In Which Parad Continues to Try to Come Up with an Enticing Enchantment Mechanic

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm determined to make an enchantment set before Wizards makes an enchantment block. It's gotta be coming at some point in the next few years, and I want to beat them to it. But I still need at least one more good mechanic, preferably two.

This one isn't an enchantment mechanic, but I just came up with it and I thought it was cool:

Immortal (When this card is put into a graveyard, you may search your library for a card with the same name as it and put it into your hand.)

Endless Thunder
Instant
Endless Thunder deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Immortal

Falcon of the Rising Sun
Enchantment Creature – Bird
Flying
Immortal
1/1

Eternal Sprouting
Instant
Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
Immortal

Omri the Undying
Legendary Creature – Demon Beast
Immortal
When Omri the Undying enters the battlefield, you may have it fight target creature.
4/1

This next one is a riff off of Extort. I've used the name before, but it's a different effect:

Dreamweave – Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, you may pay . If you do, put a Dream enchantment of all colors onto the battlefield. It has "At the beginning of your end step, if you control at least ten Dreams, you win the game."

Essence of Matter
Enchantment Creature – Spirit
Dreamweave
Dreams you control are 1/2 creatures in addition to their other types.
2/3

Banality
Creature – Incarnation
Deathtouch
When Banality enters the battlefield, destroy all Dreams.
1/1

Also, some random cards:

Inspired Automoton
Artifact Creature – Human Construct
Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, you may pay . If you do, until end of turn, Inspired Automoton gains lifelink if you spent , flying if you spent , deathtouch if you spent , first strike if you spent , and trample if you spent .
2/2

Form of Hope
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, your life total becomes equal to the number of enchantments you control.

Fervent Visions
Sorcery
Add to your mana pool for each enchantment you control.

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

Interesting.
Immortal is weird on non-creatures but I like what it does. Especially of Legendary guys, seems mega cool.

Dreamweave also seems cool. I'd like to see more of them tbh, as a set mechanic they'd have to be reasonably limited I think. 
Immortal is weird on non-creatures but I like what it does. Especially of Legendary guys, seems mega cool.

Dreamweave also seems cool. I'd like to see more of them tbh, as a set mechanic they'd have to be reasonably limited I think. 

This.

If you want to put immortal on non creatures as well, I'd call it eternal instead. That way it's not creature specific (or at least doesn't sound creature specific.) Both of the mechanics you have right now don't seem super easy to do at common in limited just so you know.
Again, I do like them, I think they would make poor commons is all.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Eternal does sound like a pretty good name.

I think Dreamweave would need to be presenI at common a some level, just a low level. It would kind of suck to have a 'you win the game' mechanic like infect at nt be able to put it together in draft etc. 
I'm not really fond of immortal as a name either, but also not really on the eternal boat. Assuming you play a game of limited, how "eternal" is that card often going to feel? Chances are you won't be playing more than one of them (if any, as it's a really powerful ability, and the rest of the card probably has to suffer from it as a standalone.)
However, I would expect something along the lines of "recruit" or such instead, although that only works for creatures.

Dreamweave is rather strange. Having "you win the game" on a keyword, and such.

You could probably word Inspired Automoton (Automaton?) as "Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, you may pay . If was spent this way, ~ gains lifelink until end of turn. The same is true for and flying, and deathtouch, and first strike and and trample." As another option.

2/2 trample, yay.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I'm not really fond of immortal as a name either, but also not really on the eternal boat. Assuming you play a game of limited, how "eternal" is that card often going to feel? Chances are you won't be playing more than one of them (if any, as it's a really powerful ability, and the rest of the card probably has to suffer from it as a standalone.)

That's a problem that sorta solves itself; if the cards aren't good enough without multiple copies, people won't take them highly, making it easier to get multiple copies.

I do like the mechanic but I'm not sure if a "from anywhere" trigger is a good idea: it feels weird that milling or discarding them triggers it. Really it wants to be "from the battlefield or the stack", except referencing the stack is Not Allowed, so I dunno.
blah blah metal lyrics
Spells could have it as part of resultion, permanents as trigger upon death. Haunt does this already.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Spells could have it as part of resultion, permanents as trigger upon death. Haunt does this already.

Oh yeah, I guess that's the nice thing about keywords: haunt is just defined differently in the CR for permanents and nonpermanents.

That said, I hear people have trouble understanding haunt. I have no idea what part of haunt is supposed to be confusing, so are we sure it's not that part?
blah blah metal lyrics
Eternal seems nice on enchantments.
Omri, Pharaoh of a Thousand Faces
Legendary Creature – Human Advisor
Dreamweave
Immortal
1/2

Because I'm obsessed with Test of Endurance but don't think it's good enough:

The Path to Enlightenment()()
Legendary Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life. Then, if you have 40 or more life, you win the game.
Eternal

Living Weapon on Enchantments:

The Man Who Crushed the Trees
Enchantment – Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +4/+4 and gains trample.
Fableform (Rather than cast this spell, you may pay its Fableform cost. If you do, put a 0/0 white Fable creature onto the battlefield then attach this card to it.)

The Bird Who Touched the Sky
Enchantment – Aura
Flash
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets -1/+1 and gains flying.
Fableform

Why do my threads always die when I post in them a second time?

1. I don't know if I like having Dreamweave always be an alternate win condition. Either the dreams are supposed to be mostly non-interactive and they should really just be counters, or they are supposed to be manipulated by the cards that make them, in which case I don't feel like they should have an ulterior purpose. Could you have a card that makes dreams an alternate win condition? Sure, that would be a cool card, but I think it would be better to have various cards that make dreams, count dreams, and otherwise care about dreams outside of just adding up until you get to 10. Maybe the idea doesn't quite work out (The biggest issue is finding design space for manipulating enchantments in a stackable manner), but food for thought.

If this was part of a block, this might work a bit better. The first set just counts them, the second sets "brings the dreams to life" in a manner of speaking.

2. Eh, I would find a different place to put a fixed Test of Endurance, you don't want to load up on the alternate win conditions all at once.

3. Do you have an idea of how you are going to incorperate Red/Black into this set yet.

4. Good stuff here. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
1. I don't know if I like having Dreamweave always be an alternate win condition. Either the dreams are supposed to be mostly non-interactive and they should really just be counters, or they are supposed to be manipulated by the cards that make them, in which case I don't feel like they should have an ulterior purpose. Could you have a card that makes dreams an alternate win condition? Sure, that would be a cool card, but I think it would be better to have various cards that make dreams, count dreams, and otherwise care about dreams outside of just adding up until you get to 10. Maybe the idea doesn't quite work out (The biggest issue is finding design space for manipulating enchantments in a stackable manner), but food for thought.

You're totally right.

What's a good ability word for abilities with "[equal to the number of enchantments] / [for each enchantment] you control"? I'd say Mythic, but that's already taken by Mythic Rare. Mystic? Transcendental? Allure?

Dreamer of Enlightenment
Enchantment Creature – Human Cleric
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may gain life equal to the number of enchantments you control.
1/2

Overinspired Pyromaniac
Enchantment Creature – Human Wizard
Haste
When Overinspired Pyromaniac enters the battlefield, it deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number of enchantments you control.
2/1

2. Eh, I would find a different place to put a fixed Test of Endurance, you don't want to load up on the alternate win conditions all at once.

I like alternate win-conditions. If this is going to be my set, it's going to have all the stuff I like in it. Alternate win conditions, Legendaries, enchantments, and a little bit of multicolor if I can find any room.

3. Do you have an idea of how you are going to incorperate Red/Black into this set yet.

Not really in terms of a mechanical identity. They would certainly join in with the general enchantment shenanigans.

4. Good stuff here. 

Thanks!

Bard of Elysia – ()
Creature – Human Bard
Fables you control get +1/+1.
1/1

Because ehcnhantments matter is a really hard thme to design. Everybody's hiding in shame.

Don't forget to include a cycle of enchantments that activate on etb and then when you sac them and have an effect that counts the enchantments you control both times.
ex:
Lifegain Doohickey :W:
Enchantment
When ~ etb gain one life for each enchantment you control.
:T:: Gain one life for each enchantment you control, then sacrifice CARDNAME.

or if that's a pain to balance have them activate for a swet effect to begin with. That would probably make them a whole lo more useful outside of enchantment-themed decks too.

Drawing Doohickey :U::U:
Enchantment
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield draw a card.
:T:: Draw a card for each enchantment you control then sacrifice CARDNAME.

You're pushing too hard, you gotta play hard to get a little more.

I don't like fableform. I feel like it's better to pull Auras away from Equipments, whereas fableform just highlights how Auras are worse Equipments. Since you can't attach them to different creatures, you have to commit to the 0/0 or to attaching it to a creature; the better option is usually to fableform it (reduces card disadvantage), which takes away the fun of build-a-monster with Auras.
You're pushing too hard, you gotta play hard to get a little more.

Oh man, if I had a nickel for every time someone told me that in my life...

You're right about Fableform, but I don't think the problems with it are bad enough to make it a bad mechanic. I could just make the fableform costs more expensive than the casting costs.