All standard mill cards

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. How to Create
Show
replace {} with [] {sblock} at the beginning and {/sblock} at the end.
I borrowed this from blood77. All credit goes to him. Great idea for a signature and I'm tired of people not autocarding decks. How to Auto Card
Show
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
Show
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck Auto Deck
Show
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4 Halimar Depths 4 Unstable Frontier 8 Island 4 Swamp Creatures 12 4 Hedron Crab 4 Nemesis of Reason 4 Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4 Spreading Seas 4 Suffer the Past 4 Mind Funeral 4 Archive Trap 4 Ponder 4 Into the Roil 4 Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Result
what we need are cards that bring exiled cards BACK to the graveyard.

There is exactly one card that can do that. Pull from Eternity.

And only one other card can just remove cards from exile. Riftsweeper.
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
Pull from Eternity
Riftsweeper

that's about it

/edit: damnit, beaten by 5 seconds
proud member of the 2011 community team
That's a Yu-Gi-Oh! thing that helped ruin the game.  Having a second graveyard as a resource strains the game.  They would have to use up more design space as they have to put in other cards that make that matter, like adding in a bunch of exile effects to make sure it can be played, then add a lot of graveyard effects to make sure doing it has a point.  Then, to keep the set balanced and not hinging on one card, they have to make other cards that care about the exile zone too.  In order to make them worthwile, they have to give them a higher power level than standard graveyard effects.  yes, they could stop at just printing that one card, but in eternal formats it slowly adds up so they really have to limit themselves, or eventually (years and years down the line), the game breaks.  This is why they don't make more of the Burning Wish mechanic.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Show
I borrowed this from blood77. All credit goes to him. Great idea for a signature and I'm tired of people not autocarding decks. How to Auto Card
Show
Show
Show
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4 Halimar Depths 4 Unstable Frontier 8 Island 4 Swamp Creatures 12 4 Hedron Crab 4 Nemesis of Reason 4 Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4 Spreading Seas 4 Suffer the Past 4 Mind Funeral 4 Archive Trap 4 Ponder 4 Into the Roil 4 Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Result
There's Mirror of Fate, too.

Also,  how is Graveyard Shovel a milling card?
Also, eventually you wind up printing AWOL anyway and then the whole process repeats.
Weeding out the filler, there are only a few solid millers:
Jace, Memory Adept
Nephalia Drownyard
Increasing Confusion
Undead Alchemist

The rest of the deck should be board wipes / removal / fog effects.
Or you could build around the alchemist.

He wasn't just listing mill cards, but cards that interact with mill as well, which is why stuff like Graveyard Shovel and Deathrite Shaman were included in his list.

Although from what I can tell it doesn't contain any of the self-mill stuff. I think this was intentional though.

Edit:

Jace, Memory Adept
Nephalia Drownyard
Increasing Confusion
Undead Alchemist

Your list is almost spot on.

-Undead Alchemist

+Psychic Spiral
+Sands of Delirium

Thought Scour and Chronic Flooding are viable as well, but honestly just plain work better being used on yourself.

I always thought Geralf's Mindcrusher had potential when I first saw it spoiled, but up until now its not really done much of anything.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Jace, Memory Adept
Nephalia Drownyard
Increasing Confusion
Undead Alchemist

Once the new set is out, Dimir looks like it will run milling as a resource, not a primary win condition.  This makes cards like Jace's Phantasm, Mind Sculpt, Havengul Lich and Spelltwine a lot more playable.  Also, Undead Alchemist does not have to be built around.  He fits amazingly in a mill deck by his lonesome because playing any mill cards when you have him out drops 2/2 tokens for blocking.  Then you can block with him or destroy him to get rid of the mill effect and swing for win once you have a critical mass.

He wasn't just listing mill cards, but cards that interact with mill as well, which is why stuff like Graveyard Shovel and Deathrite Shaman were included in his list.

Although from what I can tell it doesn't contain any of the self-mill stuff. I think this was intentional though.

This.  Although I was unsure about the shovel as it seems more of a terribad anti-reanimator card.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Show
Show
Show
Show
Result
Allright I'm compiling a full list of all the cards that mill or work with milling in standard just for myself so I might as well post it.  I'm nice like that.  

These cards aren't Standard legal.

Rules Advisor

Lol It's in Future Card and Set Speculation so I figured it was implied I meant post release.  Also, I am compiling the list for Dimir mill support.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Show
Show
Show
Show
Result

There is exactly one card that can do that. Pull from Eternity.

And only one other card can just remove cards from exile. Riftsweeper.

Runic Repetition can get an exiled card back as long as it has flashback.

And what about Reforge the Soul?  A playset can do some milling work, all the while refilling your hand.     
Would you want to run them?  Your opponent would get to keep looking for answers and dump their hand each time in an aggro deck so that if you do stabilize, they overwhelm you again.  The good thing about mill in an aggro deck is that it doesn't affect the game with the exception of graveyard effects.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Show
Show
Show
Show
Result
This.  Although I was unsure about the shovel as it seems more of a terribad anti-reanimator card.

It is, and honestly, 3/4th of your list is unplayable in the Standard environment.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Whenever I see a theme I like in upcoming sets I like to compile a list of all cards good or bad that would work with it.  That way I can look at it whenever another card comes out to see if it interacts well with a previously weak card.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Show
Show
Show
Show
Result
Would you want to run them?  Your opponent would get to keep looking for answers and dump their hand each time in an aggro deck so that if you do stabilize, they overwhelm you again.  The good thing about mill in an aggro deck is that it doesn't affect the game with the exception of graveyard effects.

Not at all, but i don't play mill to begin with.  Just thought it could be on your list of Standard mill cards.     
Lol It's in Future Card and Set Speculation so I figured it was implied I meant post release.  Also, I am compiling the list for Dimir mill support.

Im with you on this. I really hope mill gets a new direction with Dimir. Milling right now is the most boring and non interactive method to victory IMO.

Id rather have the focus on cards like "target opponent loses life/sacrifices/discards equal to the number of cards in his graveyard" 
I play for fun
Pull from Eternity
Riftsweeper

that's about it

/edit: damnit, beaten by 5 seconds

Runic Repetition can get instants and sorceries with flashback (no, not ones given it by Snapcaster Mage).
Misthollow Griffin can get itself out, and I'm actually now comboing that with Manipulate Fate.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
A number of the Sorcery and Instant are also support with some copy spell.

Dual Casting
Increasing Vengeance
Reverberate
Nivix Guildmage
Why wasn't Curse of the Bloody Tome mentioned?

Can't think of a better recursion mill card then this.
No love for Trepanation Blade?
Sign In to post comments