3.5 Rogue feats progression: feedback please?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
(DEX 16, CON 14, INT 13, CHA 12, STR 10, WIS 8)

I'm thinking about starting level 1 as a Fighter for "Weapon Finesse," as I imagine that the amount of damage eventually dealt by Sneak Attack makes doing just a few more from STR significantly less important than having a few extra AC.

1: Weapon Finesse, Improved Unarmed Strike (so that my character is less dependant on my weapons not being confiscated at some earlier point; I picture him as being fairly paranoid about that.)
3: Improved Initiative (so that he can catch enemies flat-footed more often)
6: Craven
9: Telling Blow
11: (instead of special ability) Superior Unarmed Strike
12: Two Weapon Fighting
14: (instead of special ability) Sacred Strike
15: TwoWeapon Defense
17: (special ability) Opportunist
18: Improved TWD
20: (special ability) Crippling Strike 
25: Lingering Damage
29: Sneak Attack of Opportunity

What do you guys think? Am I putting too much emphasis on the TWD chain (and if so, should I focus on the other TWF feats for more attacks / round)? Should I get more Special Abilities instead of general feats? Is there something I haven't heard of?

I don't particularly like:
Deadly Precision
Head Shot

Although I would be more than willing to try:
Arterial Strike
Deafening Strike
Disembowling Strike
Impeding atack
Hamstring
Stunning Fist
Thraot Punch

Founder - but not owner - of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Why there should be the option to use alignment systems:
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

TWD is crap. Improved TWF can be obtained with an item. An Unarmed Swordsage (Tome of Battle) is better than a rogue. Swashbuckler (Complete Warrior) grants Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. Daring Outlaw (Complete Scoundrel) combines rogue & swashbuckler levels for determining certain class features, including sneak attack.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls

I'm going to put forward a rather unconventional idea.

Unearthed Arcana has a variant monk fighting style called sleeping tiger that gives you weapon finesse as a bonus feat at 1st level instead of the normal options. Complete Adventurer has a feat called ascetic rogue that allows you to add your rogue level to your monk level to determine your unarmed strike damage.

One problem you might have with this approach is that you may not be aiming to play a lawful character. Dragon magazine 335 has a chaotic variant of monk on page 88. Alternatively, you could begin at 1st level as an ex-monk, so you wouldn't have to change alignment during the game.

Dragon Compendium has a feat called kung fu genius that lets you use your intelligence modifier in place of your wisdom modifier for all monk abilities. Champions of Valor has a feat that could serve as a replacement called carmendine monk, but it might conflict with being an ex-monk.