Word of Power Spells

I find no reference to the “word of power” spell classification in the 12/17 rules.  I assume it remains as it was and means the spell can be cast as part of another action; there are, however, some concerns, for the concentration rules have changed – can concentration be maintained while casting a word of power spell?

Happy gamin'

Rogue Tom   

Happy gamin'

Rogue Tom

Someone has a twitter exchange with Mike Mearls that basically said the Word of Power rules were accidentally left out of this packet. It is supposed to work the same way.

As for concentration, the only spellcasting that breaks concentration is another spell requiring concentration. (How to Play, pg. 23) 
I don't do that twitter stuff so thanks for the info

Happy gamin'

Rogue Tom

Here's the tweet if you are curious:

@conzago Are "Word of Powers" gone?
@mikemearls Nope, they are still there. I think the text was moved into the spell itself as a keyword.
Can someone give me a little more detailed explanation of "word of power" please? I don't have the earlier versions and am not familiar with this game mechanic and have seen it mentioned a couple of times. Thanks in advanced.
As I gather from some other threads (I only started playtesting with the latest packet), a word of power spell is one that allows you to cast the spell and still take another action that doesn't involve casting a spell (attacking, withdrawing, whatever).
Thank you Forged_Fury.
As I gather from some other threads (I only started playtesting with the latest packet), a word of power spell is one that allows you to cast the spell and still take another action that doesn't involve casting a spell (attacking, withdrawing, whatever).

more specifically, an action that requires no speaking
The other action also cannot involve activating a magic item.

Here's the text:

Word of Power: Some spells require you to speak only 
a few words in order to cast them. Such a spell is marked as a 
word of power in its description. When you use an action to cast 
a word of power on the cleric’s spell list, you can use the same 
action to take another action immediately after casting the spell. 
The other action cannot involve casting a spell, activating a magic 
item, ordoing anything that requires you to speak.

Hi,

This is more of a Playtest Packet Discussion I'll be moving it along over there.

Thanks!

Monica
Sign In to post comments