URG Riku Mirror Deck

19 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello. I've been away from MTG for over a year now and recently got back into. While Standard is my main focus at the moment, Commander is another thing I knew I wanted to look into. Before I took my break, I had 4 commander decks and they all sucked. So I decided to scrap all but my original, this one.
The thing is, when I made it before, I never really embraced the commander, or at least not as well as I should have. I more of made a URG commander deck with Riku as commander than a Riku Commander deck. While it did improve towards the end, I feel like the best thing to do would be to just rebuild it from the bottom up.

Currently, I don't have any new deck list. Instead, I want some feedback from players who probably know more about Commander decks than I do. So here are some questions I have that will help me build the deck. Once I build the new list, I'll post it in this topic over this part.
    1-The first thing I want to know is ratios. My old version of the deck ran 38 lands. Would you say that is a good amount or should I go for more? How many would you suggest I run? Knowing how many cards I have after lands is a very important part of building any deck.
   1.5-Besides lands, what other ratios would you suggest. For example, how many cards should fetch lands? How many should copy or clone cards of mine? How many should be "removal" cards? How many should be "take an extra turn" cards (once playtesting old I got 10 turns in a row XD)?
   2-Next, I need to know what I missed. Have any new crazy commander cards came out since Innistrad (might as well include innistrad, I may have missed that)? Only interested in cards that would go well with the URG Mirror Theme for the moment.
   3-Next, what cards would you consider a "Staple" for this deck? For this, I want to know of all the Commander legal cards you'd say should 100% be in this deck. I know that probably varies with person and that there are a ton of good cards. Still, there may be some cards I never heard of that would be amazing. Or there may be cards that I know of but thought they weren’t worth it.
   4-Lastly, any advice on running the deck you think I should know? I get the "avoid things you can't clone like legendaries, enchantments, and such", but I am sure I am ignorant to many cool things you can do. So what amazing combos should I be aware of? What stupid mistakes should I try to avoid?

Well, that is all I have for now. I am not sure when I will get around to updating my EDH deck, but I really want to get to it.

1 - Riku can be a mana pig, so 38 lands is not a bad idea.

2 -  On the mirror theme, my Riku runs Parallel Lives, Doubling Season, Chandra, the Firebrand, Cloudstone Curio, Wort, the Raidmother, and Minion Reflector. Then there's Rite of Replication.

3 - Probably the only true staples are a few land fetches like Cultivate and some cheap card draw like Ponder, Foresee, or Telling Time. It's not even about the exact cards, just ramp and card advantage cheap enough for Riku to double easily. After that, what "staples" to use will be dictated by your strategy choices.

4 - You can have things that Riku can't clone/double, but they should either be really good or they should enhance Riku, like say Parallel Lives, which is both good and makes Riku's creature copying twice as effective.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Thanks for the feedback. I take it Curio is to bounce the creature so I can recast it and make another clone? Also, glad you mentioned about cheap draw, I probably would have overlooked that. Also, it will help with targets for that one new Izzet card I was considering (7 cost and it gets you a 3 cost, 2 cost, and 1 cost sorcery or instant). Also, I know it is okay to run some non-cloneable cards. But I meant that I really need to keep it to a strict min this time. Before I had some acceptable cards like Treachery, Sol Ring, Mimic Vat, and Akroma's Memorial. But I also had Sun Quan, Lord of Wu and a few other Legendaries that I probably should have cut.
You should probably take a peek at the compendium since there should be a few Riku decks in there. Just for ideas and cool tech you decide you want.

Creatures with ETB effects or ramping abilities, like Sad Robot, Sakura Tribe Elder, or Ondu Giant are good in Riku.

Staples/generally good cards like Venser (creature), Seedborn Muse, Oracle of Mul Daya, Tooth and Nail, Capsize, Reiterate, etc are all solid options if you have them.
Thanks for the feedback. I take it Curio is to bounce the creature so I can recast it and make another clone?

Yes. It's particularly useful with my deck, since I run allies with Riku. It may not be as useful with other creature strategies. Cast and double an ally, trigger every ally's ETB effect twice. Bounce one and repeat the process.

I also use what DermeisterDoktor said: Creatures with ETB/ramp. A lot of my non-ally creatures are land fetches like Sylvan Ranger, Yavimaya Elder, or Coiling Oracle. Since most of my green allies and land fetch creatures are elves, I also have Joraga Treespeaker and Elvish Archdruid.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Thanks for the comments. I will be sure to look into those cards; as well as check out the deck lists.
Edit: While the ally/elf theme does sound very cool with Riku, I personally don't think I will focus on that as much. I'd rather my deck be a bit more splashable and just more of a bunch of tricks with combos that anyone theme beyond mirroring.

One thing I feel I should ask; how much removal should I focus on? I know from last time that URG kinda lacks in removal. Most Red Spells can't kill much in commander unless I copy them and cast twice. The only removal I know of is Beast Within, Chaos Warp, Comet Storm, Pongify, Blasphemous Act, Desert Twister, Devil's Play, Into the Maws of Hell, Savage Twister, All Is Dust, Tooth and Nail, Borrowing the East Wind, Tower of Calamities, and Karn Liberated.
So which of those cards would you say is worth running and which would you say is worth skipping? Also, did I miss any powerful URG removal cards? I know I didn't list Counters, they don't do much when creatures are on field. Still, how many Counters would you run in this deck?

It is really annoying to find out the Ratio for this stuff. 100 card singleton seems like a lot, but it really goes by too quick. Between the lands and commander, it goes down to about 60. Then you need to double up on so much if you want to have a chance to draw it, so those 60 fill up quickly.
So out of 60 cards, how many would you suggest be Attacking Creatures, Support Creatures (e.g. creatures who help support but don't attack), Removals, Counters, Clones (e.g. Reiterate and the like), Times (e.g. Temporal Mastery and such), Draw/Search (e.g. Ponder, Soul's Majesty, and the like), Mana Ramp (e.g. Farseek and such), and Support (e.g. Enchanemnts/Artfiacts/Non-Cloneable)?
Maybe I am looking at this wrong, but I easily found 9 categories of cards that I think should be fit into 60 cards >.< Obviously, I need to focus heavily on Strong Creatures and Powerful Instants/Sorceries to clone. But still, deciding which cards can be very tricky. I mean I can easily think of 10+ good attackers, 10 good support creatures, 5-10 good removal, 10 counters, 5 clone cards, 5-10 draw/search (also retrieve from grave), 10 mana ramp, and 5+ support cards. Ironically, the low numbers on all that is exactly 60; but I doubt the ratio is really that simple.
So what do you think I should emphasis on? Should I pack deck full of Extra Turn cards (personally I like the idea)? Or should I give myself a ton of draw cards so I can gain a lot more options? I doubt I will be able to use much removal due to limited options, but still, how much should I focus on removal or should I let my creatures do most my removal? Should I use a lot of mana ramp or is 38 lands enough to scale back on ramp cards to a more minimum? Do you think it is worth using a lot of Counterspells, or should I try to keep them to a smaller amount (I am not best at waiting around with spells to begin with)?
I doubt I will really find a definitive answer to this to use as an absolute rule. So personal opinions are gladly welcome (along with reasoning, e.g. why you'd skip that card type).

There are three red spells that kill creatures Fissure, Aftershock and Lava Flow… then you can play Decimate… but be wary about having the right targets.

I think the best riku decks ate going to be creature based and capable of playing well without riku.

You should play genesis wave. Rite of replication. Chandra the firebrand. Cheap spells (like natures claim over relic crush). There are no set numbers... but I did recently average my decks (18 at the time) and posted results. You might search for that thread.

3DH4LIF3

I totally understand not wanting an ally theme. I only have it because I wanted an ally commander deck, and Riku seemed like the best way to get more bang for my ally ETB buck.

The green weenie creatures with land fetch though.....solid for any Riku deck.

For creature/Planeswalker removal and the occasional '"nuke you for 12 and copy it", I run Red Sun's Zenith. Also no reason to not run Green Sun's Zenith.
For creature removal, I run a Lord of Shatterskull Pass and [/c]Balefire Dragon[/c]. I'm not usually a fan of levelling creatures in the already mana-hungry Riku deck, but a reusable one-sided virtual board wipe works for me. Then there was the time I managed to kick a Rite of Replication on the Balefire Dragon. And if the levelling creatures don't scare you, Echo Mage can be sick with Riku.

Depending on how closely you want to guardthe secrets of your deck, Guided Passage can be nice with Riku.

I don't think I knew about those spells, besides Decimate (which is a bit iffy since it needs all 4 targets). So I take it you would say that I should focus more on creatures than instants/sorceries? Or at least have a good balance of the two. I will certainly note all those cards listed for consideration. Also, I having a bit of trouble finding the thread; it may be I am just not looking in right way. If you could post a link, it would be appreciated.

I will certainly look into land fetchers in both creature and spell form. Although personally I'd rather play cards like Farseek over Borderlands Ranger. I will certainly consider the Zeniths. I am not too scared of levelers. Echo Mage made the last version, and it will probably make this one too. Lord of Shatterskull Pass I am a bit more iffy on, but will certainly consider. Balefire does seem nice; and Rite of Replication is a must for a Riku deck in my opinion =P Also, according to my old notes, I have a Guided Passage but it didn't make cut last time. Still, I will consider it even if it is just for the sheer torture of making opponent choose 3 cards to give me twice =P Also, I’d assume it works really good if one player is more of an "ally" to you. I never got to play EDH much so far so not sure how often that will happen XD

I look at it this way: Guided Passage is going to get me two land. The other cards will either be something my opponent didn't fear (in which case they thinned my deck for me), or there is something on the board that both of us fear and I use one opponent to tutor up an answer from my deck for the thing opponent #2 has that we both fear.

Shatterskull only needs to attack to deal his damage, Balefire needs to deal damage to the defending player. In that sense, Shatterskull is more reliable. He's just much more mana intensive.

Guided passage is a nutty card if your deck quality is high... more so if copied. And yes, politics play a role in who you choose.

Also... fact or fiction.

3DH4LIF3

On the numbers of cards in decks...

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

3DH4LIF3

Yah, I can see how it would be worth running either way. I think I may want this deck to be more focused on fun with cloning than draw power or counters. I mean, I will probably run some counters and draw power, but I don't think that is really where I want my emphasis. If I do want that, it is probably a better idea to try a different commander deck (like Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind).

So I think I really want to focus on things that are fun to abuse with clones, yet still are practical if not cloned. So lot of creatures with on enter effects, lots of extra turn cards, and lots of mana ramp with a good bit of removal. That sound like a good plan? Also, can anyone think of any insane cards that will help with the whole Extra Turns theme?

Extra turns theme? Play more of them?

Savor the Moment and Stitch in Time… if you're brave you can try Last Chance, Final Fortune and Warrior's Oath.

3DH4LIF3

Of course time warp and time stretch should be in there.

3DH4LIF3

Well I know a lot of the extra turn cards like Lighthouse Chronologist, Time Stretch (high cost but awesome if I mirror it), Time Warp, Walk the Aeons, Temporal Mastery, and Temporal Manipulation. I don't think I'm brave enough to try those XD Also, I don't think they would clone well (since I may net 2 turns, but I’d still lose after first). Savor the Moment isn't bad, but I really see it as more of a draw card than an extra turn card. If there any insane combos with that card that I'm missing, let me know. Stitch in Time seems a tad iffy, although odds are it will give me an extra turn if I clone it. Besides that, I guess I will have to run retrieval like Eternal Witness, Recollect, and Regrowth to get the turn cards back.
Generally yes. Regrowth effects are it.

If you want to try for bravery you can always end the turn with time stop or sundial of the infinite. Or counter the delayed trigger. If you get a nucklavee and the red sorcery ones you can loop turns pretty easily.

3DH4LIF3

Beacon of Tomorrows

Lighthouse Chronologist is nutty in multiplayer, but I am not sure cloning him nets you two extra turns per opponent or if you still only get one.

I have an odd feeling that if I get a Chronologist and a clone both to final level I'll just give the person in charge of rulings a headache XD Still, even without cloning, it is insane. Also, I will certainly consider Beacons.
Also, I think I'll just avoid any card that mentions "you lose" in the effect for now. Seems like too much work trying to get all the pieces and it would be dead weight without it. As crazy as extra turns can get, I think I'd rather just get back a time warp from grave that risk losing.
Besides extra turns, I certainly wasn't to focus on cloning. Which means not only a lot of cloneable creatures, but a lot of duplication spells. Imagine how insane it would be to clone a creature on play with Riku, then play a Crackling Counterpart and clone it with Riku. 4 creatures from 2 cards =D