About Superior Implement Usage

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, simple question... I just don't get them.

I just know you can buy them, and enchant them... so if I but a crystal orb and enchant it to be a Magic Orb, would it be a Supperior Magic Orb?

Also, about the Superior Implement Training (Crystal Orb) feat... I just don't get what it means with " you gain a +2 to damage rolls if the power has the keyword that matches the implement's damage type" ..... I don't see any "damage type" on implements -.-U
 if I but a crystal orb and enchant it to be a Magic Orb, would it be a Supperior Magic Orb?

Yes.

PHBIII 195 Superior Implements:  Despite their magical origin, superior Implements aren't magic item per se, but like non-superior implements, they can be enchanted with the Enchant Magic Item ritual.

what it means with " you gain a +2 to damage rolls if the power has the keyword that matches the implement's damage type"

It refers to the Energized property damage type. For a Crystal Orb, if the attack power you use  has the Psychic keyword, you gain a bonus to damage rolls.

PHBIII 195 Crystal Orb: Energized (psychic)
A superior implement simply gives you a little extra something when you use it. For example, an Accurate superior implement will give you a +1 to attack rolls. You can check out the rules in PHB 3 for all of the properties and rules. But basically, it's an implement that gives you an added bonus. It can still be enchanted with any other enchantment because the 'superior' part is inherent to the implement itself.
But you also need the Superior Implement Training feat to use one.
No you don't need the feat to use a Superior Implement, only proficiency. If have proficiency and don't have the feat you won't benefit from its properties.

PHBIII 195 Wielding a Superior Implement: You need the Superior lmplement Training feat to gain the benefits of a specific superior implement. lf you wield a superior implement and don't have the feat for it, you don't gain the benefits of its properties, but you can use it as a normal implement of its type, assuming, you're able to use Implements of that type.

That's what I meant. There's no point in using one if you can't benefit from its properties, therefore you need the feat.
That's what I meant. There's no point in using one if you can't benefit from its properties, therefore you need the feat.

Except it still functions as a normal implement of its type.  And if you don't have a normal implement of its type and are an implement user that sounds like a good plan.  I know I always by a sup implement whenever I make a new caster because... why not?  I'll probably take sup implement in a couple of levels and maybe I won't have found a magical implement by then.  I also will request from my DM that all implements found that are intended for me be of a superior nature if at all possible.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Ok and how do I do this on the Insider Character Builder?

I have a monk whose Superior Implement Training is Mountain Ki Focus... I can find the unenchanted version, but I can't find the Enchanted Mountain Ki -.-
The Superior Implement should appear in your Item selection.  [Magic Item/Weapon/Implement/Superior Implement/Item]
Sign In to post comments