Izzet Spellsplosion (I need a better name for this...)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I saw a deck someone had built using ink-treader nephilim to throw spells around, and I've been making decks using ravnica and return to ravnica cards I decided that that would be a good idea for an izzet so here goes:
4 nivmagus elemental
4 ink-treader nephilim
4 goblin electromancer
4 electrolyze
4 traitorous instinct
4 izzet charm
4 convolute
4 clutch of the undercity or dramatic rescue 
4 mana fixers
4 izzet guildgate 4 transguild promenade 8 mountain 8 island 

so as far as mana fixers we've got 2 chromatic lantern and 4 drift of phantasms, orb4 terrarion, I'm leaning toward the lanterns, but theyre slightly expensive and i'd like to get some opinions in it. Also, do you think i could drop 2 lands for more spells if i went for the lanterns?
Blistercoil Weird won't profit from the copies, not sure if you are aware of that. I'd probably cut them for 2 Precursor Golem (as "bad" nephilims 5-6) and a 2-of of another spell to abuse.
I really like the Nivmagus Elemental here to either exile malevolent spells targeting your creatures or benvolent spells targeting your opponents critters.
Why do you run Convolute over Mana Leak?
I'd run Clutch of the Undercity, it's another wincon and can tutor up your nephilim via transmute (of course only if you can fix your mana enough to produce ).
I'd run 4 guildgate, 8 mountain, 8 Island, 4 Shimmering Grotto/Transguild Promenade in addition to your 4 artifact mana fixers.
I think "Spellsplosion" is a fine name for an Izzet deck myself.  Although this isn't necessarily an Izzet deck, but still
Blistercoil Weird won't profit from the copies, not sure if you are aware of that. I'd probably cut them for 2 Precursor Golem (as "bad" nephilims 5-6) and a 2-of of another spell to abuse.
Why do you run Convolute over Mana Leak?
I'd run Clutch of the Undercity, it's another wincon and can tutor up your nephilim via transmute (of course only if you can fix your mana enough to produce ).
I'd run 4 guildgate, 8 mountain, 8 Island, 4 Shimmering Grotto/Transguild Promenade in addition to your 4 artifact mana fixers.

Yeah, blistercoils are a little meh, but even using them with one or two spells was fun in a game I was playing earlier, maybe swap them for goblin electromancers to make spell casting cheaper. The real problem I'm having is that chromatic lanterns are $3 a piece and the decks already up there, so my options as far as I'm looking at them is I can run 2 lanterns and use drift of phantasms to tutor for them or run terrarion, which i've never ran with any of those sac for mana cards...maybe i just need to play to see if I'll like them...
Also I'm building this deck from ravnica cards, so convolute is the best of the bunch so far IMO 

Although this isn't necessarily an Izzet deck, but still

It's blue and red except 2 creature cards that create a flurry of spells flying about and a set of half blue spells that are better than anything pure blue is offering in these sets so far. atleast give it points for being in the mindset of izzet
Izzet or not, have you considered Eye of the Storm instead of Nephilim?  It's a really fun card when you build around it the right way, and it plays similarly without being as color intensive as Ink-Treaders.

just a thought

And you're right, it's in the Izzet spirit, but I tend to think of them as RU and nothing else 
I built another one that I'm happy with using eye of the storm, that nephilim seemed like a good card to make a supplemental/alternative take on izzet
Sign In to post comments