him is because I was already tight for spots and also graveyard-hate isn't as good in this deck.  Graveyard-hate is good in commander, but I would hardly use it in this deck because I get benefits from cards in my opponent's graveyard.
I would play withered wretch over shaman, or nezumi grave robber.

3DH4LIF3

what are you guys' thoughts on hatred?
Its fine. It only kills the one player, but whatever.

3DH4LIF3

Actually no, if you use it on a creature and sac it with Jarad it kills all of your opponents
Actually no, if you use it on a creature and sac it with Jarad it kills all of your opponents

Assuming you have another creature... yeah, thats not bad.

3DH4LIF3

Do you think I should cut nightmare void?  Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems too slow, especially with lots of players.
Do you think I should cut nightmare void?  Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems too slow, especially with lots of players.

I wouldn't play it. There are just better ways of getting cards into your graveyard, and those sorts of discard effects that target the one player are just bad in edh...

you want to hit everyone with Myojin of Night's Reach or Mindslicer or Nath of the Gilt-Leaf + Sadistic Hypnotist or something like that. Hitting a players entire hand isn't bad. 

3DH4LIF3

Saw Sepulchral primordial in the spoilers and it seems like an amazing addition to the deck.  

Here is a link to the card: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138792&d=1358226056

Any ideas what to take out?  My deck can be found here:  http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jarad-and-friends/
If no one has any ideas I might just take out grave betrayal.
Saw Sepulchral primordial in the spoilers and it seems like an amazing addition to the deck.  

Here is a link to the card: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138792&d=1358226056

Any ideas what to take out?  My deck can be found here:  http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jarad-and-friends/
If no one has any ideas I might just take out grave betrayal.

Meh. I find the Betrayal good enough to keep in. Is army of the damned worth it?

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

I've been debating army of the damned, it can be an instant win in some scenarios and since a lot of cards get in my graveyard I can flashback it if it gets in there by accident.  Its hard to say if I should take it out or not.  It does a put a giant target over my head as well which is a factor to consider, though sepulchral primordial does the same thing.

I will consider removing it, but I want to wait for other peoples' ideas.  Thanks for the input!
I've been debating army of the damned, it can be an instant win in some scenarios and since a lot of cards get in my graveyard I can flashback it if it gets in there by accident.  Its hard to say if I should take it out or not.  It does a put a giant target over my head as well which is a factor to consider, though sepulchral primordial does the same thing.

I will consider removing it, but I want to wait for other peoples' ideas.  Thanks for the input!

Here's how I look at it: For 7 mana you are getting a 5 power fattie with intimidate in addition to whatever fattie in an opposing graveyard you want for each player vs 8 (or 10) for 13x 2/2s or 26x 2/2s total at best. How many players are typically in your EDH games? What decks do they play and what does that lead to as far as the fatties that typically end up in thier GY(Any Maeyeal or Rakdos, Lord of Riots players)?  How likely are your zombies to actually hit the opposing players vs the other fatties (Flying Angels/Dragons/Demons/etc, Tramplers, Intimidation/Fear)? Come into play effects? Great abilities (Avacyn comes to mind)? These are things you have to decide based on your playgroup, but I know that would be the 1st card I look at when I'm making cuts looking at that decklist.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

As I said earlier, this is my first EDH deck, so I don't know what the EDH decks are like with my friends with Commander decks.  I am making the decklist ahead of time, so I know what cards to get before I buy them.  Right now I have about half of the cards in the deck and I'm still working on the rest.  You are probably right about removing army of the damned though, I will make that change.
OH DANG, just saw another spoiler in the form of sylvan primordial.  Here is a link, it is the card in the middle:
forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?a...

I don't really have any cards to take out for it besides the sepulchral primordium, which do you guys think is better? 
I'd go with Sylvan if you aren't going to include both.  Also, Jarad cries for Witchbane Orb to protect your graveyard from getting nuked.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

witchbane orb seems like a great idea, but I still need to find cards to take out.  I like both primordials a lot, so I'm gonna wait on other opinions for more people before deciding but the ramp and removal on sylvan does seem really good.  Also thanks for all the people willing to help me with this, I really appreciate it! 
I'm thinking of taking out spiritmonger and grave betrayal for two more cards.  Possible cards to add are Pernicious Deed, Sepulchral Primordial, and  Witchbane Orb.
In my opinion Grave Betrayal is better than Sepulchral Primordial since enchantments are harder to remove and it can quite easily net you much more card advantage for the same cost. However, your deck wants big creatures, so I'd say it's a toss-up. Although lifegain is usually not great by itself, Exquisite Blood plus Jarad will very quickly push you out of range of most aggro decks.
Rules Advisor
In my opinion Grave Betrayal is better than Sepulchral Primordial since enchantments are harder to remove and it can quite easily net you much more card advantage for the same cost. However, your deck wants big creatures, so I'd say it's a toss-up. Although lifegain is usually not great by itself, Exquisite Blood plus Jarad will very quickly push you out of range of most aggro decks.

In the same way that the enchantment is harder to remove, it is also harder to recur. With the Primordial, he does have the option to let it die/sac it and bring it back, with things like Gleancrawler, Vigor Mortis, Living Death or Genesis/Oversold Cemetery/Volrath's Stronghold should he decide to add them.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

Yeah taking out grave betrayal for sepulchral primordial and adding Volrath's Stronghold.  Still debating if I should take out spiritmonger.  If so, I have the option of Pernicious Deed or Witchbane Orb.  I think Pernicious Deed is gonna be hurtful to me a lot of games, but it can still be an amazing wrath effect and Witchbane Orb's hexproof is very relevant especially against graveyard hate.
OK made some more edits to the deck and I have a few more dilemnas, should I use golgari thug or shambling shell?

Another thing bothering me is if I should use dark hatchling or shriekmaw, the hatchling has flying (important because I don't have many flyers in my deck) and it has less restrictions (can kill artifact creatures), but shriekmaw can be used earlier and can be put directly into my graveyard if I need to.

Also I am debating if I should remove grave titan, I love his raw power, but people tell me he isn't worth it.  Not sure what to think about that, but if I remove him then I can fix one of my previous dilemna's (for example I could remove grave titan, so that I could use golgari thug and shambling shell)

What do you people think? 
Thug. Shell's usefulness is minute outside of dredge. Whereas Thug can rebuy a creature for another go on the Jarad. I would either use Shriekmaw or Boneshredder. Keep Grave Titan in.
Dark hatchling is terrible. Too expensive mana-wise for why it does.

3DH4LIF3

Thanks for the quick responses.  I'm especially happy from ir0nwood's comment because I love grave titan and boneshredder is a cool card to consider although I will probably use shriekmaw.  (Boneshredder's flying is quite enticing though) I also understand that dark hatchling is kinda meh, but being a flyer is very relevant and the creature-killing is less restrictive, however I should definietly remove him based on the comments.  
I feel like grim flowering isn't good enough for the deck.  It can draw a lot, but it is mostly only in the late game.  On turn 6 it is usually never worth it (only draws 2-4 cards), but late game it can be devastating. (Drawing up to 9 cards)  

So is it worth it?  Or should I consider something else, like Phyrexian arena?
OK I took out grim flowering for buried alive.  I also know a card I want to remove from the deck and I am debating what to add.  My thoughts right now are necropotence or phyrexian arena.  I like the skull, but not being able to discard makes a lot of cards worse. (like lotleth troll or greater good)  I'm kinda leaning toward the arena right now, but I would like some feedback. 
Flying blind as I don't enjoy tappedout's setup. Phyrexian Arena is good unless you run 3+ enchantment wipes that hit it. Even then its usually worth a slot as it will draw you 1-3 cards before being eaten by something. Drawing is good, mk.