What is a Ki Focus? In terms of In-game.

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Like...in terms of the in game world what is a Ki Focus? I'm just kinda picturing it as something intangible...or is it some physical object that you carry on yourself?
Well, it's description in the PHB3 makes it pretty clear that it's meant to be a physical object, just like the Holy Symbols. It's just that what they look like is left largely up to the player. It could be a training weapon, for example, but it isn't limited to that.

Personally, I like to make my ki foci something that represents the character's training or monastery, like a ring with the emblem of their monastery or a belt or such that was given to them when they completed their training.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)
Well, it's description in the PHB3 makes it pretty clear that it's meant to be a physical object, just like the Holy Symbols. It's just that what they look like is left largely up to the player. It could be a training weapon, for example, but it isn't limited to that.

Personally, I like to make my ki foci something that represents the character's training or monastery, like a ring with the emblem of their monastery or a belt or such that was given to them when they completed their training.

Ah...Then I'm going the route of making a warforged monk with his ki focus inside of him(probably won't get lost) Don't have to worry about it getting taken away...i can escape from prisons given I'm not too out numbered by gaurds....hopefully this will be a fun character :3

And...just for future reference...What is the theme for improving unarmed combat? i know monks get that by default just wondering
Elemental Initiate.  It's fairly useless for a Monk, partly because it's basically monk-lite (Ki Focus proficiency, and a +2/d6 unarmed strike), partly because the power has the Weapon keyword.

It's pretty nice for some other classes, due to the ki focus prof, free skill training, and immediate action power.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
A ki focus is just a fetish.  It's an object that you keep on your person that empowers your ki powers.  The focus could be anything.  The best way I can envisions it is as if it were some sort of lucky charm.  You don't have to "weild" the focus to gain its benefit.  It just has to be on your person.

Narratively, this is whatever you want it to be.  I find the ki focus to be the most poorly defined implement in the game.  It exists only because we need something to give ki-users their necessary enhancement bonuses.  It's a mechanical necessity in search of narrative justification.
same as any other implement, only for psionic powers.
Could be a necklace, brand, glove, whatever. It really is just there to provide bonuses to psionic characters that no other class can use.
Could be a necklace, brand, glove, whatever. It really is just there to provide bonuses to psionic characters that no other class can use.

Monks are the only psionic class that has ki focus proficiency.

Edit:
I typically default to some kind of glove/wrist-and-hand wrapping for simplicity's sake.
The pebble you snatched out of your master's hand and you keep it with you to remind you of the life leasons he taught you.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

Monks are the only psionic class that has ki focus proficiency.

Edit:
I typically default to some kind of glove/wrist-and-hand wrapping for simplicity's sake.

Yeah, oddly it has more ties to Shadow it seems. The word Ki is likely purely from its original intentions, though shadow classes seem to have made the most use of it. 

Three classes get use of it without feats.  One is shadow/martial, one is shadow, one is psionic.  It's not so much a psionic implement as a generic not-anything-else implement, and enhancement bonus replacement for people who ought to be unarmed or using multiple weapons, in a system which only really supports the use of a single weapon.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The most common types of Ki Foci I've seen are prayer beads or rosaries.  Though I was really impressed once when someone flavored them as Koans and Mantras that they repeated to themselves to help them focus.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
I personally have always hated the Ki focus' narrative in the fluff. Since I don't usually use disarment as a narrative device I would refluff as:

Monk: A training stance they have learned (like grandmaster training an inherent bonus rolled into one), to swap ki focuses is a minor action. Instead of giving as part of a treasure hoard the Monk character meets a hermit in the mountains during the course of the quest, or even more fun, a finally understanding of a technique occurs in the middle of a fight, and the monk receives it when they spend their second wind in the middle of a climactic battle with the boss. 

Assasin:  A shroud of extra strength, bestowed on the assasin when they make an important kill. 

Vampire: An empowering transfusion of blood, gifted when the vampire uses his racial ability against a dragon or powerful bbeg.

The beauty of 4E is it's easy enough to balance this in with the rest of the treasure, and it's off the wish list of the player. Then when I'm about ready to give them their new ki focus I can grant them a magic item of value equal to the selling value of their ki focus they won't be using anymore and tell them to remove it from their sheet.